Adorama service is terrible

As I was packing for a nine day road trip through northern Arizona, I dropped my Nikon D850 and cracked the rear screen, rendering the screen unusable. I had been thinking about getting a second body as a backup and so I wouldn’t have to change lenses as often. I called my local dealer (Tucson Camera Repair) and they did not have one and I called Tempe Camera (which I would be driving by) and a customer was buying the only one they had.

When I was in Flagstaff the following morning I called Adorama and ordered one with next day air shipping to be sent to my lodge at the Grand Canyon. They took the address and billing information and all seemed fine. When I checked the PDF invoice on my phone they had somehow put in the shipping address as my old job in Tucson that I have not worked at in five years!

I immediately called and was put through to customer service and they informed me it had already left the warehouse (even though I had placed the order within the last half hour). They said they could put in a request to UPS to change the address but there was no guarantee it would happen. Sure enough, the next morning I got a call from the manager at my old job saying the package was there in Tucson. I had my old job send it next day air and I got it a day later (I was staying three nights at Grand Canyon).

When I got home I sent an email explaining the situation and stating I feel I am due compensation for the two shipping fees and the stress. To compensate I requested a $200 polarizing filter. They replied that they apologize for the inconvenience and if I give them the correct shipping address they will have UPS redirect the camera. What? I told them I already got the camera. So I sent a reply asking them to re-read my email. They replied they cannot send the filter (even though I am a long-time customer who has spent about twenty thousand dollars with them). The only thing they could do is give me a fifty dollar credit. That only covers the shipping I paid them and not even the shipping I have to pay my old job. In short, Adorama customer service is terrible. Not only did they put a damper on my vacation, they are too cheap to send a filter to a loyal customer to make up for it? Well I hope the few bucks they saved on the filter makes up for all the money they will lose on my future orders, because they just lost a customer for life.
Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Brainless incompetance followed by short-sighted indifference.
    Always learning.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I made this same post on CanonRumors, since I used to be a Canon user and still have an account there. It was deleted within hours. CanonRumors uses Adorama as their only link for buying new merchandise. A coincidence? I think not.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2020
    So one bad time out of all the others and suddenly they are are horrible? Shipped less than an hour after your order and that's horrible service? Since the PDF shows your old address it sounds like you are the one to blame for not double checking before finalizing the order. Did you use auto fill for address information from your browser? If so, you could have made a mistake if there is more than one entry. Sorry, but this sounds like it could be your own fault to me. If that is the case, why on earth should they give you anything, let alone a $50 gift card.

Keep in mind I've never bought anything from a US camera retailer and have no link to any of them.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    edited October 2020
    I placed the order over the phone (since I was on vacation and not near my computer). I repeated the address to the lodge to him and never mentioned my old work address. Why would I? I have not worked there in almost five years. They created the PDF which I checked on my phone as soon as they sent it (but as I said even that quickly they claimed it was too late to correct).
    Post edited by MrFotoFool on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2020
    PB_PM said:

Since the PDF shows your old address it sounds like you are the one to blame for not double checking before finalizing the order. Did you use auto fill for address information from your browser? If so, you could have made a mistake if there is more than one entry. Sorry, but this sounds like it could be your own fault to me.

It may not be that simple - for example:

We have a company in the UK called Screwfix. My brother (different first name, street, town, county, post code and country) placed an order using his completely separate account. Screwfix had no idea we were related. I lived in France at the time but used a friends address for delivery and he would bring stuff out to us in France when he visited. My brothers order went to my friends house and got bought out to us when he next visited. My brother mean time had complained of no delivery and his order was replaced and resent to him. The paperwork in my box had my brothers name but my friends address.

If you can figure that out, let me know because neither me, my brother or screwfix can!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I placed the order over the phone (since I was on vacation and not near my computer). I repeated the address to the lodge to him and never mentioned my old work address. Why would I? I have not worked there in almost five years. They created the PDF which I checked on my phone as soon as they sent it (but as I said even that quickly they claimed it was too late to correct).

Sorry, for some reason my brain glazed over the “called in” part from your original post, my mistake.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.