Z7-Z6 Lenses

1242526272830»

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    With the 400 f/2.8 TC, I wonder if we use our 1.4x TC with the built in one or use the 2x to get to 800. The built in ones are often better IQ but it is still not settled in my mind if the built in plus an extra 1.4x is better than just a 2x.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

With the 400 f/2.8 TC, I wonder if we use our 1.4x TC with the built in one or use the 2x to get to 800. The built in ones are often better IQ but it is still not settled in my mind if the built in plus an extra 1.4x is better than just a 2x.

Will this lens be compatible with TCs when the internal TC is engaged. I would not assume that. Does anybody know about the 180-400?
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    edited November 2021

Will this lens be compatible with TCs when the internal TC is engaged. I would not assume that. Does anybody know about the 180-400?
    there is some information on using an external TC with the internal TC engaged in this
    article

https://www.richardpeters.co.uk/nikon-180-400-tc14-review-telephoto-zoom-king/#lensperformance

and this also...

https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/two-tcs-the-nikon-180-400-f4-at-400-560-and-800mm.9798/

Post edited by CEBlueclouds on

The previous lenses from Nikon and Canon with built in TC's have supported them so I have little doubt this new one will also support them. What remains the question in my mind is which TC or combination of TCs gets you the best IQ at 800(when 800 is needed).
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Anybody getting the 28 2.8? It's on my list but I think I will hold off till I get the 100-400 paid for.
    I have the 28 SE on order for my Z fc. But already have the 24 f/1.8 S for my bigger bodies and it is small and light enough to not get a normal 28 f/2.8 as well.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I am picking up the Zfc 28mm kit on Saturday along with the 40. That was a four month wait.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @photobunny: I am pretty sure that the best way to build a TC 2 is not to stack two TC 1.4, and therefore I guess that a TC 2 is best when you want to double the focal length.
    Canon just announced an 800 5.6 and a 1200 F8. $17k and $20k respectively. Be curious to see where the Z 800 6.3 comes in - hopefully it's well under the Canon lens.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Don’t count on it being much different, higher prices are just the norm for new lenses.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Its going to be expensive for sure. I've seen some folks predict (or maybe just wish) for $8000 or so. To me there's no way its not 5 figures. But I do think there's a chance it comes in around $12K or so. Still a ton of money yes but quite a bit cheaper than the Canon.
    I think a lot of the cost is simply due to the current surge of inflation on raw materials. Not something camera makers have much control over.
    Camera manufacturers are also repositioning themselves for lower sales but higher profits from only enthusiast and professional market. It isn’t surprising to see the mirrorless move bump the prices of many lenses.
    Honestly I'm not really seeing a big jump in the price of mirrorless lenses vs. their DSLR equivalents per se. Yes some are a little more expensive, especially when the DSLR version was very old, but nothing that can't be explained by inflation. The real difference is the lack of lower end options. No 70-300. No 28-85 type variable aperture zoom. No cheap 1.8 primes (at least for Nikon); that kind of thing.
    edited February 2022
    mhedges said:

Honestly I'm not really seeing a big jump in the price of mirrorless lenses vs. their DSLR equivalents per se.

The S 400mm F2.8 is thousands more than the F-mount E lens, 14-24mm f2.8 S, $1000 more than F-mount, 70-200 S is also about $500 more than the f-mount E lens, looks like an increase to me. You didn’t seem to be looking hard enough.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited February 2022
    PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

Honestly I'm not really seeing a big jump in the price of mirrorless lenses vs. their DSLR equivalents per se.

The S 400mm F2.8 is thousands more than the F-mount E lens, 14-24mm f2.8 S, $1000 more than F-mount, 70-200 S is also about $500 more than the f-mount E lens, looks like an increase to me. You didn’t seem to be looking hard enough.
    The 400 adds the 1.4 tc making it basically a 400 2.8 and a 600 F4. The F mount 14-24 is around 12 years old, and it cost $1800 when it came out. The E (FL) 70-200 2.8 cost $200 more than the Z lens when it came out. It’s only cheaper now because of its age and Nikons obvious desire to dump F mount product.

I think I’m looking around ok. If you want to make these kinds of comparisons you need to look at the inflation adjusted MSRPs at product launch. You can’t compare prices of current gear to the discounted / reduced MSRP prices of old gear designed for a system that’s likely to be discontinued soon.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    mhedges said:

PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

The 400 adds the 1.4 tc making it basically a 400 2.8 and a 600 F4. The F mount 14-24 is around 12 years old, and it cost $1800 when it came out. The E (FL) 70-200 2.8 cost $200 more than the Z lens when it came out. It’s only cheaper now because of its age and Nikons obvious desire to dump F mount product.

I think I’m looking around ok. If you want to make these kinds of comparisons you need to look at the inflation adjusted MSRPs at product launch. You can’t compare prices of current gear to the discounted / reduced MSRP prices of old gear designed for a system that’s likely to be discontinued soon.
    Keep in mind, I’m nlooking at US MSRP.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited April 2022
    Long ago I paid $2000 for a used NIKOR 24-70 2.8 VR F mount. Some years later I switch to mirrorless and bought a demo NIKOR 25-70 2.8 S mount for around $2000 so in my world the new lenses have been cheaper.
    Post edited by Searcy on
    Looks like we have our first major manufacturer 3rd party Z mount AF lens in the Tamron 70-300. Fills a major hole in the lineup and seems to indicate that Nikon is allowing third parties into the system at least in some way.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    When I bought the 24-120 F4 I did not expect it to be good for shooting runway. I was wrong. This week I shot a little with the 24-70 F2.8 then switch to the 24-120 F4. I'm blown away with what I was able to grab with the 24-120.

Shelby in Pink