My SB-700 flash not working with D500

webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
edited February 2021 in Nikon Flashes
So I am having some trouble with my D500 and SB-700 flash. It flashes in TTL mode but very low. But when I put it in manual, the flash doesn't fire. I tried the flash on rented D850, and it fired in manual mode no problem. The pair has worked before, but now not sure why it is not firing. I have done a firmware upgrade and a factory reset with no joy. Also I have 4 SB700s, all show the same behavior.

Now if I use my SU-800 Commander, it works like 90% of the time at triggering the other flashes.

Has anyone else ran into this?
Post edited by webmastadj on
Tagged:

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well nobody answered so .... You need to check the flash settings in the menu..I am sure you have but check again.. and being stupid do you have the flash power setting in the camera turned down...the button to the right of the release ? The two button re set does not re set everything so dont rely on it . What you have is called finger troble
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    In the bracketing/flash settings, everything is default:

Flash sync speed = 1/250
    Flash shutter speed = 1/60
    Exposure comp for flash = Entire frame
    Auto ISO sensitivity control = subject and background
    modeling flash = on
    auto bracketing (mode m) = flash/speed
    Bracketing order = MTR > under -> over

Where is the flash power setting? The power I usually set on the SB-700.

It is almost like the flash can communicate with the camera no problem. The camera sees the flash is connected as the flash lighting bolt shows in the view finder and LCD screen on the top. When TTL is activated on the flash, it does the pre-flash but doesn't fire the main flash. So when it comes time to fire the main flash, it just doesn't do it.
    Standing behind the camera on the LHS of the mount is a small button with a flash symbol on it ....Press info and then hold the flash symbol....the dials enable you to go to -3stops with the flash ..is that the problem?
    As a general comment change your flash sync 1/250 to FP 1/250 ( flash programme)
    This can get you out of all sorts of sh1t if you leave the flash on by mistake outside in the sun. It stops it locking the camera at 1/60 and over exposing everything.
    Flash comp is 0...sync changed to auto. Still nothing. Could the circuit that fires the flash be bad? That will suck. Then I have three choices: get it fixed and be without a camera for awhile, buy and new d500, or buy into the z-mount.
    edited February 2021
    I dont know what country you are in but if in UK get one from MPB or camera jungle and send it back after 2 weeks. You can test and get a two week overlap to your repair.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    I thought about renting it to cover the time I didn’t have it. The repair estimate on Nikon’s site and rental fee is close to $600...so was thinking about just buying a new one. Or I could rent a Z7ii and give it a go. ;)
    dont throw money away just buy second hand and return. That $ sign tells me you are in the US .
    So I took a look EXIF data on some images when testing the flash.

With the flash on and in manual mode, the EXIF for the photo states this:
    Flash: On, no return light detected

With the flash on and TTL mode, I get this:
    Flash: On, return light detected

Should it say fired or does on mean it was supposed to fire?
    Return light is what is sent out to get an exposure reading . Should say fired. Looks like the flash is doing its job but the large centre contact is not getting a signal from the camera. Have you tried a bit of wire from the centre contact on the flash to the metal of the shoe ? that should fire it. If that works it isolates it to the camera .
    Which piece of metal? I do have 4 flashes and all 4 have the same behavior.
    I do have 4 flashes and all 4 have the same behaviour.

I think that puts it down to the camera .....
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2021
    Did you try cleaning the contacts on the hotshoe, a little bit of rubbing alcohol could be all you need.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2021
    @PB_PM I tried using a moist paper towel. No good. I will try again with rubbing alcohol.

@Pistnbrok Yeah, I figured that. I just hate to send the body off to get repaired, as don't know how long that would take and right now, I have a bunch of opportunities coming up to use the camera.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
    Yeah water isn't good, it leaves residue that could be just as bad as what is already there, if that is the problem.
    @PB_PM well, tried rubbing alcohol...still no go. I did set the flash on “red eye” mode and it did the pre-flashes...just no main flash.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I was going to say, maybe you can try with a second D500 if you can borrow one and see if the behavior is the same?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

@PB_PM well, tried rubbing alcohol...still no go. I did set the flash on “red eye” mode and it did the pre-flashes...just no main flash.

Too bad, was worth a try anyway. Guess it's an electrical issue as Pistnbroke suggested.
    edited March 2021
    As you have 4 flashes you could send one to someone in your country (which is?) to test it on there Nikon. Contact a local camera club etc
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on