Over-exposed spot on a d7200 anyone know what it is?

I've been thinking about grabbing a d7500 or d7200 to get a bit more reach out of the 200-500mm and to give my d750 a breather for a while and I came across a d7200 but in some photos it has what seems like a sever overexposed area he says but only some. I cant see the camera in person so I cant look at the sensor or anything but never seen anything like it.

http://img.gg/LrAB9NM

Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    looks like either flare or a reflection from inside the camera or lens. Ask the guy to take a shot with a different lens?
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

looks like either flare or a reflection from inside the camera or lens. Ask the guy to take a shot with a different lens?

I asked about the lens, no reply. maybe offer $200, its worth a shot

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    You will not increase your reach by going to a D7200. The image of the bird will still be the same size on the sensor but with the D7200 it will have more pixels on it so in theory will have more definition. You then have to consider "the quality of the pixels" ie will the 7500 although with fewer pixels give a better image because of better processing? I am always surprised that the 20 MP DX crop on the D850 has better IQ than the 24 on the D7200.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited April 2020
    I shoot wildlife with both a D7200 and a D500. I tend to use the D7200 for things that do not move fast and the D500 for things that do. I pre ordered the D500 so had it before the D7500 came out. If I were doing it now I would skip the D7500 and go straight to the D500. Just too many things missing on the D7500 that the D500 has. I like the D7200 enough I see no need for a D7500. Not sure I can tell the difference between the D7200 shots and the D500 when I hit the shot like I should. Sometimes I have to stop and think which one I am using because of small differences in the controls. If Nikon would update the D500 to 30 MP it would delay my move to FX.
    Post edited by retread on
    A 30mp DX would require only the most expensive lenses to get the very best out of it according to popular theory.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2020
    Interesting point S&P but is 24-30 a big jump? I saw something recently saying you could pixel peep and by examination determine if its the lens or the sensor that is limiting the IQ..anyone else see it or remember the details?

" update to 30 MP would stop my upgrade to FX" good reason they won't then.

"only the most expensive lenses to get the very best" or buy a Tamron ...
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If I did the math right the 45 MP D850 is 30 MP in DX crop mode so a 30 MP DX should be possible. A 60 MP FX sensor would make a 40 MP DX sensor. Nikon could make a top sports wildlife DX if they wanted. I have a sigma sport lens that is incredibly sharp. May not be much savings in weight and size though.
    edited May 2020
    @retread: I don't think you did (get the maths right). D850 in DX is almost 20mP I think?

@Pistnbroke: Or a Sigma. My 24-35 f2 on my D850 is brilliant. I fancy the 15-30 Tamron but I am a little wary of Tamrons build quality in comparison.

We're getting off track here...
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    Believe me, I get all that and on pixels on target is the goa, well one of them... the other is to give my d750 a break for a while, I think it just passed 200k
    edited May 2020
    Quite right SandP a D850 is 20 mp at DX crop. I think retread forgot its a square law not 45 div by 1.5...all good fun but you need the console with most tamrons.
    Of topic yes but in these coronavirus days if nobody talks the forum dies .
    I am very happy with my two Tam 100-400 lenses .equivalent in IQ to the 200-500nikon but a lot lighter ( and cheaper at £400)
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Back to the OP's point - that's really strange. Agree it looks like some kind of flare, or maybe a weird reflection in camera or something reflecting onto that portion of the subject.
    edited May 2020
    or its a reflection from the guys watch on his left wrist ..seen that on walls before.
    Why would you post a pic to sell the camera with that problem ?? Strange.
    If your D750 has gone past 200k its worthless for resale so you might as well keep going .