NANPA Membership

Is anyone here a member of NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association)? I have known of them for many years but never bothered to join because I don't see the benefit (and a hundred bucks a year seems a bit pricey). I was recently reintroduced to them when I met a member who informed me their 2023 annual summit will be in my city of Tucson. Any real life experiences (specifically what you get for your hundred bucks) would be appreciated.

Comments

• MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I just found this thread on Backcountry Gallery asking the same question. While a couple people tout the benefits, the consensus seems to be it is not a good value for the money. Two posters say the benefit is having a "collective voice" yet neither one cites a specific example of an issue where that made a difference.
    https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/are-you-a-nanpa-member.12417/
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hmmm, everybody is after your money these days...
    Always learning.

Very true. Considering the lack of response to this thread, I assume no one here is a member (at least no one who is active here). I also posted this on SonyAlphaRumors (since I now use a Sony 200-600 for wildlife) and one person replied they enjoy the membership. However the main benefit for her was getting her work published in their member magazine, which I am sure is nice but still not enough to make me want to join.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member

Very true. Considering the lack of response to this thread, I assume no one here is a member (at least no one who is active here). I also posted this on SonyAlphaRumors (since I now use a Sony 200-600 for wildlife) and one person replied they enjoy the membership. However the main benefit for her was getting her work published in their member magazine, which I am sure is nice but still not enough to make me want to join.

This leads me to a question that's puzzled me for a while. Where is everybody? Have they abandoned Nikon? Abandoned the board? All gotten their Z9s, gone on treks to the headwaters of the Nile, and been devoured by crocodiles?
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Holliday ? :)
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    Article comments are alive and well. The forums are rather inactive, I suspect due to the barriers of entry which in turn are likely due to insufficient moderators.
    @Capt_Spaulding While I can't tell you why others are inactive, I can tell you why I am. Though I still use (and love) my two Nikon D850's for scenics and architecture, I sold my 500PF lens and D500 and replaced it with a Sony 200-600 lens and A74 for wildlife. That means I have no interest in investing in Nikon Z mirrorless, so no interest in following new announcements from Nikon. The other reason I am active on SonyAlphaRumors but not on NikonRumors is the good functionality of photo uploads on the Sony site and the virtually unuseable photo uploads on this site. With SonyAlphaRumors (and CanonRumors and pretty much every other photo site) you can do direct uploads in a variety of categories (most without limit). On this site you can only post one photo a day, with no categories, but only from Flickr (and I do not have or want a Flickr account).

Article comments are alive and well. The forums are rather inactive, I suspect due to the barriers of entry which in turn are likely due to insufficient moderators.

There is only one mod - me. Others exist, but don't do anything anymore.

I don't actually know why I do this now. The spammers have made this platform unuseable and Peter doesn't seem to want to change anything so the only way in for new members is via you guys. I don't like it either.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Sorry @spraynpray ! We do appreciate your work!
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Sorry to hear this, Amigo. It’s small consolation, but thanks.
    Thanks chaps. I remember five - 10 years back, there used to be at least one meet up per year of mods for a meal and a fun time, but that was in the USA and I'm in England so unless Peter wants to fly over here, that's not going to happen! :) :) :)
    Always learning.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    We could have a UK meet up :)
    It was a moderators meet up and Peter caught the bill for the evening meal. Sounded like fun but exlusive to those in the USA unfortunately.
    Always learning.
    edited September 2022

...The other reason I am active on SonyAlphaRumors but not on NikonRumors is the good functionality of photo uploads on the Sony site...

Correction: I am on AlphaShooters.com, not SonyAlphaRumors. Sorry for misinformation. Going back to original topic, I did break down and buy a NANPA membership, mainly because their annual summit for 2023 will be in my city (Tucson). We will see if I feel it is worth it when it comes time to renew.
    Post edited by MrFotoFool on
    Reviving this thread due to a new controversy with NANPA. I did end up joining, primarily for a discount for the 2023 annual summit in my city, but otherwise I see no benefit and have now decided I do not want to attend the summit. I had already decided I would not renew my membership, but with the controversy that erupted over the last two days I would not renew even if I had intended on renewing.

The NANPA board entered into secret negotiations with ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) to form a merger, which they announced formally on their website a day or two ago. It appears to be more of a takeover than a merger, as ASMP will still be the name of the new organization and it will still be run out of ASMP headquarters in San Francisco. The night before I saw the website announcement I got an email from Art Morris (BirdsAsArt) and three other founding members lambasting the (as of then) secret negotiations. According to NANPA the purpose is to strengthen both organizations but according to the founding members' email it is to add a paying membership base to ASMP because they are in financial trouble. The email from the founding members also contains allegations of incompetence on the part of NANPA president. Either way, I am out and I regret joining.