Nikon D780

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Has anyone else had the opportunity to hold and shoot the D780? What were your thoughts of the camera?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well if that photo had been taken by me the left hand with the ring would not have been around the back out of view..thats why the groom is on the right of the bride to leave the ring hand visible. But I agree with toni all this bokeh is lost on the customers ..I shot all my weddings with the 28-300 at f8
  • NIKONTNNIKONTN Posts: 80Member
    My experience with the 24-120f4 has been a good one after I used lens aline. For that Mater16-35f4 never impressed me until I calibrated it.Even my two tamrons are a lot sharper. I even calibrate my monitors, I guess being a controls and instrumentation tech for 34 yrs has given me ocd (lol).
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Good points about showing the ring finger and bokeh. I have never had a person react to a photo with "Wow, wonderful background blur!" They just look at the subject and if that subject is themselves they are evaluating whether they look good, look fat, or look old.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
    Is ther any information (official) which cards are best for D780?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    axlrose said:

Is ther any information (official) which cards are best for D780?

See what Thom Hogan has to say. He has a D780 blog.
    Can anyone help me with something? When I had D750, when I change modes AF-S and AF-c, those settings appeared on my back display too. With d780 nothing happens, when I change them. I can only track it via top screen. Any chance to make it visible on rear lcd too?

Thanks.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Did you press the info button to bring the display up? I for one think it's great that they have made the change, the rear screen on the D750 comes on way to often for no reason.

You know you can also see the focus mode selected in the viewfinder as you press and rotate the dial right?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

Did you press the info button to bring the display up? I for one think it's great that they have made the change, the rear screen on the D750 comes on way to often for no reason.

You know you can also see the focus mode selected in the viewfinder as you press and rotate the dial right?

Hi.
    Yes, I know, but I was really satisfied with option to see the changes (also setting ISO, etc) on the rear screen. It is not that needed feature, since I am satisfied with so many other things, but I thought it can be set. I guess I just have to get used to it. :)
    A big box arrived yesterday. I have a brand new Nikon D780, two new memory cards and a Nikon Advanced Camera bag. Initial impressions - WOW, very nice. Now I need to sit down and customize the camera to my need. Also got a thin glass LCD screen protector to install...have not removed the packing plastic cover applied by Nikon.

The shutter mechanism noise level in normal mode is nice. Different than the D750. Now I need to get the strap on the camera, settings adjusted as well as pulling the D750 gear together for picture taking so I can sell it.

I need more hours in a day to tweak the new D780 and take pictures.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    When you say the shutter sound is different, do you mean quieter, or just a different pitch?
    PB_PM - just did a comparison between the two cameras. The D780 is quieter than the D750 - normal shooting mode, NOT quiet mode. It's not even close. In addition, the feel in the hand at low shutter speed, the D750 sound is bigger and more contained in the D780 to the shutter area. Hope that makes sense.

I'll try to check quite shutter mode tomorrow.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    You can check the db with the app on your phone
    You know I forgot about the app...when I got the new phone last year I did not have them move that app. No issue, I'll just download it again.
    Spent all afternoon with the D780 and the ergonomics are very slightly different to different from the D750.

Then a side-by-side review of the menus, carrying over my favorites. I did find a small change that I just love. With the D750, when you push the "help ?" button you had to hold it in to read the text. When you release the button the text disappears. The D780 got it right; you push and release the "Help ?" button and the text stays on the screen until you push the "?" button again.

First thing I did the day I got the camera, downloaded the new firmware and update the camera. Also downloaded the 900+ page PDF manual.

Got to retrain my brain. I use the AF/EF button for back button focus on the D750. With the built in dedicated back focus button (AF ON) on the D780 my thumb is hitting the Live View button. The back focus button is halfway between the Live View and the main command dial. What a pain when the view finder goes blank because I hit the Live View button. :'(

The new RRS "L" bracket arrived today for the D780. Major change from the D750 "L" bracket.

A very slight ergonomic design change to the right of the Main Command Dial button. Really like the new location of the ISO button but the ergonomics of that surface is different. With usage that difference should go away.

In the menus, lots of new stuff to learn, most of it is easy. There must be six to nine menu line items that moved from one location to another.

Your going to love this....the body comes set with the AF-On and pushing the shutter release button half way down to lock the AF setting. That is probably for those that are not use to using a back focus button. Needless to say, that shutter button know longer locks focus or engages AF.

Another menu change I liked was before there were 5 menu line items for setting different buttons. Now it's one line item in the main menu and then there are sub menus for making changes. Really well thought out, there is a drawing of the camera and the button is in red as you move the cursor around to each button. So it's easy to pick the correct button.

I really like the touch screen in the menu. Tomorrow the Vello thin glass screen is going on and I hope it doesn't mess up the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Only one complaint so far. On the D750 I have it set to turn on the horizon level which turns off the horizontal and vertical lines. As of today, I did not find that function on the D780. Probably overlooked that option.

It's a great camera body.
    "Needless to say, that shutter button know longer locks focus or engages AF."
    What do you mean by this?

I have two d780. Jumped from D750 and so far, I am delighted. Much much better camera. LV shooting is perfect, fast, not laggy as D750's. Touch focus is superb improvement and overall, i like focusing with it. A slight struggle in the low light, but nothing to worry for a wedding dance.

The only "problem" is no grip, but I will get used to it. It is noticeable with longer lenses, like 70-200, but since I am doing weddings mainly, with two primes, there is no problem.

As you said, great camera.
    axlrose said:

"Needless to say, that shutter button know longer locks focus or engages AF."
    What do you mean by this?

As you said, great camera.

I changed the default settings so that the shutter release only releases the shutter and no longer engages the AF system or locks the the focus when you hold the shutter release button half down. I use the "AF-On" button on the back of the camera to engage and lock the AF system.

I saw your comments on the Live View shooting. Sunday and Monday I plan to experiment with the touch focus and live view shooting. Totally agree with the "laggy" focusing on the D750.

I also thought long and hard about the lack of grip on the D780 and decided to make the jump.

Oh, I see. I don't use BBF. I am tempted tho, but I don't have time to adopt. Weddings are always on and I can't experiment there. I am just too much used to classic half shutter button.
    But I learned to push it fast. I noticed that if I am lazy, it can soon cause it to be blurry image. :)
    So... currently I am enjoying the camera. Couple of photo shoots behind me and lovin' them.
    And important thing: eye-piece is still there. On D750 you could be sure to loose it.
    edited June 2020
    The D780, as an upgrade, illustrates a new normal that I first noticed with the D810 upgrade.

The sun is setting on the utility of significant upgrades to resolution. Arguably, the D850's sensor out resolves all but the best F-mount lenses and 60 mp will make that list even shorter. For mirrorless, that might be 80-90 mp depending on the Z mount lens.

Significant ISO improvements are a thing of the past. Closing the sensor gap to 100% theoretical effectiveness/efficiency is less than a stop away. Current improvements are mostly software related which only/mostly matters in camera if you are not shooting raw.

Consider the ISO/dynamic range difference between the D850's sensor and the D800's sensor. The improvement is not something I would have traded for most of the non-sensor improvements.

In the future, compelling upgrades will relate to workflow, ergonomics etc. The D810 and especially the D780 are examples of that.

Sounds like we have come full circle to the days of film cameras.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    In camera processing algorithms (at the analog to digital conversion stage) have made up most of the ISO gains in the past 8-10 years. The actual silicon hasn't improved much since 2012, the only big leap that came was the recent move to backlit illumination that came in the Z7/Z6/D850/D780 generation of sensors, and that is about as good as it's going to get. Any improvements here on out will come as a result of improvement in the AD conversion phase, or finding new material combinations that can better absorb light than modern silicon.

The AD conversion has yielded a stop every 2 years, not bad if you think about it. As low power SOC get more powerful, I would expect to see that trend continue for a few more generations, until the processors themselves hit the silicon wall (not far off either). The improvements the AD conversion brings is more visible in lower resolution sensors, because they are easier to compare side to side, since the pixel pitch remains the same.
    axlrose said:

Oh, I see. I don't use BBF. I am tempted tho, but I don't have time to adopt. Weddings are always on and I can't experiment there. I am just too much used to classic half shutter button.
    But I learned to push it fast. I noticed that if I am lazy, it can soon cause it to be blurry image. :)
    So... currently I am enjoying the camera. Couple of photo shoots behind me and lovin' them.
    And important thing: eye-piece is still there. On D750 you could be sure to loose it.

Oh I agree with you, if your use to using the shutter for AF and shutter activation making that change at a wedding is NOT a good idea. When you get a break in your photography, try it out and have you gain some experience, then decide which works best for you.

The D780, as an upgrade, illustrates a new normal that I first noticed with the D810 upgrade.

WestEndFoto - I really agree with your closing comment. When I was shooting the F6 it was a very refined film SLR. I waited until the D200 came out before jumping to digital, then 5 months later the D300 came out and I moved up to the D300 because of the improvements.

With digital, I think we are now at the same point, new bodies bring minor ergonomic and technology improvements. Been shooting Nikon for so many years, it's been a fun ride watching the changes from the old FM and N8080 bodies.
    I sure has Photobug. I have shelves full of film SLRs prominently displayed.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

The sun is setting on the utility of significant upgrades to resolution. Arguably, the D850's sensor out resolves all but the best F-mount lenses and 60 mp will make that list even shorter. For mirrorless, that might be 80-90 mp depending on the Z mount lens.

Significant ISO improvements are a thing of the past. Closing the sensor gap to 100% theoretical effectiveness/efficiency is less than a stop away. Current improvements are mostly software related which only/mostly matters in camera if you are not shooting raw.

Consider the ISO/dynamic range difference between the D850's sensor and the D800's sensor. The improvement is not something I would have traded for most of the non-sensor improvements.

In the future, compelling upgrades will relate to workflow, ergonomics etc. The D810 and especially the D780 are examples of that.

PB_PM said:

In camera processing algorithms (at the analog to digital conversion stage) have made up most of the ISO gains in the past 8-10 years. The actual silicon hasn't improved much since 2012, the only big leap that came was the recent move to backlit illumination that came in the Z7/Z6/D850/D780 generation of sensors, and that is about as good as it's going to get. Any improvements here on out will come as a result of improvement in the AD conversion phase, or finding new material combinations that can better absorb light than modern silicon.

The AD conversion has yielded a stop every 2 years, not bad if you think about it. As low power SOC get more powerful, I would expect to see that trend continue for a few more generations, until the processors themselves hit the silicon wall (not far off either). The improvements the AD conversion brings is more visible in lower resolution sensors, because they are easier to compare side to side, since the pixel pitch remains the same.

Great summation from those posts.

I dont know whether to feel happy or sad though. We still aren't near the low light performance that I would like, although much, much closer than the old days in digital.
    Always learning.
    The upcoming generations will likely improve ISO using cloud AI technology, similar to what Google is doing with Pixel phones. Of course that would mean one of the camera makers would actually have to come up with some good software, and we've yet to see that happen.