Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I think that they need to be careful. People that have access to a state of the art FX lens that can be used via the FTZ are a lower priority than people still waiting for an upgrade, like the 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 85 1.4, 135 2.0, 200 2.0, 300 2.8, 200 f/4.0 macro, etc.
  • I think you will be waiting interminably for F mount pro lens upgrades. Unlike Canon, Nikon's pattern of producing upgrades has been limited to super teles, just filling in the gaps rather than revising other pro lenses. The 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 135 f2 DC I doubt will be upgraded. The last offerings were the 28 F1.4 and 105 F1.4 which are in-betweeners.

My sense of Nikon's attitude is, "we have produced pro lenses which we feel adequately fill the pro's needs". We don't want to "slight" our pro lenses by offering new upgrades - rather we will produce new focal lengths using the most recent cutting edge technology.

A good example is the 58MM f1.4 which many love and the majority hate. This lens was a real let down wide open for most pros. I have used it and it doesn't match well with high MP cameras. Nikon could have upgraded it some to make it sharper wide open. Given that it is a niche product, they probably felt they could not realize any improved margins with a new product, after expensing R&D for new optical design etc.

In most cases, Canon has at least one upgrade of their pro lenses. The 24 1.4 II and 35mm 1.4 II are leaps better than the prior versions and while I really enjoy using Nikon's 24 1.4 and 85 1.4, they were dated with the introduction of the D800. They still produce great results, but wide open resolving power is not meeting modern expectations and aberrations are still an issue.

I hope you enjoy waiting for Christmas presents that never arrive.
    flip said:

I think you will be waiting interminably for F mount pro lens upgrades. Unlike Canon, Nikon's pattern of producing upgrades has been limited to super teles, just filling in the gaps rather than revising other pro lenses. The 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 135 f2 DC I doubt will be upgraded. The last offerings were the 28 F1.4 and 105 F1.4 which are in-betweeners.

My sense of Nikon's attitude is, "we have produced pro lenses which we feel adequately fill the pro's needs". We don't want to "slight" our pro lenses by offering new upgrades - rather we will produce new focal lengths using the most recent cutting edge technology.

A good example is the 58MM f1.4 which many love and the majority hate. This lens was a real let down wide open for most pros. I have used it and it doesn't match well with high MP cameras. Nikon could have upgraded it some to make it sharper wide open. Given that it is a niche product, they probably felt they could not realize any improved margins with a new product, after expensing R&D for new optical design etc.

In most cases, Canon has at least one upgrade of their pro lenses. The 24 1.4 II and 35mm 1.4 II are leaps better than the prior versions and while I really enjoy using Nikon's 24 1.4 and 85 1.4, they were dated with the introduction of the D800. They still produce great results, but wide open resolving power is not meeting modern expectations and aberrations are still an issue.

I hope you enjoy waiting for Christmas presents that never arrive.

Thanks Flip, to be clear, I don't think those lenses will be upgraded in F, but in Z.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I have to say I'm impressed by the filter holder built into the lens hood of the Z 14-24 S. That and the fact that gel filters can be slid in at the rear, means they've got all the bases covered. Finally you can shoot super wide and not need funky, bulky adapters.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    A full f/2.8 trinity and each of them best in class as well as the first f/1.2 lens. Nikon are looking really strong in the lens department once they get out the 100-400S to round it up. We just need some new bodies that are or can be gripped, especially considering how unbalanced the new f/2.8 zooms are and that f/1.2.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I preordered the 14-24. NikonUSA's site was not operating properly, so I went with BandH this time.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited September 2020
    the front filter capability is pretty desirable, but this seals the deal:

"(the 14-24 S lens is) ...equipped with a filter slot at the rear element that lets you slide in trimmable filter sheets and gels.

Also:

"Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)3.5 in. (88.5 mm) x 5.0 in. (124.5 mm)
    Approx. Weight23.0 oz. (650 g)"

Compared to the F-mount:
    "Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)3.8 in. (98 mm) x 5.2 in. (131.5 mm)
    Approx. Weight35.3 oz. (1,000 g)"

Smaller and lighter!
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited September 2020
    A little smaller. I have planned that my travel use case would be the 1.8 primes. If I want 14, this is the lens, but the size is not consistent with my travel use case. It will be interesting to see what else Nikon comes out with that is wider than 20mm.

It might fit in my “IQ cost no object use case” however if Nikon does not come out with a 14mm prime (just imagine a 14mm optically perfect 1.2 prime - drool - $$$$). But that use case is satisfactorily filled by my f-mount And I intend to get four plus years out of that while I fill in my other two Z-mount use cases.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    edited September 2020
    WEF: I hear you. I don't think my foot travel pack will include the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 24-70 f/2.8. For foot travel I will use the 14-30 f/4, and the 24-70 f/4 and my ultralight tripod. But for car travel I'll have a heavy duty tripod with the Bad Boy Trinity.
    650 g vs 1000 g is enough to make a big difference in foot travel carry, and makes the 14-24 f/2.8 something I may have in the bag.
    I'm not interested in the f/1.2 as it is huge and heavy, and is probably a good studio shooter.
    As for a 14 mm f/1.2, I remember when 14 mm f/2.8 was an optical miracle.
    I find I am still using my D850 and D500, but I think I'll move those over to the lab and use them for work. I don't print to 17 x 22 at work, but small size stuff and videos. The D500 with the 105 Micro-Nikkor is getting a LOT of use.
    Jack Roberts
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Any thoughts on the 70-200 @Symphotic ?
    edited September 2020
    mhedges said:

Any thoughts on the 70-200 @Symphotic ?

It handles nicely, but I have not gone out to shoot anything but my dog and grandchildren yet due to smokey skies and too much work. It is very well made, though.
    I thought I would take it on my annual Summer trek, but I haven’t done that this year. It looks like I won’t do my Winter trek either. But when the air clears I’ll take it on a hike in the hills around here.
    Jack Roberts
    Jack Roberts
    More details.
    Jack Roberts
    An interesting comment from Thom:

70-200mm f/2.8 S. Yeah, this lens is going to be out of stock for a long time. Best fast telephoto zoom ever. By anyone.
    1.4x and 2.0x TC. If you have the 70-200mm f/2.8 S, you're absolutely going to want one or both of these. This from someone who doesn't tend to like TCs.
    @WestEndFoto I gather we want to buy the 70-200 S before the S bodies come out, while users are still humming over whether or not to buy into Z.
    So! The Z mount 50 mm f/1.2 is out! At a fair price, too. But I need to wait for now.
    Jack Roberts
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    What is the sharpest lens you have used on a Z7? What will be the sharpest lens Nikon has made or will make for the Z series? Will Nikon make a 105 or 135 macro lens in the Z series?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    rmp said:

What is the sharpest lens you have used on a Z7? What will be the sharpest lens Nikon has made or will make for the Z series? Will Nikon make a 105 or 135 macro lens in the Z series?

105 S macro is on the roadmap.
    My 70-200 is expected on the 18th, so that is something I'll be looking forward too even if they're isn't much light in the day now. 1632 sunset.

My 70-200 is expected on the 18th, so that is something I'll be looking forward too even if they're isn't much light in the day now. 1632 sunset.

It’s a nice lens indeed.

In Winter the sun certainly sets so soon and so suddenly.

Jack Roberts
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    What do you guys make of the angry photographer's assessment of the 24-50 kit lens as Horrible ...he got a second to try as he could not believe how bad the first was.
    Its a 24-50mm kit lens to throw in the box, I don't think any more or less of it than the hundreds of 18-55mm lenses that end up in kits. It'll produce a picture better than a smartphone and at similar focal lengths as a smartphone so it is easy for new people to understand.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

What do you guys make of the angry photographer's assessment of the 24-50 kit lens as Horrible ...he got a second to try as he could not believe how bad the first was.

I don't think anything of any of his assessments and I don't understand why anyone would.
    It looks like my 14-24 f/2.8 Z is in the capable hands of Fedex...I haven’t been looking forward to a lens this much for a while.
    Jack Roberts
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I think Ken Wheeler (A.K.A Theoria Apophasis, AKA the Angry Photographer) is a moron. That's the most I can make of it.