My Out of warranty repair: Timeline and pricing 24-70 and d300s

realizedrealized Posts: 8Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
A lot of people ask about nikon timelines and out-of-warranty repairs.. here is what happened with me:

d300s flash failed, didn't work at all (as flash, commander, anything), 24-70 and d300s combo was spotty at best, misfocus a lot. sent in for those two things:

11/15 - FRIDAY - sent FEDEX via FEDEX
11/18 - MONDAY - AM shipping confirmation from FEDEX: NIKON RECEIVED
11/18 - MONDAY - at 10PM Estimate emailed to me - i Accepted - submitted CC online.
D300s: B2 Service Repair Rank B2 – Estimate $236.50
24-70: B2 Service Repair Rank B2 – Estimate $432.50
11/19 - TUESDAY - around 11PM status changed to "Shop - Approved on 11/18/2013" for both items
11/19 - TUESDAY - Bank Of America account shows two "Authorized" transactions for the amounts above.
11/20 - HUMP DAY! - status changed to "Billing - Approved on 11/18/2013" for both items
11/21 - shipped
11/22 - arrived !!!!!!!!!!!

What was done (according to invoice)

24-70:

rpr zooming mechanism
rpr focusing mechanism
rpl helicoid
rpl cam ring
rpl bayonet mount
rpl rubber ring
adj auto focus operation
adj resolution test
general check & clean

D300s:
rpr flash operation
rpl pop-up flash
rpl flash pcb
grip cover adj auto focus operation
ckd image test
cln image sensor
firmware upgrade
check & clean

at work now, haven't tested yet - but very excited!
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Great turn around time from Nikon service. Thanks for sharing.

My D300 service took 3-1/2 weeks from shipment to receipt.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Indeed goo repair times. I think the availability of parts has a lot to do with how long they take.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @realized

Welcome to NRF. Oh, I fixed the thread title so as to make it more specific. A lot of D300s users are waiting for the mysterious D400 and may be very interested in the repair issues. Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    If I knew repairing the flash would cost that much I think I might have left it broken and bought a SB700 instead.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Part of that cost was for general cleaning and adjustment that would be done regardless of the flash.
  • realizedrealized Posts: 8Member
    edited November 2013
    So took the camera out today - i think focus is spot on now with the D300s+24-70 combo!! very excited.

regarding the flash, i went back and forth with that in my head. i fixed it for a few three main reasons:

1) if i sell the camera, i want it 100% fixed - flash would be a big problem for most people buying (haven't decided if im ready to sell it just yet.. since today when i took the camera out it was spot on perfect focus!)
    2) i have two nikon flashes that i use off camera - with a broken flash i didn't have CLS and as such - one flash would need to be a commander - so now this gives me the ability to use both flashes once again!
    3) if i buy another flash - i'd rather use it off camera then on camera as CLS commander =)

the only point i see to the on camera flash is as a commander. and that was worth the $$$ though as pointed out earlier, cleaning, and adjustment was also included in that price..

i should also point out that the "estimate" was in fact the final pricing.. which is funny - they priced it before even looking at it?!?!?! either way i'm a happy camper today. it was worth it
    Post edited by realized on