Tablets and Smartphones vs point and shoots

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited December 2014 in General Discussions
so many of you still carry a P&S?

or do you just use a smart phone?

I have not used my d7100 for over a year

if I just want a record of the event, I use a smart phone, for the simple reason, it is all ways with me

If I want to capture the event properly I use a D800

I am not interested in something in-between

what smart phone do I use? well it not an iphone

but it is white and has lots and lots of mega whatnots and takes pretty good photos
I
totally agree that there is no loyalty with smart phone users. Many switch to what ever is the hot item of the month. Nikon can compete and raise the camera quality...but why would you do that if your going to hurt your bread and butter line of point & shoot.

No I have no loyalty to my phone brand

Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I don't own a smartphone.

And if the 0.3 MP of my old talking bone are not enough, I sometimes remember I own an iPod touch which can also take nice enough photos.

But what was your question again?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I do not own a P&S, thus my iPhone fulfills that roll. And yes I have use it on many, many occasions in taking pictures and it does a fine job. Any image is better than none to remember the moment that took place.

And it is black...much like all my Nikon gear. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I was really leaning towards a Nikon 1 J3 camera, for just walking around, but after a while I got used to just using my iPhone, and it is not even the 5, but "just" the 4s. I'll wait to see what iPhone 5s/6 delivers, rumors has it that the camera will be upgraded to 12MP, and 2 LED lights for flash: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/15/rumor-apples-next-gen-iphone-to-boast-12-megapixel-camera-with-improved-sensitivity-hdr
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    smartphone for sure, i'd always prefer to carry one device over two
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Do those "Smartphones" shoot RAW?.......LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @Msmoto Most truly compact P&S cameras don't shoot RAW either, unless you go higher end (P310, S110).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @Msmoto: Not on the iPhone 5...yet. However, I can take nice panoramic shots as a substitute for the lack of RAW files :P

Oooh and the HDR...well that too need a lot of improvement given what I can do with my D-SLR. Good God I have spoiled myself.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Do those "Smartphones" shoot RAW?.......LOL
    Yes.

I was wondering, if there's no app amongst the 100.000s which could take RAWs. There's this one, called 645 Pro II which can shoot "lossless JPG" (whatever that is) and TIF (LZW and uncompressed). Of course, the camera is worth something like 5$ as sparepart, so no one should expect wonders - but that app is impressive, I'd say. You can lock AE, AF and do bracketing, longtime (1 sec, okay, pretty long for an iOS device). You've got several film-modes, spot or center-metering...

I could imagine, on Android there's something similar.

And by the way, these phones can do a lot of things stupid Nikon DSLRs can't do or need longer to be set up... it's pretty hard to phone somebody with a D4 :D

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @JJ_SO thats because you don't have a D4. If you did, you would know there is a hidden communication that takes place between all D4 users, kind of like telepathy. I know because Golf007 showed me. Shhhhh, very secret stuff.

Back on topic. Smartphone with good apps, camera+, snapspeed, etc, is always with me. P&S for really harsh environments.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    When I used the iPhone I used hipstamatic that app alone is worth the iPhone. I also used snapseed for editing and now on the HTC one I use no editing or snapseed as well.
    Both smart phones did a great job but I now have a Fuji xe1.
    I'm daily in downtown Chicago and this is now my street camera. For other things it's the d800

If I don't have my cameras the smartphone is a great option for fun shooting and quick editing.
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    edited July 2013
    This is coming our later this year:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom 10 x Zoom and a Xenon flash.

http://www.onlinegadgetstore.com/5604-samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-reveals-16mp-cam-10x-optical-zoom/

that could tempt me away from iphone6.

And a review of it here: 16mp

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-1160410/review

and a dP review of it

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/8904016896/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom
    Post edited by itsnotmeyouknow on
    Once you go Mac you NEVER go back:)
    Not entirely true. My wife used to use Macbook pro but has gone back to a windows laptop

Obviously misguided:)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited July 2013
    indeed. i did a quick hard drive upgrade swap to one of my clients and cloned without a problem to the new drive. everything worked flawlessly.

as for iphone i have gone iphone, android, iphone, android.
    lets see what the next iphone holds.

I love my Mac and wouldn't go back to windows expecially windows 8.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    edited July 2013
    Obviously misguided:)
    My wife does online gaming and to have the necessary power she would need top of the line macbook pro when a windows laptop of a third of the price does the job better. The video/graphics card is the problem. Apple uses a cheap shared graphics card on a MBP costing £1500. To get the one available in a £700 windows laptop you have to spend £2k. No brainer on her part. I'm still on mac, but I do have frustrations with it.

The iphone drives me nuts. Great as a device but hopeless as a phone. You have to have 3G coverage to do anything with an app whereas I used to be able to access twitter etc on a Nokia N97 with 1 bar of GPRS. You speak to a member of staff at an apple store and you get "Well you should stay within reach of wifi." Pointless.

Apple has become more and more arrogant as times goes on.

Post edited by itsnotmeyouknow on
    I wouldn't sign "never go back", since Windows made some progress forward - I don't know about 8, but 7 is reliable enough and I'm working daily 8-10 hours on it. At home, I went from 10.4 all updates to 10.7 and returned to 10.6 and with all the latest stuff I really miss Steve's touch.

Apple becomes normal - awesome was their past.
    I have found that Mac's, in general are far more robust than PC's. Having said that, so long as the end user can get his or her work done in a manner that is acceptable to them, that is all that matters.

And now back to the topic at hand...
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I have never taken a single picture with my phone and never intend to. Having seen thousands of such images I confess they have zero attraction for me. I have seen dozens of people shooting such gear and seen them compare all their images and if someone is using say a D3100 or a D3200 everyone things those images are the best. Most smartphone users quickly concede their cameras are not producing top quality images. So if I had to recommend to someone (which I am asked to do almost everyday) which to buy p&S vs smartphone my standard answer is NEITHER. Get a DSLR. Quite a few have taken my advice and many have now a hobby they really treasure. I sure have a lot of them that have bought the D3100, D3200, and even once in awhile the D7100 and they all write more thank you emails than I would ever expect.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    But if I HAD to chose between a smartphone or a P&S it sure as hell would be a P&S.
    @Golf007sd You just can't separate Apple, Android or Windows OS from a thread with smartphones in. Apple has done a lot of pioneer work for the interfaces we know and use happily today - others copied, more or less smart/obvious. Of course, getting the job done is what matters - but more or less all systems get a job done.

Question remains: how?

That app I was writing about some posts earlier, gets a job done. But the result of a 5$ micro sensor smartphone cam with lens compared to a 20$ P&S upper class sensor with 100$ body and lens and other wired stuff is not only different in watching at but also working with it.

So, if it's really really really only point and shoot - a cellphone saves another device. If the one who's doing the shot enjoys taking photographs, everything of that experience yells "no": holding a screen in half arm length away from my eyes is like throwing a fork into the corner where the beefsteak is supposed to be - maybe it hits the target.
    But the smartphones sure are getting closer to P&S these days...

Take a look at the new Nokia Lumia 1020, it has a 41MP camera in it, actually I dare say it is a P&S with a phone build into it:) http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia1020/

Now if it was only using IOS:)
    edited July 2013
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    For those of you who, If had the choice of only one, you would choose the P&C

have you found a P& S that makes phone calls ?

may be this is Nikon new product, a camera with built in phone
    Who wants to be interrupted by phonecalls when shooting great footage? :D