Coolpix A

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    did You already placed an order for the whole setup Tommie? :)

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Toooo....Funny, Adam.

I am waiting for the full frame, interchangeable lens model with a 50mm throat diameter and adapter for "F" mount lenses.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Saw this today - thought many would like to read it.

Nikon Coolpix A Review
    There's virtually no noise from the base sensitivity of ISO 100 all the way up to 3200, with the higher settings of 6400, 12,800 and even to a lesser extent 25,600 all perfectly usable for smaller prints - very impressive for any 1.5x sensor, never mind one housed in a compact camera. The sharp 28mm lens and the lack of an optical low-pass filter both help to offer stellar image quality.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Still waiting for my pre-order... not yet released in Canada. >:P
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    @Ade Where did you order from? Most of the big camera dealers in Canada are listing it as being in stock.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2013
    Henry's (the largest camera retailer here). They gave me a pre-order discount as I bought my D800E at the same time.

I just checked Vistek now and they're showing stock in Toronto... hmm! They're closed for the weekend maybe I'll pay them a visit Monday A.M. and see if they'll match Henry's discount. :)
    Post edited by Ade on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yeah, Henry's pre-order lists are kind of strange. The pre-order status will linger for days after they get shipments.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Toooo....Funny, Adam.

I am waiting for the full frame, interchangeable lens model with a 50mm throat diameter and adapter for "F" mount lenses.....
    +1: no interchangeable lens, even it they are not f-mount, then I have to ask myself why... For casual shooting and quick industrial shots I have the V1 and interchangeable lenses. I think I'll stand at the back of the X100s line instead...
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I've been shooting the Coolpix A for the past few days and am loving mine so far!!!

I'm still doing some test shoots to understand the camera better, but I have a professional event to cover Wednesday night and will surely bring it along with my D800e.

It's a sweet camera with beautiful IQ that fits in my pocket and works with all my existing Nikon accessories... I can't ask for more.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Sound like the coolpix A sensor has offset microlenses .. so it is really quite different from the D7000.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Heh, I'm thinking of the 'A' as the wide angle DX prime lens Nikon never built.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    edited April 2013
    Heh, I'm thinking of the 'A' as the wide angle DX prime lens Nikon never built.
    With an attached sensor! :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Its very nice ! Thanks for sharing that link :-) the lense seems exceptional !

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Now showing $999 at Future Shop/Best Buy in Canada.
    => $955 US, +5% to 15% sales tax.

Drop of roughly $100.
    I wonder if this is the start of a V1 type slide, where the price comes into line with the Ricoh GR (about $800).
    I wouldn't mind gambling on a Coolpix A at that price. The original $1100 (+15% tax for me) was something of a nonstarter where the Fuji is a proven product....

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have one and am bringing it to dinner tonight and leaving my D800 at home. It is on par with the Fuji and even better fits in all my shirt pockets (the Fuji won't even fit in my suit pockets) - if I don't need it to fit in my pocket I bring the D800.

The Coolpix A is the best camera on the market that fits in a pocket, the competition is not even close. I am hoping for a derivative with a 50 or 58mm focal length. I will buy that too.

However, I do anticipate that the price will come down. Sales seem a little soft.

Also, at the Future Shop I was in (Vancouver on Granville and Robson) they were sold out.
    Available online in both black and silver.

I try to never set foot inside an actual Future Shop store: sales people in my neck of the woods are so pushy, I find the experience very unpleasant.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I've been shooting the Coolpix A for the past few days and am loving mine so far!!!

I'm still doing some test shoots to understand the camera better, but I have a professional event to cover Wednesday night and will surely bring it along with my D800e.

It's a sweet camera with beautiful IQ that fits in my pocket and works with all my existing Nikon accessories... I can't ask for more.
    Very cool! Post some sample images!

If you want, you can probably post a guest review on the main blog. Just ask Admin.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Wow that post was from way back in April and since then I've posted Coolpix A shots on a couple threads here.

These days I use it mainly to take casual family pics and pairing it with an Eye-Fi Pro X2, but sometimes I still use it to supplement my D800e on assignments.

Street portrait, Chicago. ISO100, f/4.5, 1/640s.

Spec, Air Canada Jazz. ISO800, f/5.6, 1/10s.

Event, Dishcrawl Party. ISO400, f/5.6, 1/60s, SB-900.

Event, Shore Grill, Port Credit. ISO250, f/2.8, 1.50s.

Live Concert, Yuja Wang at Koerner Hall. ISO1000, f/3.5, 1/125s.

For a "point & shoot", it does quite a nice job. Many of the pics were taken in high ISO and all but one were handheld. For events, I love that I'm able to quickly take the SB-900 from my D800, slap it on the Coolpix A, and fire away with full TTL. I can't do that with any other point & shoots.
    Nice images. I'm now more confident than ever that it's a good camera, but I think your skill likely has more to do with the quality of this set than the Coolpix does.
    The Coolpix A is on sale at the Future Shop for $899.00 until December 19th.
  • BluesmanBluesman Posts: 1Member
    Hi,
    I'm new here having just bought a Coolpix A (I have a DF, P7800 and a bunch of other film SLRs going back to when Noah was a boy).
    I notice the exposure compensation doesn't show on the screen as you change the setting - - it only shows when you press the shutter release and even then, you have to keep pressing it to see the effect of ev comp.

This is very strange as you can't adjust ev on the fly so to speak.

I would appreciate any advice as this is very annoying.

The Coolpix A doesn't have an "Exposure Preview" function, so it will not show any exposure changes other than the aperture being applied in A or M modes.

Also missing: Live Histogram, and a quick way to toggle Auto ISO mode.

Put the camera in "M" mode and it will show in the lower right corner.

In other modes, the best you can do is press the "i" button while composing and you will see it provided there is compensation (it will be blank if there is none).

Nice camera you have bought. It is always with me when my D800 is not with me.

You should comment in the DF thread about it. That might be my next camera.
    Unfortunately what's in the lower right corner in M-mode is the meter, not the exposure compensation.

And I think Bluesman is asking if there's a way to preview the effects of exposure compensation, not just display the number -- i.e., to see the LCD screen getting lighter or darker as you change the compensation.