Filters for the Nikon 14-24mm lens

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
edited September 2013 in Other Manufacturers
Having seen the Fotodiox Wonderpane filter on NR. I purchased this adapter and lens filter. Very good service from the manufacture with delivery in less than 5 days from America to UK. First impressions were its big, results seem quite pleasing however tested it in not the best of conditions, certainly brings the greens out with good colour.More tests to follow in more pleasing conditions.

D3X with 135 Filter
Post edited by paulr on
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Please post some images from this combo. Which set did u get. the one with grad ND filter or the one with polarizer?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @adamz: I asked the same question on his Flickr account. Great minds think alike :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I just bought the Polariser circular Holder, wish I had bought the full system now, which enables you to use other filters and multi filters, The quality of the product is very good, in fact on the 14-24 lens it looks like part of the Lens. However be prepared to see some rather inquisitive looks from your fellow photographers!
    Goitstock Falls Harden Beck
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I have the Wonder Pana with Polarizer filter. As paulr said, be prepared for some inquisitive looks. I don't always use the polarizer filter but leave the holder on the lens. It does a great job protecting the bulbous element and the lens cap works much better than the original. I've been very happy with it so far.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Thanks for the inputs. I am in the midst of justifying to myself the (large) expense of the Fotodiox package, and was so far settled on the circular setup and POL filter only. However, now I am seriously thinking of buying the WonderPana 66 Essential kit http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/wonderpana-66-essentials-0-9se-kit-system-holder-lens-cap-6-6-x8-0-9-3-stop-soft-edge-graduated-neutral-density-filter-and-145mm-circular-polarizer-cpl-filter.html
    edited September 2013
    Well...I have been thinking about this filter system for some time now. But that has finally come to an end. I went ahead and purchased the basic kit for that includes the circular CPL and then I added the ND8 (3-stop) ND filter as well. I can always add the graduated ND filter system at a later time.

Looking forward in seeing what the results will turnout to be.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited September 2013
    Well I be a SOB. Look at what I just found. This new 360-degree filter is more to my liking. Will have to call them tomorrow and make a switch.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited September 2013
    I think I should not read these threads...LOL....

Just as an added piece of info...the 24mm f/3.5 PC Nikkor cannot handle any filters if one is to use it at full shift. And, this new system would be perfect for allowing the use of the full range of abilities of the PC and have the beauty of a polarizing filter or ND filters either full or graduated. Looks like another 5, C notes are going out the window....provided I can get them to manufacture one....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    At this stage of the game 5C notes is a walk in the park :P
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Having seen the Fotodiox Wonderpane filter on NR. I purchased this adapter and lens filter. Very good service from the manufacture with delivery in less than 5 days from America to UK. First impressions were its big, results seem quite pleasing however tested it in not the best of conditions, certainly brings the greens out with good colour.More tests to follow in more pleasing conditions.

Paul, I hope you don't mind me asking how did you do the shipping. On their website they are quoting over 100 US$
    Jürgen

D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
    Hi Jurgen, No problem I bought through Amazon and the postage cost was £21.70 USA to Uk It arrived very quickly but they did quote a possibly month for delivery, They gave a tracking no so i watched it's progress.
    They seem a very helpful company to deal with and the product is very well made. I would certainly recommend them and the product.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Hi Jurgen, No problem I bought through Amazon and the postage cost was £21.70 USA to Uk It arrived very quickly but they did quote a possibly month for delivery, They gave a tracking no so i watched it's progress.
    They seem a very helpful company to deal with and the product is very well made. I would certainly recommend them and the product.
    Alright, thanks Paul.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
    While I like the concept of the filter holder, they do not offer this at present for the 24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor. However, it may be one could create one themselves and use the 145mm filters. A polarizer would be awesome on the PC at full shift....
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    @Msmoto; why is it you say you can't use any filters on the 24mm PC-E at full shift? I mean, the 77mm UV and POL fit fine... albeit with significant vignetting. But, even without any filter there is a visible vignette at full shift.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Is there any noticeable issues with the Fotodiox Wonderpane...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    edited September 2013
    Msmoto, Fotodioz Do a 77mm to 145mm up ring so that you can use their circular filters, on your 77mm pro lenses, not sure if it would work with the PC lenses,. They do not do one for the Schneider PC lens, I asked 95mm Thread. For all techy stuff from Fotodiox contact Bryan Aviles, he seems to be their Grey Area man.
    Post edited by paulr on
    I think what is needed is a step up ring which attaches to the lens hood bayonet. Anything screwed into the 77mm front threads vignettes at full shift...even a Nikon thin filter....

I am looking at actually making an adapter which attaches to the HB-41 bayonet mount hood, which is 104mm at its rim, and round, without any petals.
    Msmoto, mod
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Did I misread the title of this thread or did it get hijacked?
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    A Tad Beso, However once you have purchased the filter for the 14-24 lens, Been able to use it on other lenses as to be a consideration in view of the cost factor. In the case of the circular filters appropriate up and down rings can be purchased allowing the 145 filter to become a universal filter, especially on the 77mm size which seems to be the pro common size.
    Got the WonderPana Kit in today and my first impression is very positive. The unit is very well build and light. For those that have concerns about the weight, given the combination of the 14-24 2.8 and body, let your minds be at ease.

I was hoping that they would have shipped me the FreeArc instead of the original non-360 moving unit, but luck was not on my side. They are offering the FreeArc for another....guess what...C-Note (@msmoto: LOL) for those that wish to have the ability to rotate their square filter 360 degrees.

Looking forward in putting this filter to use shortly....cheers to all :D
    Golf007sd Congratulations Now you need some waterfalls and lots of greenery, However with autumn coming on the Polariser will really bring the colours out, Me thinks you are going to be very busy.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    Just looked it up. Will get one too!!!!
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    Love the YouTube video.....
  • fjminorfjminor Posts: 40Member
    Thought I would wake this thread up from the past - looking for any updates from the members that purchased this system and their current thoughts now that they have had a few months to work with this wonderpana-66 system.
    Too much equipment, too little time.