Lens recommendation!

jamilsjamils Posts: 28Member
edited April 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Well basically I am going to travel to NYC in two weeks and i want to buy a new lens that would get me great shots there, but yet still be cool for time to time use other than that , i am looking for a lens for around $350 and those are the lenses i am looking at :
- http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-af-17-50mm/MzQxNQ_A_A
- http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-af-18-200mm-f/ODQz
- http://www.digitalrev.com/product/samyang-14mm-f-2-8/MTAwMDEzMA_A_A
- http://www.digitalrev.com/product/sigma-18-200mm-f3-5/MjA2OA_A_A

As you can see i listed a Fish eye lens because i really want one XD i love using fish eye lenses...anyways give me your thoughts and advices , i am not advertising for digital rev but i put their links because it's the website i am going to order from most likely...
My Camera : -D3100
-Lenses : Kit lens (18-55) and 40mm 2.8 macro nikkor lens

Comments

• obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Is the Tokina 11-16mm too far out of budget? I've seen fantastic images from it.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    +1 obajoba as you may find the fisheye gets old real fast.

Your current lenses lack any length for portraits/street photography so you may want to think about something that will take in the 70-100 length.
    Always learning.
  • jamilsjamils Posts: 28Member
    @Obajoba i would love to but it's over my budget :(

@spraynpray but i still want something that would take wide angle landscapes and portraits nothing necessarily too amazing i know you would tell me to use the 18-55 but i don't really like it and i am looking for something better, do you think it's better to get the Nikon 18-105 or the 17-55?? i am also liking the Fish eye but i am not sure if it would work with my D3100
    Well then, you could think about the 16-85VR because it will do all of the above.

Don't be fooled by the lowly price of the 18-55VR it is a fine, sharp little lens. My wife has one on her D3100 and it is sharper than my 18-105 :-/
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Personally I liked the Tamron when I used it - worth getting the VC for sure. I think this would be a smart choice for the future use.

Fisheyes are not good for landscapes as the curvature in post is never corrected well. They have a unique look that takes a ton of practice to begin to get good shots. Shooting one takes a lot of time to set up as well. It is not a lens you just walk around with. Considering what you have, I would focus on non-specialty glass.

18-105vr would be a better walk around lens. Another cheaper option would be the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 DI-II VC PZD. I would stay away from Sigma in this class of lenses.

I would spend the extra money for VR or vibration reduction for whatever lens. It is 100% worth it.

Personally I would suggest the 50mm 1.8 if you want to learn photography more and have more unique images.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    I would get the 50mm but i need something good for travel and i already have something fairly similar the 40mm macro nikon lens 2.8, i am liking the Tamron 18-270lens
    I'm personally not a big fan of the super-zooms (or whatever they're called) like the 18-200's because of the contrast loss, but that is strictly my opinion and based on my perception of their performance.

I got some fantastic shots with my 18-105 on my D7000 and they were quite sharp once processed, though I did build a preset in LR to setup the sharpness, clarity, etc. on import.

The 16-85 and 18-105 Nikkors would both be in the top 5 of my list if I was looking for a standard zoom at this price range. The 18-55VR that I compared to my 18-105 was slightly less sharp, but it's possible that fine-tuning could have fixed that.
    Guys would you recommend the Sigma 18-250mm or the Tamron 18-270?
    Tamron. As TTJ said - stay away from Sigma in this class of lens.
    Always learning.
    Thank you guys you have been more than helpful!!
    i was wondering would a Nikon 18-105 have better quality or the Tamron 18-270??
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    WHAT FISHEYE? The Samyang 14mm is a rectilinear wide, not a fisheye.
    i was wondering would a Nikon 18-105 have better quality or the Tamron 18-270??
    At that level/class the Tamron would probably be a better build (metal mount vs. nikon's plastic) I think. Tamron actually has good products out of the releases in the last 3-4 or so years.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    WHAT FISHEYE? The Samyang 14mm is a rectilinear wide, not a fisheye.
    That is what I was thinking as well - the link above from DigitalRev labels it as a fisheye. Never saw a fisheye under 110deg Angle of View.
    I didn't check before making my comment on the OP's comment as I have no interest in fisheyes.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    A 10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor used can be had for about $300 - 400....this gives 150° horizontal coverage on DX, and is a fisheye with 180° corner to corner. This is a very sharp lens IMO.
    Msmoto, mod
    A 10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor used can be had for about $300 - 400....this gives 150° horizontal coverage on DX, and is a fisheye with 180° corner to corner. This is a very sharp lens IMO.
    The Samyang 8mm fisheye can be had for less, and it´s extremely sharp as well. And nobody really needs AF on such a lens anyway.
    msmoto can you send me a link of the lens you are talking about cause i can't find a nikon fisheye for less than 700~ , and guys if i increase my budget to like 600$ is there a better quality lens with decent wide angle and good zoom?
    but btw if i take the Samyang 8mm will it work on my D3100???
    edited April 2013
    but btw if i take the Samyang 8mm will it work on my D3100???
    Sure. Search Flickr for example with "D3100 Samyang 8mm" and you will see what that combo can do.

The chipped AE version will allow the use of camera's focus confirm, auto exposure, auto metering, auto white balance.

Post edited by Godless on
    If you want wide at a good price on DX, the Tokina 11-16mm is the way to go IMO. Someone here on the forum has a Rokinon (14mm?) and they've posted some wonderful images they've taken with it. But I'm getting confused, because I thought you wanted a walkaround lens :)

Also, unless you really know what to look for, or are buying from a reputable retailer, you may want to shy away from used lenses. I've seen some pretty gnarly used lenses that looked great in the photos the seller had posted.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    In the range we are talking about, the Tamron 10-24 is a good lens, for $500. For walk around in NYC (are we talking Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens?) I would want a small, light, unobtrusive looking lens, I would strap a Nikkor 35mm 1.8 ($200) on the 3100 and leave it. The super zooms have already been discussed, that would be my second choice for walk around/vacation lens.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited April 2013
    There are a lot of shots in NYC where you will want a higher, as well as shorter, focal length to shoot the tops of buildings, and key interest points in the park, and elsewhere.

The Nikon 10-24mm is much better than the any of the third-party lenses for DX in a similar range. Tamron would be my second choice. The Tokina 11-16mm is an excellent lens, but like I said above, all of these are too wide for a single lens solution in NYC.

The single lens choice that TaoTeJared suggested above, the Tamron 18-270mm, is a very sharp lens even in the older versions with excellent contrast. I bought one before Nikon came out with their 18-300mm and love its VR which for some reason is better than any of my Nikon lenses. The Tamron is a better lens from using, at least one model of each, than the Sigma in this same zoom range, and the Tamron definitely has the best VR. The VR in this Tamron model is amazing. The Tamron can be bought used without the PZD at reasonable prices, and it is excellent quality.

I also have the Nikon 16-85mm which is an excellent walk around lenses with VR, very good contrast and is sharp as a tack. It does have some distortion at 16mm but is correctable, and that extra 2mm on the low-end is more helpful than you might imagine. It is like having an extra 40-50mm at 180-200mm, very helpful sometimes. If I went to an 18mm wide angle then I would definitely go with the Tamron 18-270mm. It does everything the Nikon 18-105mm does with more reach, but of course is missing that extra 2mm on the wide end.

I would stay away from the Fish-Eye lenses for this trip for many reasons. I have several of them, and they fun to use, especially when playing with virtual spaces, making the foreground bigger than life, and pano. I use the Nikon 10.5mm which is sharp, and has great contrast, but so is the Samyang 8mm. I agree with Godless that auto-focus is not really necessary with the these lens. lol. To de-focus almost have to set the lens for closest focus distance setting, and then shoot at far horizon.

My choice for one lens solution is either be the Tamron 18-270, or the 16-85mm for NYC, which depends on what you like, or want to shoot most. Ideally I would take the Nikon 10-24mm, and the Tamron 18-270mm with two bodies and a two camera harness from Rapid, and not miss anything, but I am a compulsive obsessive, and but still have a budget just like you. I've just have had more time to accumulate equipment. Do not be afraid of buying used lens from reputable dealers with decent return policies.

Good luck.
    Post edited by TriShooter on
    Good luck with walking around NYC with two bodies swinging by your sides Trishooter - you're a braver man than I! :-S
    Always learning.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    @spraynpray

Great comment !!! I am one of those people that is seldom approached by people with bad attentions, but have admit to getting pick-pocketed once in 1971/72, and yes it was in NYC. LOL. The trick is to keep one in each hand and look everyone straight in the eye that walks by you while staying alert for bumps, and anyone else that wants to talk, or come into contact with you. When shooting move the unused camera to your chest and cradle it with your arm.