Broke lens mount on D600

SodaliciousSodalicious Posts: 3Member
edited August 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Greetings!

Just recently had a bad fall for my D600 with a 24-70 attached. Fell literally 1 ft from being on a bench and tipping to its doom. The lens is fine but the lens mount on the camera itself got torn out albeit partially. It's cracked on the inside for where the metal lens mount is attached to in two areas. Moreover, it's been also slightly wedged out from the impact.

Just wondering if this part is repairable/replaceable? I know that it's gonna cost hundreds but I just wanted a closer figure estimate... Nikon repair service phonelines wont be up again till their normal hours. Really need it for an event I'm helping photograph next weekend.

Cheers!

Will post photos of the heartbreaker lates.

Tagged:

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident...yes the mount is replaceable. However, if it is more of the front body and not the metal mount itself, then that is the part they will address. You are probably looking in the $350-$400 (US) in repair bill. I would not try to take the lens off as it could cause more damage...use your best judgment. Also be cautious in using it in areas with high winds and such...their is a possibility of getting more dust or unwanted objects on the sensor.

Good luck...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Bad news. If you ask for a repair cost on the Nikon web site they will respond with one. But don't be surprised if when you send it in they come back with a different cost. That just happened to me and the cost was $45 more.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think this problem occurred in another thread on NR somewhere. IIRC the repair price was less expensive than a lot of us thought it would be. It is not an uncommon problem, and that shouldn't sound negative because it seems the sacrificial nature of the mount saves the bill being much higher and you get you camera thoroughly checked out following a fall. I know one guy who regularly drops his D700 and never gets it checked 'because it is built like a tank and it still works OK' and so doesn't notice/care/acknowledge that there could be something out of whack in his lens or body now.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2013
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/250/d600-cracked-body/p1

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=12226

From one of our members who was at the meeting..., Ben V...

I got my baby back! Here the list of things they did to her.

Replace Front Body
    Replace Mirror Box
    Replace Reflex Mirror
    Adjust Mirror Angle
    Adjust Body Flange Back
    Adjust Auto Focus Operation
    Checked Meter Accuracy
    General Check & Clean

Im still feeling so lucky that only cost me 250 bucks.

PLEASE DO A FORUM SEARCH BEFORE STARTING NEW THREADS.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • SodaliciousSodalicious Posts: 3Member
    edited August 2013
    Just wanted to clarify that it was the inside that was actually cracked. Not the front body. Is this still do'able/repairable in the ~250 price point as experienced from the previous person? I couldn't find out where exactly his lens mount broke off (he didn't indicate the exact area rather)

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    We can only guess, you can send or take it in to your nearest service centre for a free quotation though...
    Always learning.
  • SodaliciousSodalicious Posts: 3Member
    Yowza... Just got a quote from the service center in Mississauga Ontario...

$600 bones.

I have to say it may be worth shopping around - $600!!!!
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2013
    Sounds about right for a major repair. Nikon Canada will often charge more than Nikon USA, simply because the cost of parts is different depending on the distributor. Same reason a repair in Europe could cost more.

The entire mirror box and front plate look like they would need replacement. The AF system is likely out of alignment as well. This is why I don't touch these cameras that have plastic mirror boxes. I've dropped my D700 and the D300 I had a number of times and never had problems, and yes I have had Nikon check the cameras. Mounting heavy lenses on a metal mount that is screwed into plastic a recipe for disaster.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    My D7000 has gone down with a 300mm onto cement as with an 28-70mm... Nobody wants to admit it but the D600 was built to a slightly lower standard than the D7000...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson