Fake Photographer Scams Wedding Couples out of $140 K

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussions
This story caught my eye today where a man is accused of scamming 38 couples out of $140,000 for fees rendered and then not delivering the wedding photos. That works out to about 4k per wedding or so!

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2013/09/fake-photographer-scams-wedding-couples-140000

Comments

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    What a sleezeball. Stories like this are what drive me to protect my work as it is people like this who steal work to sell a client and scam them... I cant tell from the story if he "shot" the event or if he just took the money on hand...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes that's an interesting question, was he even a photographer? Did he actually shoot the weddings? I think he did but perhaps it was half-assed then simply ran off never delivering them. He was paid upfront for each scam as well. Its comforting to know that at least he was caught.
  • PickerelPickerel Posts: 154Member
    Stories like this make me think I could actually make it in professional photography, since I hear so many horror stories and even mediocre / somewhat disappointed stories and know I've done better for friends for free.
    Appalachian Trail class of 2013, Georgia to Maine
    Continuing adventures at shepherdadventures.wordpress.com