Z6&70-200 f2.8 or Z50&50-250

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
I have a z7 and the 24-70 f4 and I love the combination. But, what about reach? I have been waiting for the 70-200 f2.8 with the though of paring it with a z6. Now comes the Z50 and the 50-250. Which way do I go? Suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
Tagged:

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I think it depends on what you want to do. Z6 + 70-200 will be a little more than 3 stops better in low light situations than the Z50 and 50-250.

For reach you could always just use your Z7 in crop mode. It will be pretty similar to the Z50 + 50-250. There isn’t all that much difference between 200 and 250, really.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Buy the 70-200 2.8S and use it on your Z7. Your reach is more likely determined by the sharpness of your lens and you want the sharpest possible sensor for that. The 70-200 2.8S will be light years ahead of a budget crop sensor lens for resolution.

I just saved you having to buy a new camera RMP.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    The 70-200 2.8 will be a 140-300 in DX crop mode and still f/2.8.
    retread said:

The 70-200 2.8 will be a 140-300 in DX crop mode and still f/2.8.

Not to stir up a can of worms but really its more functionally equivalent to an F4. At least when compared with FF performance.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Hard to say, when DX Z mount cameras are still but a rumor right now.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks all. I will stay with the 70-200 f 2.8. And maybe the z6 because I do not like to change lenses in the field.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    A 200mm lens will always be a 200mm and the ( bird) image it puts on the sensor will be the same size however big or small the sensor is . Its just how many pixels can the sensor put on that image that counts.Forget all this 1.5x rubbish and if you got FX it makes it easier to find your target. (wider field of view)
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    If you have a Z7 then it'll give you the same 'reach' as the Z50 (assuming the same lens). Maybe it's better to put the 70-200 on the Z7?

In any case, the 70-200 should provide much better image quality than the 50-250, although it's bigger, heavier, and much more expensive.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited September 2019
    @Pistnbroke In DX mode there is no need to crop in post and I always make my composition in camera with backbutton focus and eyefocus now. Sometimes DX mode gives the fastest workflow for me (I always crop).

For BIF, it is true that FX mode is easier of course, but a 3000 x 2000 px photo is enough for me, because A3+ is the maximum size for 97% of my photo's, when I want a print. A small extra DX mode use the best part of the lens and I have this mode on my camera, so why not use it.

Don't forget to set it back, the same as ISO, but I always use my checklist when I put my camera away at the end of the day, just a habbit.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If you are in FX and your bird is in the centre you are using the "best part of the lens"?? Even if I use DX my birds are so far away I still need to crop...Its horses for courses and whatever floats your boat .
    But on the subject of the post all the Z50 pics I have seen it does not have a viewfinder though some text says it does (optional ?) .So its far too soon to say anything about the Z50
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    "too soon to say anything about the Z50" or the new Z mount DX lense. It likely will be an entirely different body just as the D7500 is an entirely different body than the D750. The main advantage of the Z50 may be much more than just the ability to use the new DX lenses. For example, the advantage using a Z50 may be size, weight and small kit lens. As far as we know there won't be a new mount for DX mirrorless lenses so any DX lens with a Z mount can be used on a D6 or D7 for birds when you are going to crop anyway. We just don't know enough yet to be able to discuss the relative advantages or disadvantages. Hopefully, the Z50 will have many advantages.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited January 2020
    The Z50 with the two kit lens is quite amazing. Since I shoot fairly stopped down as I want max deoth of field I like BOTH of the kit lens. I’d vastly prefer a real back lens cap on both new Z50 kit lens. So you’d need to buy two new real back lens caps too, and the lens hoods which are an OPTION and are screw in mounts, you have to find out what filters (I use UV 46mm on the new 16-50 which is remarkable) and a Hoya Thin Polarizer on the 50-250. The camera and two kit lens is easily one of the most compact travel rigs I have ever seen and the quality although not quite a Z6, is truly remarkable! If you want mini, and yet a camera you can get a grip on......the Z50 and the two tiny, but mighty kit lens is a remarkable image maker!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    DaveyJ said:

The Z50 with the two kit lens is quite amazing. Since I shoot fairly stopped down as I want max deoth of field I like BOTH of the kit lens. I’d vastly prefer a real back lens cap on both new Z50 kit lens. So you’d need to buy two new real back lens caps too, and the lens hoods which are an OPTION and are screw in mounts, you have to find out what filters (I use UV 46mm on the new 16-50 which is remarkable) and a Hoya Thin Polarizer on the 50-250. The camera and two kit lens is easily one of the most compact travel rigs I have ever seen and the quality although not quite a Z6, is truly remarkable! If you want mini, and yet a camera you can get a grip on......the Z50 and the two tiny, but mighty kit lens is a remarkable image maker!

I am looking forward to Nikon putting a full frame sensor in this body (Z5). I will then buy the compact primes on the roadmap (28 and 40).

If they price it right, it will sell like hotcakes.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member

I am looking forward to Nikon putting a full frame sensor in this body (Z5). I will then buy the compact primes on the roadmap (28 and 40).

If they price it right, it will sell like hotcakes.

That doesn't sound like a Nikon move!
  • LvanderhLvanderh Posts: 1Member
    Indeed, I would love to see a FF Z50 = Z5. Is this planned by Nikon?
    edited November 2020
    Personally I do NOT see the Fascination with FF! Nikon seems hell bent on jumping off the cliff! A crop sensor camera has MANY desirable attributes. MORE REACH is certainly one. And the 16-50 kit lens is amazing! There are MANY who still rely on DX. Nikon has made a serious blunder here.

Thom Hogan writes the Z50 and the two kit lens may not have enough traction to sell that many units. And that after this Holiday season many DX DSLRs may not continue. The TWO best Nikons I have ever used for my work are the D7500 and the D500!

I'd way rather have ANOTHER Z50 and two more of the SAME kit lens. A Z50 body stuffed with a FF sensor will sell well! But NOT to ME! I'd still consider a Z6 II and FTZ with the 24-70 f4 and eventually find a way to fill the gap between the 24-70 and my GREAT 200-500! Maybe just the NEW 70-300 FX.

If I wanted a Z5 as a Z50 with a full frame, I'd buy a Z5!! The Z50 is really a cramped space camera. Small battery and a single SD card in the battery compartment???

Add another blow to Nikon, and to Nikon users....if the Z5 does not sell well....it will hurt us all! For those who have little use for video, the Z5 may be a good option! And to say the least, it is people like Nikon Rumors people that can recommend good Nikons to entry level buyers.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited November 2020
    Well that's my dilemma. I have a D7000 and I'd like a small zoom and am looking at getting a 70-300 AF-P FX.

I'm also interested in a new Nikon body, so I could stay with DX and get a D7500 (or its replacement) or a Z50 which means I'd need a FTZ adapter. I don't think that's ideal as I also have a 105mm macro.

From the brief time I looked at the lens roadmap, there doesn't seem like too much development of DX Z mount lenses. I get a bad feeling DX Z mount will be the red headed stepchild again and if you want lenses you'll have to borrow from the FX side.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I wouldn't worry about the 105 2.8 on FTZ. I use the FX 70-300 AF-P on FTZ a fair amount, which is about the same weight but a little longer, and it's fine. And I use the 70-200 VRII lens on FTZ a lot (possibly even more) and it's fine too, but I am a bit more careful with that combo, making sure I support the lens as well as the body.
    edited November 2020
    I own the D7000, the D7100, the D7200, and the D7500, and the D500. The difference between the D7000s is huge. You must be shooting stills only. Only when the D7200 came along was the D7000 series that good! There are those who think the D7200 is superior to the D7500. That is 99.9% based on not owning both. The D7500 is far faster and more precise. When I use my D7200 I have to struggle to get any settings right. It may have two card slots. That only serves to confuse what images are on what cards. And that camera speed is determined by the SLOWER of the two cards.

The D7500 is significantly faster, uses the same sensor as the D500. Any one who thinks the 24MP D7200 is sharper is not using the same large screen review as I am. MP numbers are to me required to be backed up by real world differences not some abstract numbers on a spec sheet.

If I had to pick a D7500 or a Z50 with the two kit lens I would be inclined to say, I'll take BOTH! I think to take just ONE of those two choices is too tough! The new Nikon 70-300 AF-P FX is very good. I have used it but as I own about 6 70-300 lens, all FX except the 70-300 AF-P DX VR which is very good. BUT the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 has outperformed every 70-300 I have ever used. IF I go to a Nikon FX camera, probably now the Z6 II, FTZ, and 24-70 f4 S lens, I will have to add the new 70-300 AF-P FX until I find a lens which proves to me is better and when I can afford that.

Nikon has almost missed the boat entirely on DX DSLR but the D500 is still so highly rated there still are You Tube reviews saying in 2020 why they JUST bought the D500.
    Yet of all of these existing rigs, to me the D7500 is the real SECRET great camera. WHY? To SOME of us, price is still a consideration. But by the end of these Holidays we who procrastinate must make our move or lose that camera that I could use for the rest of my life! Then it comes down to being at the RIGHT Time in the RIGHT place!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited November 2020
    DaveyJ said:

I own the D7000, the D7100, the D7200, and the D7500, and the D500. The difference between the D7000s is huge. You must be shooting stills only. Only when the D7200 came along was the D7000 series that good! There are those who think the D7200 is superior to the D7500. That is 99.9% based on not owning both. The D7500 is far faster and more precise. When I use my D7200 I have to struggle to get any settings right. It may have two card slots. That only serves to confuse what images are on what cards. And that camera speed is determined by the SLOWER of the two cards.

The D7500 is significantly faster, uses the same sensor as the D500. Any one who thinks the 24MP D7200 is sharper is not using the same large screen review as I am. MP numbers are to me required to be backed up by real world differences not some abstract numbers on a spec sheet.

If I had to pick a D7500 or a Z50 with the two kit lens I would be inclined to say, I'll take BOTH! I think to take just ONE of those two choices is too tough! The new Nikon 70-300 AF-P FX is very good. I have used it but as I own about 6 70-300 lens, all FX except the 70-300 AF-P DX VR which is very good. BUT the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 has outperformed every 70-300 I have ever used. IF I go to a Nikon FX camera, probably now the Z6 II, FTZ, and 24-70 f4 S lens, I will have to add the new 70-300 AF-P FX until I find a lens which proves to me is better and when I can afford that.

Nikon has almost missed the boat entirely on DX DSLR but the D500 is still so highly rated there still are You Tube reviews saying in 2020 why they JUST bought the D500.
    Yet of all of these existing rigs, to me the D7500 is the real SECRET great camera. WHY? To SOME of us, price is still a consideration. But by the end of these Holidays we who procrastinate must make our move or lose that camera that I could use for the rest of my life! Then it comes down to being at the RIGHT Time in the RIGHT place!

I most certainly could afford both, but I think logistically speaking and based on the lenses I already have, it makes more sense to get the D7500. I already have another EN-EL15b battery, so I think once I get another one I'll be ok. I'm just waiting on better deals from the holidays.

Dual card slots and the vertical grip is nice to have, but I'd never use both features and my D40 did fine with 1 card slot. I don't think I'd miss it on the D7500.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on