Welcome to the new Nikon Rumors Forum!

PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
edited December 2012 in General Discussions
The new [NR] forum is now live at http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussions. There are still several issues that must be addressed, but I believe the basic functionality is now working. If you are brave enough, go ahead, register and publish your first post. I would like to hear your feedback. We ran into several issues when importing the data from the old forum and we could not transfer all logins and passwords, unfortunately you will have to register again. I will keep the old forum live for a while and then I will make read-only. You can access the old [NR] forum at http://nikonrumors.com/forum/.

Thanks,
Peter
Post edited by Peter on
admin | nikonrumors.com

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    So far so good. I like the new interface, and the captcha registration process should keep the spam down significantly. Also the autosave of drafts while typing is a very welcome feature. Great job! I know how much a PITA these sorts of platform migrations can be...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Looks nice, moving away from the white text on black is a welcome change!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Looking good so far. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • bjrichusbjrichus Posts: 23Member
    edited December 2012
    It's here. Interesting that you chose to keep the large black side bars to the page? Lets see if this posts ok... I changed my avatar... Much prefer Brian Griffin to the Gecko as he has so much class.

And we now have graphical emoticons... 

:))
    Post edited by bjrichus on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Well looks like we have a learning curve to go through. It's just like a new person at starbucks and before you know it they have it down pat. It will be great.
  • bjrichusbjrichus Posts: 23Member
    edited December 2012
    Peter,

Are you going to update the link to the forum from the blog to point here rather than the old forum at some point?

Also, I get logged out whenever I click on the [NR] logo/banner at the top of the page (and yes, I did check the 'keep me logged in' check box)...

Good work so far.... A nice Christmas update.  

:D
    Post edited by bjrichus on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmm... I seem to be here, now if I can find my control mechanism....
    Msmoto, mod
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    Mmm... I seem to be here, now if I can find my control mechanism....
    I just changed your profile to a mod. Click on the Dashboard link on the right. Let me know if you have any problems.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Well looks like we have a learning curve to go through. It's just like a new person at starbucks and before you know it they have it down pat. It will be great.
    Yes, the layout is different, but everything is very simple and intuitive. I never liked the "standard" forum format - they are so crowded with "stuff".  
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Peter,

Are you going to update the link to the forum from the blog to point here rather than the old forum at some point?

Also, I get logged out whenever I click on the [NR] logo/banner at the top of the page (and yes, I did check the 'keep me logged in' check box)...

Good work so far.... A nice Christmas update.  

:D
    Yes, I will change the link in the next few days and make the old forum read only. I am sorry again that you guys have to re-register. I still have not given up on importing the old data, but it will probably take a while. The spam problem on the old forum was out of control, I cannot wait to shut it down. I am aware of the logged out issue, I have no solution yet.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Noooo It is WHITE with black text...  Like white canon lenses! Hey admin where is the red stripe?  Ok ill stop teasing :P

Is this our christmas gift. Spam free NR is a good gift to me :D
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    The main reason I made it white is to match the blog. I hope I can get away with it :)
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    edited December 2012
    My first post on the new site Peter! Is there a guide to the main improvements on this one over the other? (I can see some straight away......Are the text editing options above meant to be greyed out?). Regarding spam, what is stopping them from registering with a disposable email address? Sorry for my ignorance, just not quite sure how this will help?
    Post edited by SkintBrit on
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
    The new forum has much better tools for fighting spam - better captcha, IP blocking, etc. The old forum did not have any of those features. When I started the forum back in 2008, I really had no clue what I was doing and I did not select a good forum platform. Most of all, I like the clean look of the new forum. Many things are the same as before. I will try to create a list of what's new, but I am sure you can figure out all feature in 10 minutes.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    While I don't find it less cluttered looking than the last one the only thing that is really bothering me is the "new message descrip" which is highlighted in yellow. It looks too busy. Could you use a grey or more muted color or am I in the minority? The neon yellow is driving me nuts...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Just logged in, took a while, as I had to come up with a new password. Very good. I was wondering if there is a simple way to make the text in the messages a somewhat larger font?
    While I don't find it less cluttered looking than the last one the only thing that is really bothering me is the "new message descrip" which is highlighted in yellow. It looks too busy. Could you use a grey or more muted color or am I in the minority? The neon yellow is driving me nuts...
    Changed the color to light yellow. I will try to enlarge the text in the post next.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Two days and not a single spam! In the mean time we got like 30 spam comments in the old forum that had to manually be deleted. I will probably make the old forum "read only" tonight. Feel free to open any discussion here that was recently started on the old forum.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    If you are RSS feed fan, you can get the forum RSS feed here by just adding this URL to your RSS reader: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussions
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Two days and not a single spam! In the mean time we got like 30 spam comments in the old forum that had to manually be deleted. I will probably make the old forum "read only" tonight. Feel free to open any discussion here that was recently started on the old forum.
    Not trying to rain on the parade, but the blog still points to the old Forum. The real test will come, IMO, when it points here. Here's hoping for good results.
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    Working....and looking....grrreeeaatttt. It's a little LIGHT, but not too bad, I do like it. Merry Christmas to all!!
    Thanks Admin :D
  • SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on

Not trying to rain on the parade, but the blog still points to the old Forum. The real test will come, IMO, when it points here. Here's hoping for good results.

The blog points already to the new forum.
    admin | nikonrumors.com