Nikon Z50

Comments

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    The Z6 and 7 don't do eye-AF in video, only face detect. Not sure about the Z50.

For stills, Z6/7 have had eye-AF since last May when the 2.00 firmware was released, and it's been working well for me, although I'm using Z7.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited October 2019
    Does any camera do Eye AF in video? I didn't think they did? Not even the Sonys.

Its not really necessary since people don't pixel peep (or crop) video the same way that they do stills. And the resolution is much less - 4k video is only about 8.5 mp.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    Yeah, I don't think it's really necessary either, but i think the latest Sony firmware added it for video.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    mhedges said:

Does any camera do Eye AF in video? I didn't think they did? Not even the Sonys.

Its not really necessary since people don't pixel peep (or crop) video the same way that they do stills. And the resolution is much less - 4k video is only about 8.5 mp.

You can check this link:
    https://provideocoalition.com/sony-alpha-7r-iv-61mp-sensor-debuts-real-time-eye-af-for-movie-shooting/
    Pretty impressive, however what is most important for Sony's eye AF versus Nikon's is that eye AF works in ALL different autofocus modes, not just the automatic one like on the Z7/Z6. That means if you shoot dynamic area, for example, you can have the camera automatically pick up eye AF under your points. Nikon is pretty far behind in mirrorless AF, which is strange considering they were in the lead for DSLR autofocus. Hopefully once the D6 comes out, the A-list autofocus team can get moved over to help the mirrorless cameras out.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

Pretty impressive, however what is most important for Sony's eye AF versus Nikon's is that eye AF works in ALL different autofocus modes, not just the automatic one like on the Z7/Z6. That means if you shoot dynamic area, for example, you can have the camera automatically pick up eye AF under your points. Nikon is pretty far behind in mirrorless AF, which is strange considering they were in the lead for DSLR autofocus. Hopefully once the D6 comes out, the A-list autofocus team can get moved over to help the mirrorless cameras out.

Totally agree with that. I wish eye AF worked in Dynamic Area AF. I don't like shooting in the Auto Area AF (or whichever one it is) mode that the eye detect requires.
    How exactly does eye AF work in other focus modes on the Sonys? Does it just allow you to toggle between eye AF and the other selected mode, or does it actually affect the operation of the mode in some way? If the latter, I'm struggling to imagine how that would work. If the former, wouldn't Nikon just need to add the AF-ON + AF Area Mode customization option to the Zs.
    BVS said:

How exactly does eye AF work in other focus modes on the Sonys? Does it just allow you to toggle between eye AF and the other selected mode, or does it actually affect the operation of the mode in some way? If the latter, I'm struggling to imagine how that would work. If the former, wouldn't Nikon just need to add the AF-ON + AF Area Mode customization option to the Zs.

After poking around a bit, it looks like the Sony eye AF in other focus modes basically just looks for an eye in the smaller AF area of the other modes. If so, I don't think that should be too hard for Nikon to add. Unfortunately, the only other modes on the Zs that might be useful for this are the Wide area modes.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I noted the other day that the Canon 90D has 32 MP and 24 FPS and its DX so why would I buy a stupid 20 MP Nikbox?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2019
    Because it is a crop sensor that fits into your already existing system. If you don't like this one there will be more to come soon.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited November 2019
    And except for a few, the Canon crop sensor lenses are rubbish (the new fill frame are very good), so you will get better IQ from the Nikon despite the lower mp.

Sensor resolution is now at the point where only the finest lenses are not found wanting.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    Agreed. That is one reason switching to the Z body using S lenses is a NIkon shooter's future; as soon as there is a Z body suitable to your desires. I want a body with two card slots and built in vertical grip. It doesn't have to be more than 20 or 24 megapixels for "normal" use. Also, sell the same body with a higher megapixel sensor at slower fps for landscape and studio work. Basically, produce a Z body with about D4 specs (but a 24 mp sensor) and offer an x variant with a higher mp sensor. Alternatively, offer a Z body with about D850 specs (add on vertical grip) as an all around performer and an x variant with the higher megapixel sensor. I am hopeful for a lower spec FX sensor Z body below the Z6 and two higher spec FX Z bodies above the Z7. The sooner, the better. I am almost ready to go all mirrorless.
    edited November 2019

Agreed. . Also, sell the same body with a higher megapixel sensor at slower fps for landscape and studio work. Basically, produce a Z body with about D4 specs (but a 24 mp sensor) and offer an x variant with a higher mp sensor.
    The sooner, the better. I am almost ready to go all mirrorless.

Based on my "body" theory in the other thread you will get this in the Z8 and Z9.

I think you will see the enthusiast cameras before this pro however. The updated roadmap shows no S line 1.2 lenses in it except the 50. I think that Nikon is using that and the Noct as a place holder to show everyone what is possible and coming while they focus on the low end. I will get a few years out of my DSLRs yet which is fine, as the D6 is going to be a big spend.

In the meantime, if they come out with a Z5 based on the Z50, I will buy it with the compact primes in the roadmap.
    You took that the wrong way ..I meant why if canon can do 32mp why do Nikon bring out a 20mp? oh I remember they have a contract with Sony for 120000 of the sensors
    edited November 2019

You took that the wrong way ..I meant why if canon can do 32mp why do Nikon bring out a 20mp? oh I remember they have a contract with Sony for 120000 of the sensors

I doubt many, or even any, of the APS-C lenses coming out will even benefit from much over 24mp. Nikon is the only one that is going to be honest about that.

Those extra megapickels are going to cost money you know. I would rather have a cheaper camera or spend money on more useful features rather than spend money on a marketing gimmick. For example, the ergonomics and build of the Z50 look really good. That is why I am chomping at the bit for Nikon to come out with a full frame Z5.

And strategically, it gives Nikon a way to iterate easily if that really becomes a debilitating marketing issue.

Remember that an APS-C camera is a compromise. I want Nikon to compromise in useful ways, not useless ways that don't add value.

Now for full frame

Drum role...….

Bring on the Megapickels!!!!!!!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

I noted the other day that the Canon 90D has 32 MP and 24 FPS and its DX so why would I buy a stupid 20 MP Nikbox?

Probably because Canon Rumors won't put up with you! :D :D :D
    Always learning.

Remember that an APS-C camera is a compromise. I want Nikon to compromise in useful ways, not useless ways that don't add value.

Why is crop a compromise? Does that mean that full frame is a compromise in comparison to medium format and so on?

Please explain.
    Always learning.
    Correct, they are all compromises. They all have pros and cons. Camera and lens designers should design based on these pros and cons. Canon having a 30 mp plus APS-C sensor with mediocre glass is a poor design decision, unless they plan on upgrading their glass very soon.
    edited November 2019
    So use fx glass and get better results by using the centre of the Lens. I don't see DX as inferior unless I want differential focus. I often want big dof then it is superior.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    For me the point of using a crop camera would be to get a higher pixel density than I can get with full frame. In other words, 32 mp is somewhat interesting and 20 is not. Canon has very sharp long prime lenses that will give great reach with the 32 mp crop camera.
    Still trying to understand sprays inappropriate comment but Snakebunk has it to perfection..pixel density for the birds. While I am happy with the 20mp D850 DX crop how much happier would I be with 32. I would not buy canon as they have a policy of sacking people 1 month before retirement to avoid paying a pension, a policy which caused big mental health problems for my wifes father
    "sprays inappropriate comment" Just a joke. We love having you here pistnbroke. You add a unique perspective and are not afraid to express unpopular views. Yes, there is a reason to offer a high megapixel DX sensor and maybe Nikon will see the market for doing so. While 24 mp seems to have become the "standard" for DX I would love to see Nikon return to the D3 and D3x strategy of offering an x variation of many of their higher end bodies. Maybe a z70 and z70x with the x version being a high megapixel DX sensor. It seems to me Nikon can so easily capture more sales that way and appeal to a wider audience. It seems so cost effective to use all the same stuff but just add a higher megapixel sensor and retune the software to it. How much more can that cost? $100? Also, the S lenses are going to be capable of using a high megapixel DX sensor.
    Just received my Z50 with the 16-50mm lens. I have to say I am quite impressed. Of course, I would like to have more features and more DX sized lens options (which will come) but it seems to me this Z50 is all the Nikon 1 should have been. It is Nikon 1 version 2.0 in some ways. I would like to see Nikon produce a compact lightweight plastic fantastic lens in the 18-80 or so f2.8 to f4 range. Need to get better than f6.3 at portrait range for a truly versatile "one lens does all" type walk about zoom lens. Give me at least f4 and 100mm (FF equivalent) ability in a versatile sized zoom. With that I can get nice background separation and can always simply move the subject further from the background to blur it more. Maybe it will come. I expect Nikon will produce Zxx bodies both below and above Z50. Of course, I will want the Z70 or whatever it is named because it will have more features. Also, this is really a great size body and could a platform for a FF sensor as a Z3, Z4 or so model with some FF pancake lenses. So busy now that it may be a month before I can do some serious shooting with it to test its abilities. From what I can see now I should be able to produce fine poster size prints at ISO 5,000 shot in jpeg. 20 mp is enough and high ISO noise reduction and color is great in out of camera jpegs. Less and less reason to shoot RAW as long as you get your exposure right and the dynamic range of the scene doesn't require bringing up shadows. One can always also "cheat" a bit in jpeg by using Nikon's Active D-Lighting. I had not thought it would be this good. Of course, FF is better in many ways but the Z50 is really noticeably smaller and lighter such that it can always be taken along "just in case." It will be no problem to use a Z50 to get a great shot when you happen across one and you will be able to print it to a size larger than you expect.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Great, I am very curious about your findings. I saw it last friday and it's a camera you can put in your pocket.

I tried it and was able to shoot with 1/10 or a second with ISO 200, which means for me that the VR in the 2 lenses are as good as the IBIS from the Z6, impressive.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Think of it as a Nikon 1 version 2 with a DX sensor or as a Coolpix A with interchangeable lenses or if those two morphed into the best of both in one body. I also can get sharp pictures at lower shutter speed than I had imagined which means I am not missing IBIS. It seem great to me as long as you evaluate it for what it is, a DX sensor small body without all the features you have in the Z6 and Z7 bodies and don't expect it to do everything a Z body with a FF sensor can do. I think there will be more in the Dxx series.
    edited November 2019
    I handled the Z50 the other day. Very solid piece of APS-C. With the 16-50 lens on it closed, the section with the lens and the section with the grip is the same thickness, so it will fit into a small bag easily. I am looking forward to a full frame version with the compact primes.
    Post edited by spraynpray on