Wireless remote control - need one with a decent range

dormantdormant Posts: 4Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have a Phottix wireless remote control which has worked well for me. But it has quite a restricted range - maybe 6 meters (20 feet).

Any suggestions for a remote with a longer range that could work with a D800E? I could use the Nikon wireless thingy and my laptop, but I'd prefer something smaller that I can carry in my camera bag.

Here is my failure:

Comments

• mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    edited March 2013
    haha trying to get the squirrels ? are they squirrels ? i cant see ....

i was reading up on this subject recently. i bought the yongnuo mc36, i dont know what the range is like unfortunately i havent tested it, but otherwise it seems good. the plastic is cheap, i broke the battery cover straight away, but it doenst affect the functionality, which seems to be ok for long exposures and timers and things. i bought it because it was a nice price.

if we suppose that what i read was correct, AND i am remembering what i read correctly. the most reliable method, with the best range, is to buy 2 pocketwizards, and a cable from a third part that allows the pocket wizard to work as a remote trigger. this is of course an expensive option

**edit ** sorry, i think PW themselves also sell a cable for remote trigger
    Post edited by mikep on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Not sure what your budget but check out the CamRanger discussion on this forum
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    i use a hahnel combi which works well as both a wireless remote but also a flash trigger both at up to 100m away (i have tested but never needed to be that far away :)) )
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    I wish you hadn't asked that! I found one (at least an ad for one) about 3 months ago, spent a few hours reading a dozen or so reviews, and decided it was what I would try; so I carefully wrote it all down in one of my numerous "note books", and now I'm ready to order it; except I can't find the ****** note book, and I'm not sure what the name of it was; ( just that I liked it better than the other dozen or so I had looked at ); now I'm waiting til I run across the ad again.........
  • shutterdancershutterdancer Posts: 21Member
    I picked this one up a couple of months ago....excellent range and so far it's working great!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753842-REG/Vello_RWII_N_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @shutterdancer

Yup, that is the one I use
    Msmoto, mod
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Hey dormant, 6 meters seems really short. I wonder why that is?

Most of the (non-PocketWizard) triggers operate at the 2.4 GHz band these days. Some potential problems:

1. Frequency congestion. If there are a lot of other 2.4 GHz devices nearby (wi-fi hotspots, car alarms, cordless phones, bluetooth devices, etc.) then maybe the airwaves are just too congested for the trigger to operate.

2. Interference. Another possibility is interference from nearby sources like any power-lines, microwave ,etc.

3. Low power. If the transmitter or receiver battery is weak then the operating range might get reduced.

4. Defect. E.g., loose antenna connection in the transmitter or receiver.

I mention all this because if the problem is #1 or #2 above, then you might end up with the same issue even if you shell out $$$ on another brand of triggers which operate in the same congested 2.4 GHz range.

Have you tried the trigger elsewhere? (more remote area of the park?) If you're in the middle of nowhere and still only get 6 meter range then that eliminates #1 and #2.

#3 can be checked by putting in fresh batteries per manufacturers specs.

If all checks out and you still get 6m range maybe it's a defect and perhaps you can get the units fixed under warranty.

PocketWizards operate at a different (lower) frequency band which is much less susceptible to congestion & interference. Also all else being equal, a low-frequency device will have a greater range than a high-frequency device (inverse relationship).
  • lilonglilong Posts: 9Member
    edited March 2013
    ZGR-2, 30m is no problem, max is 50~60m
    Control Nikon DSLR with iPhone, via Bluetooth 4.0, (Timer remote control and GPS Unit)
    (link removed)

Power and Cheap
    Post edited by Msmoto on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Phottix claims 60m for their wireless remotes. What model are you using?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm sort of hijacking the thread, but has any tried this remote trigger?

I'm not looking for a crazy amount of range, I just need one so that I don't touch the camera.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZYZ6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d2_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0T0S9Z7Z7RD44NJQV7NY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200322&pf_rd_i=507846

Looks cheap, and a couple bucks cheaper than the Nikon one. I don't foresee it screwing up the camera, as it's just infrared.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Only trouble with them is I find them unreliable in bright light and you have to fairly directly shoot one of the sensors on the body. If I am using my camera at arms length on a monopod high up or similar, they are not good (I use a wired connection in that case). Can't help on a wireless as I can't get enthusiastic about the WU-1a. I guess that's because of my mates Canon which allows such a great degree of control from a smartphone. Nikon's closed attitude to that kind of thing really gets me.
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I have been very happy with the range of my RFN-4s. Just not sure which of your bodies you are looking to mount it on.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks Ali for the reference to the RFN-4s. I had written that down many months ago and lost the paper. Going to toss this one out there for a BDay present which is next month.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    FYI, the RFN-4s also works in bulb mode; which is great for those long night exposures.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |