Nikon D780

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Hopefully we will start to see real reviews soon. I'm curious if it really only does 3 FPS in live view w/ mechanical shutter.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    DaveyJ said:

Photobug, Did you try the D780 yet? Looks like it will take awhile to get to local dealers!

I made a big mistake this afternoon and went to the local dealer. They received five D780; 3 for presale units and 1 for stock and 1 to show.

No I did not buy the D780 BUT I am thinking it over....very strongly.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Spent 20 minutes with the new D780 and here are my initial impressions in no particular order. I had the salesman put the Nikon 24-70 2.8 on the body.

The overall feel of the D780 is good and you can tell that the grip is deeper than the D750. Ergonomically nicely done. The 3-buttons near the shutter release was not an issue and I liked the ISO button on that surface, very handy. The AF-On button was nicely located for my thumb (mid size hand). I was originally concerned about the location of the LV and Movie/Camera button but it's out of the way and not an issue. The EA-Lock F button was moved down. I do use this occasionally so it's just means learning and training memory muscles.

I had no issues holding the new body for vertical photos. I am a big battery grip user because I love the duplicate buttons on the grip for vertical shots. I did look at the bottom plate several times. Is Nikon heading in a direction where the battery grip is only on the D850 and no other cameras? It's built into the D6/D5.

The higher image quality on the LCD screen is excellent. Loved the touch screen for moving through menus and the "back up" arrow in the upper right corner. Very nice even with the protective screen still on the LCD screen. The ability to fire the shutter by touching the screen was cool.

Did find some new menu items but did not explore all of them.

I switched to live view and and played with the AF system, watching it track all over the screen.

Switched to Movie mode and that was some experience. Liked what I saw on screen and the AF focus tracking. What a huge...no Gigantic improvement from my D750.

I fired off a round of shots in CH mode. No issues with the sound from me. Did this numerous times from 2 to 20 frames. Wait until you try this in Live View. The sound is different then the 750 but not a nuisance sound. Switched to QCH and no complaints.

With no flash, I wonder if I will now have to tote my large flash for fill use...not handy or if I will buy their small flash for that use. Who knows.

The store manager, a friend, asked if I was buying a new DSLR to replaced my "OUTDATED D750". We laughed. Told the salesman I would think it over. I really was on the fence.

On the drive home I reached these conclusions about the D780:
    a. If you shoot lots of video photography, this is a must buy camera.
    b. If you shoots lots of pictures and little video, the decision is harder. It's hard to justify the launch price. But if the IQ tests of the D780 is better than the D750 and you want the "best of the best", you need to buy the D780. Remember, this is my personal option.
    c. If you shoot a mix of video and still pictures, you need to buy the D780.
    d. If you have money to burn, what are you waiting for?

After thinking it over, I see a new D780 in my future.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    As always Photobug’s posts are wonderful. This one is awesome. Now to go look at the 24-70 and the 24-120 as the lens to get with the camera. Wish I had the cash right now, as I’d just do it!
    DaveyJ said:

As always Photobug’s posts are wonderful. This one is awesome. Now to go look at the 24-70 and the 24-120 as the lens to get with the camera. Wish I had the cash right now, as I’d just do it!

Wow...thank you DaveyJ. Your last sentence is correct..."Just Do It!". :)
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    It's a hard sell at 2300 US (is that still the current price?). I switched to Nikon last summer and got a refurbished D850 for (I think) 2699. Why would anyone buy a D780 when they could get a D850 for a few hundred more?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2020
    Well if the D780 is like the D750, it's way better in low light for one thing, and not everyone needs or wants 40+MP. Also some people don't want to have to go out and buy all new XQD or CFexpress cards when they have a large stable of good SD cards. That's one reason I'd never pick up a D850 or full frame Z camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I think the new D780 does have a lot of advantages, even next to the wonderful D850. . PB PM mentions my take on this. So those like us are waiting for either the price to lower, or a D500X to upgrade the Spectacular Race and Wildlife D500 with a better even video, and a newer enhanced ExSpeed 7. Or ExSpeed 6 with many traits of the Z6 but the speed and handling of an OVF. Of course they better still have two card slots and vertical grip capability. Personally I would not want vertical grip. But the D500 is tough on batteries. The excellent D7500 will never be upgraded as the reduced features from the D7200 were taken as downgrades when in fact it is an amazing camera. Thom Hogan rates it highly, and it is my single go to camera. Built in flash is essential for a field use camera. The one card slot has never failed me. But the Z50 style DX out to the edge video, etc., does show an upgraded D7500 would be a great DX DSLR, But Nikon’s bean counters and engineers failed to see the impact of stepping some features backward.

Therefore I summarize the D780 was a great cooperate maneuver and will be a factor in future Niko success. However, they better continue DX improvements as that sensor size has tremendous advantages for adventure, travel, and field use. Primarily depth of field, reduced size and weight, and price tag. The false MP claims of cell phones coming out in China sell cell phones but fail to produce images that would eclipse cameras by a long shot!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    PB_PM said:

Well if the D780 is like the D750, it's way better in low light for one thing, and not everyone needs or wants 40+MP. Also some people don't want to have to go out and buy all new XQD or CFexpress cards when they have a large stable of good SD cards. That's one reason I'd never pick up a D850 or full frame Z camera.

What he said.
    Always learning.
    PB_PM said:

I get the first stuff, but I think eventually you will have to say goodbye to SD if you want to buy the current higher end FF models. From any manufacturer. SD had it's day but its time for something better.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    XQD and CF express will not get the mass market like SD cards, not at the asking prices that they are demanding. SD controls the market and will continue to do so for that very reason, price. Inferior products have won out in the market time and time again for this very reason. Will SD be replaced? Yes, will it be another kind of physical storage? Maybe, but it will be one that will be affordable for the masses, not something that is exclusive to high end expensive hardware.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I don't think there will be an SD replacement that will be anywhere near as mass market as SD was. SD will stick around for applications that don't need high performance. For devices that need higher performance it seems to me CFexpress is it, at least as far as cameras are concerned. All the major FF players except Sony support it. And I expect Sony will come on board eventually - I think using SD in A7IV was a mistake.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    CFExpress will be obsolete and cheaper than SD before any upgrade to SD comes to pass.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    D850 does have one slot that's SD.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    What tc88 said. I only use SD cards in my D850.
    PB_PM said:

Totally agree PB_PM.
    If I ever get a D780 I’ll have to get a 24-120 FF lens. It is equivalent to the 16-80 on DX but with the problem the 16-80DX is rated better than the 24-120 from what I see. I’d need that range desperately. I have FF old Nikon 20-35 2.8 from the film days, a GREAT lens then..,and the 200-500 f 5.6 Nikkor and several FF older 70-300 lens, none the latest, and that would really require an additional purchase of the 24-120. That for certain is why I wait not very patiently for a D500 upgrade maybe named a D500X. What do our experts think of that 24-120 Nikkor lens?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited February 2020
    "What do our experts think of that 24-120 Nikkor lens?" I am not an expert but do have some experience I can share. The general rep on it is that it is versatile but not that sharp. However, experience varies. Check out these two examples of crops from a 3/4th body (knee up) original image taken for a fitness center to showcase some of their instructors. Click through to flickr, look at the largest size there, check out the eyes. This is the D850 on a tripod and the 24-120 lens shot at f5.6 and at around 50mm. I was amazed. Remember, if you buy one I do not guarantee these same results!

850_4922_pp5x7crop2_32259966198_o

850_4401_ppheadshot_32216835778_o
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    I sold my 24-120 f4 VR due to terrible IQ at around 80-100mm. Great elsewhere, but terrible there. They must be very variable - poor QC.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited February 2020
    Had two sold two ,terrible ,back focus jumping all over during the first wedding shoot. not too sharp, bad focus breathing , just get a 28-300 or 24-85 VR and be done with it .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I love it, the Nikon D850, 1/250, ISO 100 with f/5.6, about 50mm and flash on, no chance to get an unsharp photo :). Just for fun, do the same with these settings with any camera - lens combination.

In flying we wish each other, blue sky and tailwind.
    In photography this can be, 1/250, f/8 and ISO 100.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

"What do our experts think of that 24-120 Nikkor lens?" I am not an expert but do have some experience I can share. The general rep on it is that it is versatile but not that sharp. However, experience varies.

I bought the D750/24-120 kit as my main wedding combo, having the 70-200 f4 VR on my D7100 as back up/candid rig. I have to say I feel Nikon failed me miserably with that lens. The camera was great, but the lens was very disappointing.

Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Note that my pictures above were shot at around 50mm and f5.6 with studio strobe, same as Ton14 found works well. I do not contest the opinions of others and I am not a wedding photographer. I just grab a few snaps for friends while being careful not to disturb the paid photographer.

This photo was shot with the D850 and 28-300 zoom at 300mm wide open. The bride and groom were standing on the other side of a small stream waiting in line for an announced entrance to the dance. The bride is holding a copy of the Super Bowl trophy (her team just won it) behind her back because she wants to surprise the guests with it as she enters. I did not, and could not, pose them. They were too far away to even talk to them. Just a grab shot when the groom noticed me and smiled. Not the best technically, not the sharpest, had to shoot 300mm at 1/200th second, not the best combination. Yet, the couple love it printed 16x20. Sometimes sharpness is not important, especially to women who often prefer a hazy look because it hides skin imperfections and lines. Pistnboke is correct that this lens and body combo is very versatile.

850_2675a_pp_45378858274_o

It seems to me the best lens choices these days are the Z mount S class lenses. I don't buy F mount anymore, new or used. Yes, Nikon does not produce the Z mount mirrorless body we want, yet. But they will. This year or next year we will be getting more Z bodies.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, precious shots, that's what it's all about, great shot Donald. This is what you want. If you try to pose people like this, you have a hard time.

Edit: I love this one, super.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Totally agree with Ton14 about the wedding photo. Really nice. Some times these shots are the winner over the professionally posed and lighted photos. Love it.