Recommendation for a high end compact camera

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited July 2013 in Other Manufacturers
This is a follow on from the old forum

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=8800

The D800 and the D7100 are brilliant but they won't go in a pocked (even a large one)

the P7100 has snail speed focusing

The Nikon 1 is not very good at high ISO

so what high end compact does any one use or recommend

what are people thoughts on the Sony Alpha NEX-7 Dig with the SEL E16mm f/2.8 Pancake lens

my needs
low light
fast focusing
will fit in a bigish pocket
as close in quality to a D7100 as I can get
Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited July 2013
    There's one guy from New Zealand, Trey Ratcliff, apparently a famous blogger, who switched from Nikon to NEX, is very happy about but uses a tripod and ISO 100 for lowlight - to me, not a real lowlight-solver.

But it was nice to read his reasons.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited July 2013
    D3100 and a 35mm 1.8G DX lens, this is my point and shoot
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I suspect your bests bets would be fixed lens compacts (X100s, Ricoh GR) or an NEX, or Fuji ILC camera.

RE: Sony 16mm f2.8. From the reviews I've read it is not a very well liked lens, lots of distortion and sharpness issues.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2013
    What's wrong with the latest Nikon 1? Very small and very good IQ plus interchangeable lenses if you want. Low light is perhaps weaker, but how many small sensors are better?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • Forget the NEX-7. I have one since april last year, good camera, tons of possibilities, but still no quality lenses and very, very poor ISO results even ISO 800 is real bad in most cases. For me useless.

The quality lenses should be the Zeiss ones, 24mm en the 2 new touit's, $1000 +. The cheap Sigma 30mm f/2.8 beats them all. The Sony 50mm f/1.8 (too expensive) is usable, but lite tele on the NEX, due to 1.5 crop as you know.

That is it for NEX lenses and I give up hope, real quality lenses will come.

Bought the Tamron 18-200mm for it, because it should be better then the 18-200mm Sony. What a rubbish was that for 700 euro.

You can buy all sorts of converters for mounting other brand lenses, but then you are back in the dark ages, because you can only do everything manual. So you have to buy yourself a lightmeter.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The high ISO issue seems to be the limiting factor for most. I suspect the APS-C sensor will be required to obtain good results. My Olympus Pen E - PL-2 which was $200 at the Ritz closing has surprised me withits quality, but again, no real ISO above 800. Here is one snap:
    http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fantinesfotos/9200911139/sizes/o/
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I would say the Sony RX100 MkII.

Two of my cousins got a MkI version and they're both really happy with their results.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2013
    That for the help
    The high ISO issue seems to be the limiting factor for most.
    yes that seems to be the case

at the moment
    The Fuji X100S seems the best bet
    until some one brings out a compact full frame

• SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member

at the moment
    The Fuji X100S seems the best bet
    until some one brings out a compact full frame

You do know about the Sony DSC-RX1 and rumoured RX-2 cameras, right?
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I use both the Nikon 1 and the Fuji X100s. The Nikon 1 with the 28 mm pancake is a great, tiny alternative, and I can use any of my Nikon lenses, even the manual focus lenses I've had for 30 years.

Look at the Fuji X100s seriously if you are looking for high end compact. I was documenting a job in a dark building enclosing a mine pit with absurd back lighting from the door the other day and it exceeded my expectations.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    Just purchased the EOS M with 22mm f/2 lens deal for USD299 for my wife. Presently at my US address so would not have access till end of month when we all go on holiday. I hear the firmware update improves the focusing speed and low light ISO acceptable....so lets see...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2013
    Early reports of that firmware update show it to still be slower, and far less accurate, than the Fuji xxx series cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    Point noted PB_PM... Overall it seems a good deal and would be adequate as a travel camera for wifey who has a good photography eye

You do know about the Sony DSC-RX1 and rumoured RX-2 cameras, right?
    I do now, Thanks

any one got or getting one ?

• CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I got myself an Olympus E-PL5 and I am really happy with it. Fast AF and quite decent low light capabilities (in my opinion). Currently I use the kit zoom (equivalent to a 24 - 84 mm) and a wide zoom (18 - 36 mm) but I plan on getting some primes as well.

On the negative side is definitely the missing view finder. I got one as an accessory (you can slide it onto the hotshoe) because I really prefer to use that over the screen. Nice thing about the screen is, you can click with your finger and the camera will focus on that location and take the picture.
  • brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    Yeah, if you want pocketable, or close, you choices are pretty limited. If you still want high IQ maybe an e-pl5 from Olympus. The J1 is close to pocketable and has good AF speed in good light, but the small sensor struggles at any ISO higher than 800 (yes I own one, and almost all of the lenses). Or wait and see what size the new body is from Fuji.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited July 2013
    Look into the Fuji X series

Start with the Fuji x100s
    Then the xe1
    Then the xm1

Fuji keeps releasing firmware improvements for hardware. Not just fixes but nice new features.

I had the xe1 for a few weeks now. It is a pleasure to shoot with.
    The xm1 is cheaper and comes with a lens kit.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    X100S and for interchangeable lense flexibility the X-E1 or X-M1. The fujis have the best APS-C sensors for High iso capability..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2014
    I am still looking for a compact So what do people think of the D3300
    what about the new 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II??

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2014
    I am still looking for a compact So what do people think of the D3300
    what about the new 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II??

Maybe compact for a DSLR, but still not small enough for me.

Sony RX100 II is the best choice right now I think still.

$700 at Amazon. About the same as a D3200 with a 35mm 1.8. I still don't get why you can't get a D3200 body only. I don't want the kit lens, I have one already. The D40x used to be able to be bought body only.

I wouldn't expect too much out of the new 18-55 kit.

Either that or a Coolpix A.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member

my needs
    low light
    fast focusing
    will fit in a bigish pocket
    as close in quality to a D7100 as I can get
    I'm highlighting in bold and underlining the "close in quality to a D7100" as that is the desire of performance. One goal you have left out is what is the "end use"? Family & sharing only or hopeful gallery/contest shooting? That makes a big difference.

I have been looking for this for years - not many exist in a x100 sized body without some big trade-offs. And all options get really pricey with lenses. Fast focusing (to DSLR standards) is non-existent in low light - you just don't get both. After my recent trip I'm looking at one of the very small m4/3 or Fuji/Sony DX offerings for just snapshots and to run on just auto. With that in mind for the goal, I would have a hard time justifying spending over $500 for one though. And at that point my standards lower even more.

Sony's RX100 II is reviewed well, but playing with one, I found the images and function to be a compact digi cam - nothing more. Better than the rest out there, but still a digi cam and falls far short of the ILC options out there.

I have a X100 (non S) and love it for many reasons, and hate it for a few. Depending on your style it may be very limiting or rewarding. I have found it to be both. IQ is equal to the D7100. The X-trans sensor is better. X-m1? Have heard the focusing is bad on it but the IQ is just as good as the big brothers.

Nikon 1 series and m4/3rds, I found the quality of 800-3200 is muddy and details are lost. but isn't necessarily one to rule out. If it is just for family stuff, It is pretty good. I saw the $199 deal was back on one of the Nikon 1s, that is a lot of camera for that.

Question is, what do you want to give up?

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Fit in a pocket. My Coolpix A is the best camera money can buy that fits that description with its DX sensor and prime lens. The Ricoh GR is the second choice. Not quire as good but a couple of hundred cheaper.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I have been looking for such a pocketable camera also. I want Nikon DX sensor with the Nikon Picture Controls I am used to and can set like my DSLRs for the same look and a collapsible lens so I can get it onto a suit pocket. Coolpix A is close but the price is too high considering what you pay for a D3300 or D5300. A DX sensor in a Coolpix body shouldn't cost more than a D3300 kit. So I am waiting. I expect Nikon to be producing a line of DX "compacts" soon and prices to fall. Basically, I want a pocketable D3300.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    The lens is very good in the Coolpix A, better than any DX lens at 18.5mm and the body is made in Japan with a professional (almost) build quality. That may happen Donaldjose, but the lens and build quality will not be as good. However, the price is and will come down. In Canada, original MSRP was 1150, I paid 1100 and Future Shop is selling for 900 as a regular price.
    edited January 2014
    <<i> One goal you have left out is what is the "end useQuestion is, what do .....you want to give up?

I want to give up carrying a big heavy D800
    every one keeps banging on about Dx is getting close to FX quality
    I am now fully retired, so photos are for my own satisfaction
    but I am used to D800 quality
    I want a camera that is always with me that will capture that stunning rainbow or sunset , that is only there for seconds

Just bough a flipside 300 which allows me to carry the 800 and the 24 -120 f 4 most of the time