Third Party Flash/Speedlite for D3200

MarcusMarcus Posts: 7Member
edited November 2013 in D3x00
I own a D3200 and would appreciate advice or suggestions on what third party speedlites work well with the D3200. I should explain that I am novice/beginner so hopefully you will treat me as such.
I have been thinking about what would be needed for a small home studio and I have sort of decided on Yongnuo and would like to use the YN-622N as the wireless trigger? So which speedlite would best suit the D3200 and the suggested trigger?
As said I would appreciate advice as the more I read the more confused I become
Thanks in advance Marcus

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2013
    My recommendation would be the SB400 for using ON the D3200 as it is cheap, made by Nikon and pretty much all you need.

If your request for info on the trigger is because you want to do off camera flash, I can't help you as I have no experience of that trigger.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    My recommendation supports spraynpray. I bought the SB400 for my son and his wife to use with a D3100. It maybe small but the power is excellent and it beats that pop-up flash. Strongly recommended.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If you have already thought of the SB400 and decided it is not for you (and it isn't the best for off camera or a small home studio), then you are going to be looking at using third party flashes in manual mode. This opens up a whole plethora of flashes for you including the Yongnuo 'cheepy-but-goody' flashes. Your camera isn't CLS (Nikon Creative lighting System) compatible, so you may as well get those. If this all really takes off in your head and you end up on a gear spiral, you can still use those triggers with other bodies that do support CLS. I have only heard good things about the Yongnuo gear.

I saw some excellent bundles on Amazon.com of flashes and the YN-622N triggers.
    Always learning.
  • MarcusMarcus Posts: 7Member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the comments it is much appreciated. I don't really think that the SB-400, is for me whilst I accept that it is Nikon quality and a no brainer purchase? I Really think a third party and namely a Yongnuo flash is I what I will end up purchasing. I am undecided if I should start with TTL or manual with a Sekonic meter I guess the manual route may teach me more along the way?
    Post edited by Marcus on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The D3200 supports using a SB-700, 800, or 900 as a CLS commander. That is the route I would go. Any future upgrades/purchases to your body would be compatible as well.
    The D3200 supports using a SB-700, 800, or 900 as a CLS commander. That is the route I would go. Any future upgrades/purchases to your body would be compatible as well.
    It would be wonderful if I could afford to buy an SB-700s or better however for the cost of two I could purchase 3 third party speedlites and a meter.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    @Marcus, I agree with and can appreciate having a limited budget. Understandable completely.
    Also the suggestions for you, of purchasing a Nikon speedlight. +1

My first bright flash, which was bought or bartered from a friend, was not a Nikon,.
    No, but a "Vivitar Zoom thyristor 285 vari power". I still smile when I read that on the flash? Just as I wrote it here.
    You gotta love that thyristor name... Why no capital? & Where, do they come up with these names or stuff?
    Hehehe , thyristor!!
    It was sufficient, but took a lot of fiddling, with the various nobs and dials. Always Depending on your camera settings.

When I bought my Nikon Cool-Pix 995, (it cost me dang near that much too) I also purchased a nice enough flash.
    It was a Nikon SB-50 DX, which worked flawless for me, and my needs at the time.
    Fool and fail proof, as it still is today. You can read about that in this old review from 2001.
    http://www.bythom.com/sb50review.htm
    Practically a life time ago, for some of you younger folks on the forum.

So from my previous positive experience, I had no trouble on choosing the Nikon SB-910, speedlight, be it a little pricey. Yes, but I got mine for an incredible price of near $450.00 plus tax, worked out to around a cool hundred dollar saving from regular retail around my Northern town.

The build and electronics in these Nikon units is amazing, and not counting the over heating of an older SB-900, yes they work GREAT!!
    And that's obviously said in "Tony the Tiger's" voice, "GREAT" you remember him from Kellogs Corn Flakes??

Surely. which ever avenue you travel down to buy your speedlight, will be heading towards the correct destination for your goals. I just think going the Nikon path, will be easier and better off for you in the long run...

Please Let us know how it all go's thanks.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Hi Chas,
    What a thoughtful and interesting reply. I will indeed update the outcome as soon as I have worked out what it will be. The SB-910 I have looked at but here in the UK its about $500 at the moment and I have read reviews complaining about an under exposure issue?
    Marcus, you are most welcome.
    Nothing in this world will ever be exactly perfect, we know that from life experience.
    So you have to make the best with whatever you have, and work around the short comings.
    If the flash needs to be compensated, then so be it.

This is Nikon's flag ship speedlight, it don't get much better, unless you fork out bigger cash!
    Anyway, choose the equipment that treats you right, and is more than adequate for your present and near future needs.
    It's better to get more than you need, than less. But perhaps two speed lights will be all you need, not three.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Having had an extremely confusing time in research. I think it does in fact actually come down to a lot more than saving money right now! So the SB-910 it is! what has convinced me the very salient point about future needs. So when the day arrives that I get my D800 I know that it will be suitable for that? In addition I know it will work without issue has a decent warranty a legible manual and a resale value. Thanks Chas
    edited November 2013
    I love the swiveling head on these too, and the onboard menu is easier to navigate.
    Some people have voiced a complaint about the large canvas case these come in, opposed to the much smaller ones which were included with previous models. But there are filters and a sweet stand also in that case.
    This stand, makes off hotshoe use much more convenient, for those of us who don't own multitudes of equipment.

I'm quite positive you will appreciate your purchase long after the excitement of those inferior brands would have worn off.
    If that makes sense, then we are on the same thought. Good luck!
    I hope that you can get a Great bargain on the flash, and soon after, begin to take plenty of awesome pics using it.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.photographytalk.com/photography-equipment-reviews/1879-13-reasons-the-new-nikon-sb-910-speedlight-flash-is-worth-the-money

The only error I noticed here was this:
    "Kit also includes SJ-4 Color Filter set, with Warming, Red, Yellow and Blue filters"
    These are NOT included, but may be purchased separately.
    Post edited by ChasCS on

• clskeltonclskelton Posts: 31Member
    I have a D3200, two SB-700s and one SB-910. What I love about the SB-910 is Non-TTL Auto mode, which has no preflashes. It works great for fast blinkers (such as my dog) since the D3200 doesn't have FV Lock.

However, instead of getting one SB-910, you should consider getting two SB-700s because you could forgo TY-622N triggers and still get TTL if you kept one on camera. You'd then have the option to use both off camera in manual/SU-4 mode. When you get your D800 in the future, you could then use both off camera with TTL. Once you get a camera with commander built-in, then those triggers would become useless (given line of sight).

Regardless how you decide, you should get Eneloop AA batteries for your units and a smart charger.

FWIW - I bought my SB-700s off eBay for $260 each and SB-910 for $420 (which I thought was a steal) in April-June 2013 in new or near-new condition. I am in the US.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Hi Marcus, I asked a similar question here:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1816/recommendations-for-cheaper-3rd-party-flashes#Item_11

I have been looking at the YN-468 II any thoughts on that one?

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    SB910s are great - just too steep for me (since I'm trying to get to 6 speed lights total) so I use 2 Sb-900, Phottix Mitros (SB900 equiv) and a sb600 with Phottix Odin RF system. Nikon flashes are fantastic and you can't really get better than Sb 800/900/910 flashes. SB600 & SB700s are both good. I never can remember what they lack that I need, but I know they are short something that I remember for me to stay away from them. Probably something with HSS or CLS that they just don't do as well and probably something that many photogs will never use that I do.

At this time with 2 sb900s as a main and back up, I'm going to forgo the Nikon flashes and just get more Phottix Mitros flashes as 1) they work and have almost all the same options as the SB900, 2) about $250 cheaper than sb-910s, and are built really, really well. My "other" flashes I use for ambient/background/bounce fill lights or pack 3 into soft boxes. For those I want to be able to utilize HSS, and CLS and so far the Mitros is the only one that has had consistent positive reviews. Worth a look for much cheaper.

If you just want manual flash the LumoPro LP180 ($200) is getting high reviews from everyone. But again it is only a manual (non TTL, iTTL, CLS) flash. Same power as a sb900 flash. Right now I'm planning on getting one more Mitros and 2 LP180s.

Phottix is a company I keep buying stuff from. They really have good products and are not "cheap" but about 20-60% cheaper than "primary" brands and the build quality has been very good. I use the Odin system which also works with the Strato II receivers (trigger only) which is great since they are only $45 and I just set those flashes to manual (hence LP180s). All of it just works and that is all I ever care about.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    edited November 2013
    TaoTeJared,
    You are spending quite a lot on your lighting, which is awesome of course.
    Have you seen the incredible lighting systems from the folks at Profoto?

I'm particularly fond of this bad boy!! Yeah, the B1.
    http://profoto.com/int/products/battery-generators/b1-off-camera-flash
    Post edited by ChasCS on

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I'm going to give the 910 a try coming from a sb-800. Sb-800 is a gem. I use the energizer ultimate lithium batteries and they last a long time.
    SB910s are great - just too steep for me (since I'm trying to get to 6 speed lights total) so I use 2 Sb-900, Phottix Mitros (SB900 equiv) and a sb600 with Phottix Odin RF system. Nikon flashes are fantastic and you can't really get better than Sb 800/900/910 flashes. SB600 & SB700s are both good. I never can remember what they lack that I need, but I know they are short something that I remember for me to stay away from them. Probably something with HSS or CLS that they just don't do as well and probably something that many photogs will never use that I do.

At this time with 2 sb900s as a main and back up, I'm going to forgo the Nikon flashes and just get more Phottix Mitros flashes as 1) they work and have almost all the same options as the SB900, 2) about $250 cheaper than sb-910s, and are built really, really well. My "other" flashes I use for ambient/background/bounce fill lights or pack 3 into soft boxes. For those I want to be able to utilize HSS, and CLS and so far the Mitros is the only one that has had consistent positive reviews. Worth a look for much cheaper.

If you just want manual flash the LumoPro LP180 ($200) is getting high reviews from everyone. But again it is only a manual (non TTL, iTTL, CLS) flash. Same power as a sb900 flash. Right now I'm planning on getting one more Mitros and 2 LP180s.

Phottix is a company I keep buying stuff from. They really have good products and are not "cheap" but about 20-60% cheaper than "primary" brands and the build quality has been very good. I use the Odin system which also works with the Strato II receivers (trigger only) which is great since they are only $45 and I just set those flashes to manual (hence LP180s). All of it just works and that is all I ever care about.
    I am sorry to say that Phottix Mitros is not available in the UK! I am aware of the canon version and have been told that a Nikon is due is it available in the US?

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Vipmediastar said: I'm going to give the 910 a try coming from a sb-800. Sb-800 is a gem. I use the energizer ultimate lithium batteries and they last a long time.

I concur. I am always amazed at the life I get from Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. I have shot a large number of shots at our grand kids birthday parties. I just love my Sb-800.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    TaoTeJared,
    You are spending quite a lot on your lighting, which is awesome of course.
    Have you seen the incredible lighting systems from the folks at Profoto?

I'm particularly fond of this bad boy!! Yeah, the B1.
    I commented on another thread, I have seen the B1 and by all appearances it seems to be a big waste of money to me. I would rather have multiple sources than just one and $2,400 for that system is way too much for what it really is, a big speed light. Personally I would rather get a couple of Witstro AD360's rather than a B1. I know Profoto has good products, but they are ungodly expensive and the cost is too high for it's usefulness.
    I am sorry to say that Phottix Mitros is not available in the UK! I am aware of the canon version and have been told that a Nikon is due is it available in the US?
    I think you may have two Mitros versions combined in your mind. The Mitros I have does NOT have the radio built in (so I use a Odin with it or just normal CLS.) There is a second Mitros flash, with a built in RF, to be released for Nikon soon. The Odin system only handles 3 remotes (although you can have 2 flashes with identical settings - fun with 3 in an oct box to get some huge power shifts.)
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • docliftondoclifton Posts: 1Member
    Help from the group Please,

I was hoping someone here can help. I just upgraded from the Nikon N80 and the Nikon N8008 film cameras to the Nikon D3200. I have used the Quantaray QB-6500A with the NK base. I'd like to, at least for now, continue to use it as my flash. Can this flash be used with the D3200, what settings do I need to set on the flash and the camera?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2014
    @doclifton

Read page 175 of the D3200 instruction manual. This may help. If the manual which came with the flash says it will work with Nikon's CLS, it should be a go. It may be you just have to try it as the info available on the web is minimal. Others may have used this, however.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    edited January 2014
    Just thinking, if we're talking about a home studio setup, why not get strobes? A cheap 2-strobe setup with stands and umbrellas would run maybe $300-400 and you can trigger it with something like an SB-400 angled up set to super low. Fully manual, but tons of power and flexibility....

Oops, didn't notice the dates...old answer, not the new one.
    Post edited by KnockKnock on
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    Here is a cheap flash I have been keeping my eye on - It uses a Li-On Battery (rated 650 flashes) & GN(m ISO 100: 58(1/1 ZOOM 105mm). About $100. Wireless Trigger built for it, is generally $30 (receiver and transmitter.)

(crossed released - same flash)
    NEEWER® TT850 *LI-ION BATTERY
    Cheetah V850
    Godox V850 Ving Flash
  • GarryGarry Posts: 3Member
    Hi guys
    I'm new to photography so please bear with me.
    I bought a d3200 and recently started a corse on digital photography for beginners.
    I now need to buy a speed light and I don't know what to get to work well and wireless with my d3200.
    I do not want to spend a lot as I'm a beginner,but I would like to use it for portrait maybe with a cheap brolly
    Hope you can help
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    How much do you want to spend, Garry? The Nikon flash, SB-910 and less powerful are nice, but expensive. Bolt has some slightly les expensive units and there are others which are almost cheap… maybe price and quality. Watch and see what others might say.

As to an umbrella, a white one from a discount store may be fine, or spend a lot for a "photographer's" umbrella. You can also make you own umbrella like reflector from white cardboard.
    Msmoto, mod