NIK Software

adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
edited March 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
As some of You know, some time ago Google took over Nik Software. Today They decided to drop the price on all Nik Software plugins to $149 (for ALL of them). Those of You (including myself) who bought the Nik Software within the last 5 years are eligible for free upgrade to the latest verision that will work in all Aperture, PS, LR.
http://www.niksoftware.com/

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Thanks. Maybe I give it a go, I always liked SilverEfex.
  • VipmediastarVipmediastar Posts: 55Member
    If I'm going to do extensive or creative editing I use Nik. Very pleasing results and easy to use.
    www.vipmediastar.com
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I read this as well but I could not find any information about the 5 year period on the Nik Homepage. I bought SilverEfex about two years ago. I read that a lot of people (manly from the US) received emails from Nik/Google with a download link.

@Adamz: did you receive such an email or did you find any further information on how to actually get the upgrade to the full suite?
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    I've also heard that if you previously purchased only a single NIK plug-in you are eligible to receive all of the plug-ins with no additional purchase required.

I love Viveza, Color EFX Pro and Dfine 2.0.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @corelli - I got the update information from NikSoftware g+ circle: https://plus.google.com/105020366195257635597/posts/GYMHJEaBYef
    and I'm waiting for the email from Nik, as I already downloaded the new version on my prime box and using the 15day trial.
    @adamz - make sure you check your spam, Postini lists the email from NIK as spam from what I've heard.
  • turnthedarncranksturnthedarncranks Posts: 116Member
    Seems like a killer deal. Are the plug-ins other than Silver Efex anywhere near as good?
    If you put in the code DZISER you get another rebate of around 26$
  • kampakampa Posts: 8Member
    This is very interesting. I got a copy of Nik Software Color Effects Pro 4 when I purchased 2 months ago a new Wacom Intuos5. I did register it and yesterday I got an email to download the full collection for free. As stated earlier, it was on Spam so keep an eye on that.

This is one of those happy days.
    guys, can You please tell me what was in the topic, I'm generally deleting all spam, though haven't deleted the trash yet so there's hope I have it on my box.
  • kampakampa Posts: 8Member
    The subject of the email is: "The Nik Collection by Google".
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    THANK YOU ADAMZ!!!!!!

I also saw they dropped Snapseed desktop - ;( I really liked that program for the usual FB posts.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    What's the downside of the free offer, if any? I've been using Viveza for quite a while and so I received the email with the free offer yesterday. However, being suspicious of anything that's Google-related, I've held off on downloading the Nik suite until I am convinced Google's got no sinister motive behind this offer.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Thanks Google/ Nik and Adamz
    I got the E-mail tonight and download the Nik Complete System works perfect on Photoshop LR an Aperture
    Nice to get some Good news for once.

Does this mean that Nikon /Google are bringing out some New Software
    Well, that's OK with me.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Is it possible to use the nik suite standalone? I dont have aperture or any other adobe software.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You used to be able to buy the apps standalone, not sure if you can now.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DXV_PhotoDXV_Photo Posts: 160Member
    Is it possible to use the nik suite standalone? I dont have aperture or any other adobe software.
    I would recommend downloading the 15 day trial to make sure.

I am able to right click on a file and open it in any of the programs on my mac. So, I would think you can use these standalone.
    right now You can only buy the whole pack.
    @babaganoush - now downsides
    right now You can only buy the whole pack.
    @babaganoush - now downsides
    I read somewhere that they simplified licensing and made it one license for all plug-ins going forward. Does that mean no more onesie, twosie on the plug-ins? Maybe. But now you get all of them for $150. As previously mentioned, < $300 ($215 if you're resourceful) for NIK + LightRoom is not a bad deal at all...

• roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

@JJ_SO thanks for the code, I couldn't resist anymore and got the plugins. Thanks!
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    @obajoba Thanks for the hint on checking the spam folder!!!

The complete subject line was "Your upgrade to the new Nik Collection by Google"
    @roombarobot You're welcome. I purchased the tools as well, although I have to be careful using them since I need to move the photo partition to a bigger drive soon - running out of space. And I never liked their behavior in developing fat TIF first instead of trying to come into the non-destructive rail LR and AA are usually treating the RAWs. But I guess, it's not so easy to stay updated with the editing structures of these two different converters. LR did some changes for better highlight recovering, I read.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Whoa. There it was in my spam folder. This is an awesome deal. I got Dfin 2 a couple years ago in lieu of getting a better camera. Now I can play with all the others. Awesome.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    I had the bill from Nik / Google in my Spam folder at GMail. That's kind of amusing, to see Google "killing" it's own mails ;)) But the reason was that many users marked these bills as phishing attempt.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    If you put in the code DZISER you get another rebate of around 26$
    @JJ_SO - Thank you for the coupon code. Saved me $22.35!

Occasionally a decent image ...