Tired of waiting on a D400, D3x or D800

framerframer Posts: 491Member
edited August 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I've been in need of a second body for some time. I've been using a D3s as my main and a D2hs as my 2nd but I just don't get the quality I want from the old D2hs. I've been waiting for a D400 for years like most of you but am getting an itch to get it replaced soon. My choices are D3, D3s, D3x, or a D800. I can get a D3 for about what I would expect a D400 to be priced new. Being I was wanting to get a bit more reach from my 400 2.8 I might step it up to the D3x or the D800. Another D3s is really not needed, a used D3x is cheaper.

I have seen some 40 x 60 inch images from a D3x that were beyond good.

No, I will not get a D7100.

Your thoughts,

framer
Post edited by framer on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2013
    The D3x is not exactly a high ISO champ, so if you are looking for an improvement in that area, the D3 or D800 are a far better choice.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I have a D3s for high ISO and speed, I'm looking at quality more that speed for that 2nd body.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @framer: Hay there, I would highly recommend the D800. Mount your 400 2.8 on it and go to town.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    D300s if you want DX. I'm thinking about grabbing a refurb from the Nikon store.
    edited August 2013
    D300s would be useable but I would be looking to replace it in 6 months. I want something that I will use for 5+ years.
    Post edited by framer on
    I'm also getting tired of waiting for the D400, but I want to stick with DX. I figure I can sell the D300s when the D400 finally arrives. Yeah, I'll take a hit, but stil get out cheaper than a D800.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I have never used a D3x
    but apart for fps the D800 cannot be faulted
    if you are after quality you will not regret a D800, it is gob smacking amazing
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    All these great comments about the D800. But what about the slow number of frames per second and you shoot some wild life and a some birding? 4 FPS is slow when you look at what the D300 does.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited August 2013
    Any of them will be, the D2Hs shoot at 8FPS, so aside from the D3, all are slower. Framer already said speed is not a requirement anyway.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    U S E D D700...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    I got a used D3x not long ago - the picture quality is amazing. The controls of the D3x are virtually identical to the D3s which would make it completely intuitive to swap between bodies. D3x also uses the same battery as the D3s which would be very handy, especially if you travel.

The D800 is a great camera as long as you have a pc that is up to scratch - 36mp files may slow your workflow considerably otherwise.

But really both will take amazing shots, plenty of extremely happy D800 users out there - hard to go wrong either way...
  • catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    D300s would be useable but I would be looking to replace it in 6 months. I want something that I will use for 5+ years.
    The Nikon refurbished store has a sale on everything right now the D800 was $2159 but at the moment it shows out of stock, they do have the D300 for $950 no D300s though.
    “Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
    ― Ansel Adams
    edited August 2013
    I got a used D3x not long ago - the picture quality is amazing. The controls of the D3x are virtually identical to the D3s which would make it completely intuitive to swap between bodies. D3x also uses the same battery as the D3s which would be very handy, especially if you travel.

The D800 is a great camera as long as you have a pc that is up to scratch - 36mp files may slow your workflow considerably otherwise.

But really both will take amazing shots, plenty of extremely happy D800 users out there - hard to go wrong either way...

You sir make a strong case for a D3x, I had not considered the battery or the exact handling issues. I have several extra batteries and also an F6, D3s and D2hs all using compatible batteries and charger. I have a lot too consider.

framer

Post edited by framer on
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I do see having the exact same controls and batteries being a bonus but would want the ability to shoot autofocus at f8, I would go for the D800.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    D800's files are better than the D3x and is almost at the same build quality. The ability to crop with so much detail is amazing.

If you are looking at a D3, A D700 with grip is cheaper and essentially the same thing. I have the grip (D300 is the same) and have been watching the price drops to have one of these as a back up camera.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • adsads Posts: 93Member

You sir make a strong case for a D3x, I had not considered the battery or the exact handling issues. I have several extra batteries and also an F6, D3s and D2hs all using compatible batteries and charger. I have a lot too consider.

framer

My brother in law is a wedding photographer, he shoots a D3s for low light and a D3x for portraits etc. Hired a D800 as a possible replacement for the D3x and said that for him the ease of using 2 bodies that were identical and only needing one type of battery for events outweighed the extra megapixels (I was considering a D800 as well). He obviously does a LOT of shooting though and obviously your mileage may vary. He also mentioned the processing time as an issue, but ultimately wasn't the deal breaker.

For me I only have 1 body so the controls weren't an issue. However the cold temp ability and battery capacity of the D3 series was a definite plus. Was shooting in the Tetons in winter with my old body and batteries were only lasting about 30 mins in the cold!

Have you thought of hiring one or both for a day? Shooting them back to back may make it an easier decision...
    After thinking about this over the weekend I'm getting more interested in the D3x than any other body.

1- I'm upping the quality on what I have.

2- The batteries @ charger are the same. Nothing extra to carry.

3- Controls 99.5% the same between bodies.

4- The usability time frame would exceed even a D400 coming out today.

Nothing is perfect except the camera the US government bought and stuck in that Satellite.

framer

Seems logical if you are willing to pay the price for it, even if newer cameras are better and less expensive.
    in the in the UK a D3x is more than twice the price of a D800
    what can you get one for, your side of the pond

Used 3100 - 3300 USD
    edited September 2013
    not sure If you do professional work
    If you do and it is a choice between new and S/H
    I would go for new
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • nikclicknikclick Posts: 3Member
    Launch of P7800 gives a clear guess that there might be a lower model than current DX line up to both D5200 & 3200. Something similar to
    Canon EOS 100D but with a good EVF which could make it more compact than EOS 100D. Seeing the LV AF performance of the new Sony A3000 , I guess this new compact DSLR will be using same 20MP sensor & the D400 too will be having same 20MP sensor. I don't think Nikon will replace the current line up with EVF as beginners like to use OVF.. The question is how will they implement it ? Translucent technology ??? Any ways if successfully implemented , well have a very small DX camera. But i really wish Nikon just put this 20MP sensor on the P7800. Will wait & See :)
  • nikclicknikclick Posts: 3Member
    Wildest guess : if this 20Mp sensor can AF continuous on LV , when used in D400 , it should directly compact with the current Canon 700D or the rumored 7DII
    Of all my equipment I bought over 40 year 80+% was used.
    not sure If you do professional work
    If you do and it is a choice between new and S/H
    I would go for new
    I don't see the relationship between buying new/used and doing professional work.
    I think it is the ability to get a warranty on the new gear that would be attractive if you were running a business.