Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2021
    mhedges said:

Looks like I did get one of the first batch of 105 2.8's. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Anyone else get one?

Yes, I got it yesterday, you will love it.

Only the 28mm and 40mm f/2.0 pancakes as walk-around lenses and finally I have all the lenses I want.
    PS. Never did macro, a new challenge is always fun.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2021
    Now a more positive outlook on the 24-200. Took it out this morning to shoot video (as I do weekly at a given location), and I'm very satisfied with it. I find myself mostly using the Z6 for video, BTW. Best part is how much lighter and smaller the kit is than adapted glass. Focus is smoother, and silent, which for video shooting is a huge improvement over adapted F-mount glass. The adapted F-mount glass can be a little jittery for video. Normally I would use my 16-35mm F4G VR for this location, but I wanted to see how the 24-200 would handle it. The 16-35mm VR looks steadier (I don't have a video gimble), but that could be due to the wider angle, since I usually keep it at 16mm. Of course having the longer zoom was advantageous for close ups.

The only downside is how much it takes to rack the lens from 24-200mm, you cannot do it in a single turn, which isn't ideal for video. Still reasonably smooth on each turn though.

In the video files I don't see the distortion at 24mm, seems odd, could Nikon be using different distortion correction on video files? I'm only shooting 1080p, I wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe it looked worse in some of my test stills due to what I was photographing and the focus distance? I'm guessing the distortion is more amplified at closer distance.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited June 2021
    Quick first look at the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S.

Good balance on my Nikkon Z6, larger than the FX version, but surprisingly light. Macro is a small part of the use for me, but that is definitely going to be more. The lens has everything I wanted, especially the Nikon Z image quality.

I did a quick test yesterday and put some photo's in an album on:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ton1414

Also forced higher ISO in this quick test to see what happens.

EDIT: Put some more photo's in the album.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    One thing I really appreciate about the 24-200 is it's close up abilities. It isn't a macro lens sure but still it does pretty well, and the 200mm working distance is very nice for some subjects.

Z6D_9648
    edited June 2021
    Incredible handheld shooting at 1/6 second is possible for me with the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S.
    I needed f/5.6 - ISO 100, got 1/6s and it worked. Fun for a game, who can get the slowest handheld shutter speed.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited June 2021
    I can’t wait to see what the new 28mm is like. It would be on my short list.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I'm waiting for the "non SE" version to come up for order.
    edited June 2021
    Agreed. Unless you are kitting the SE with the Zfc, it would look strange.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm thinking of getting the 85mm 1.8S
    Post edited by Searcy on
    I've been tempted on it too especially since it's on sale. But I just got the 105 and need to hold off on any new lens purchases for a while.
    edited July 2021
    @searcy The 85mm f/1.8s is a great lens, but the 105mm f/2.8, which I have been using for a few days now, is an exceptional lens. You can use this medium tele- and macro lens for everything.

Now that I am a bit used to this 105mm I think my 85mm will be used a lot less.The focus limiter switch for faster focus (macro) works great and the dual motor Multi-Focus STM system makes focusing so fast and accurate. The VR together with IBIS gives unprecedented handheld possibilities.

If you have an opportunity to test the 105mm, I would do so before buying the 85mm.

But the IQ and handling of the 85mm is the same as the 50mm f/1.8S, just super.

Lets wait for some reviews of the 105 from @mhedges :)
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    I haven't had a chance to use it much yet. I can echo @Ton14 about the weight and balance on Z6 - The lens is quite light for it's size and the combo feels very nice.

I should be able to test it more over the weekend. Here's a shot I got fooling around with it in the backyard at lunch yesterday.

Z6C_9848
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Ok, you have defanatly hit my pause button. That 105 looks amazing and I am missing a good macro from my setup. At times I'm asked to photograph detail like ear rings or jewelry. This might be the perfect lens for that as well as a good portrait lens.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Searcy said:

Ok, you have defanatly hit my pause button. That 105 looks amazing and I am missing a good macro from my setup. At times I'm asked to photograph detail like ear rings or jewelry. This might be the perfect lens for that as well as a good portrait lens.

If you don't mind that the maximum aperture is 2.8, I think that this lens is a great compromise for what you are suggesting.
    edited July 2021
    Put more real life photo's on flickr for the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ton1414/ Put them in an album.
    Colour rendering and bokeh is great and macro photography is difficult.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Nice shots Ton!

I did mostly macro shooting with it over the weekend. Like you say the color and bokeh is very nice. AF seemed to work fairly well on Z6 although I did have a few problems, mostly when I had the limit switch engaged. I didn't think I was more than 0.5 meters away from the subject but apparently I was.

I'll put some samples up tonight.
    edited July 2021
    It suddenly occurred to me that the distance of the limit switch (0.29 - 0.50 cm) is calculated from the sensor of course, which is the sign above the rear dial on the camera.
    The distance from that point to the edge of the lens hood is already over 20cm, so I had exactly the same problems as you Mark, you have to get so close.

Focusing and shooting handheld is quite difficult with the limit switch on, but I am practicing. :)

For macro stills I made a setup with 2 flash lights and the camera on tripod, then it is easy.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Yes that's probably it. 50 cm is closer than you think when you also add the lens + hood + flange distance in. It would have been neat if the limit distance was programable and not hard coded.

Here is my 105 MC album. Mostly macro type stuff.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW9oaeG
    Wow, beautiful, the colours are splashing off my screen. I had the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED, which is a fantastic lens, but this one is in a different league.
    Thanks! Yeah the colors really impressed me. Also something about how it renders the fine detail of the little spikes/bumps on the plants surfaces.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Gorgeous Mark. Just beautiful.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    mhedges said:

Yes that's probably it. 50 cm is closer than you think when you also add the lens + hood + flange distance in. It would have been neat if the limit distance was programable and not hard coded.

Here is my 105 MC album. Mostly macro type stuff.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW9oaeG

I could have sworn that the distance rated on the F mount 105mm macro was 1 foot or so from the front element, not from the sensor. When did they start quoting from the sensor?

Cool shots, I might want to get a 105mm when I upgrade to the Z mount haha. Skip F mount completely.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited July 2021
    The macro distance has always been from the focal plane (shutter).
    Post edited by PB_PM on