Nikon Z7ll image review

PixcelsPixcels Posts: 2Member
Hope I haven't asked this question before but here goes.
Common practice amongst digital photographers is, after taking a picture, to glance down and check that image on the rear screen, where it tends to be displayed automatically.
That's how my D850/ D800/ D700 have all been setup.
Can't seem to get that functionality on the Z7ll.
No matter what I try to do there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to automatically display an image review in the back screen for a few seconds after shooting.
I can however get an image review in the viewfinder but this is something I DON'T want. As I'm sure you're all aware this would seriously interrupt and obstruct your viewing of the subject whilst shooting.
I have contacted Nikon Support UK about this and after much to-ing and fro-ing decided that it couldn't work that way.
Is this normal ?
Believe me when I say I have tried just about every combination that I (and Nikon support staff) can think of and cannot get this simple functionality.

Anyone know different ?

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited July 2022
    I use the button on the left site of the EV to cycle through EV, monitor and both
    In the SETUP MENU - Limit monitor mode selection.

You have to press the "play" button to see the image on the monitor. I never noticed that it is not automatic anymore either.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I knew there was a reason I hadn't sprung for a Z9... ;)
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Image review was the one thing that bothered me when I switched to the Z6. I think there were some good reasons for the differences because of the evf etc. but I don’t think I was ever able to get it to be quite the same.

Since the evf is a real time preview I don’t find myself needing to chimp as much. And when I do it a almost always in the evf since it’s much easier for me to see - the rear screen is too small for me to be able to check if the focus is dead on.
  • PixcelsPixcels Posts: 2Member
    I'm surprised so few people are finding this lack of monitor preview a major annoyance.
    Not really a problem when I'm shooting products in the studio and mounted on a tripod as I can then use the monitor to frame, shoot AND view an image review.
    It's when I am shooting people that I want to be sure I have captured an expression or framed the shot well and not got my subject mid-blink, that's when the instant image review in the monitor is so helpful.
    Having got to rely on this functionality on Nikon DSLRs I am finding the lack of it on the Z7 (and probably all the other Z cameras) a real miss.
    Can't be that difficult to re-instate it with a firmware update surely !
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Set one of your function buttons to playback.
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    According to the book (Z7ll manual) this is totally possible.

(PS it's on the PLAYBACK Menu)

Menu Button -> Playback Menu

Image Review

On - pictures appear in the currently selected display

On (Monitor Only) - pictures appear on the monitor

Off - Pictures can only be viewed by pressing the playback button (The one with the righthand arrow)

HTH

All the best
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Yeahhh, I never looked in the "playback" tab, thanks Ian.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    Duh.... B)
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)