D7000 Problems

rctneilrctneil Posts: 39Member
edited January 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Got a D7000 for Christmas! Really like using it but not 100% if it is working right. Every now and again it seems to go into this sort of mode where I have observed the following things:

- If I slightly tilt the device forwards/backwards the mirror (or what I think is the mirror) flips back and forth freely (or what sounds like freely)

- The Info, Menu or playback buttons don't do anything

- Pressing the live view lever seems to get a grasp on the mirror but doesn't always repair the issue.

Most of the time I have to power off and on to restore normal functionality.

I can't seem to figure out what causes this to happen. Maybe it's normal or maybe it;s not but i'm not sure.

I would appreciate anyone to be able to shed some light into this strange occurrence.

Thanks
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome rctneil,

There was a thread on the old forum recently I recall about a clacking sound from the camera when shaken gently but there was no mention of it not working in any way while this happened - it sounds like you need to give Nikon a call to discuss returning it for warranty service.
    Always learning.
  • rctneilrctneil Posts: 39Member
    ok, So just to clarify, From what I have written, it is not some form of feature I have not come across yet?

It just happens periodicaly, can;t force it to happen. Normally a flip to live view and power down makes it resolve itself
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @rctneil take the lens off and try to see if you can make the same symptoms to occur. If it does, then make sure you have a full charge, and flip the mirror up and see if you see anything loose inside the body. What else do you have connected to the camera? If you see nothing then, I would try a different lens and see if it happens again. If so, then by all means call Nikon and see what they have to say.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    No mate, it is not any feature I know of! My money would be on it having had a bump before you got it.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I this a new D7000? And even if it is, find the Exif data on a shot and make certain it is new. As mentioned, battery needs to be fully charged. Read the manual and make certain you do not do any changing of lenses, cards, when the power is on.

And thanks, you have started the official D7000 problems thread. I edited the title so all the D7000 issues can find their way here.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    It was purchased from John Lewis this previous December so it should be brand new! What should I be looking for in the EXIF data? and no, I don't do any of those things and yes the battery is fully charged.
    I think in the Exif data it will have an Image number and this tells you the total clicks on the shutter. From this, if it has more shots recorded than you think you have put on it, there may be another issue.

On page 151 of your manual is the two button reset. You might try this to bring all the controls back to the factory default settings.

The see if it continues to act up. If so, look at p299 and see if any of that helps. If not, then I think if it has been occurring since you purchased it, i would see if the dealer will replace it.
    Msmoto, mod
    Just got a direct replacement from John Lewis. Not opened it yet but will give it a go asap. Thanks for the help guys.
  • GhostRider117GhostRider117 Posts: 29Member
    edited January 2013
    It was purchased from John Lewis this previous December so it should be brand new! What should I be looking for in the EXIF data? and no, I don't do any of those things and yes the battery is fully charged.
    Regular software usually doesn't show number of pictures taken. Grab something free, in the likes of PhotoME, or use on of the numerous web-based "clic counters". Google "nikon shutter count", you'll find what you need ;)

Based on the symptoms, I would agree with spraynpray, I would suspect it has taken a solid knock... but anyway, you got a new one, now ;)
    Post edited by GhostRider117 on
    We will do our D7000 problem solving here on this thread
    Msmoto, mod
  • gauravdgauravd Posts: 16Member
    The OK button on D7000 is not working. Is there a way around it? Dont want to in for repairs right now.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    As GhostRider117 already said/guessed: The OK button of the MB-D11 will do the same as the camera's. As long as it's the camera's ok Button, which is shortened or broken and nothing else. If you don't have that grip and are not planning to get one, than you have to send it in. If you don't believe me, your question might be better placed at Nikon service point.
    If one is gutsy, a small drop of contact cleaner into the OK button might clean up a corroded contact enough to make it work. I would do this only with a great deal of caution.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    Hang on - aren't hose buttons supposedly weather sealed? A contact cleaner that would clean contacts might damage the plastics....
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Well it seems they are not weather sealed!!!! For now I have removed the battery and hope it might work when put in back after say 24 hours.

I have tried canned air , did not help.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The weather seals are only effective if you aren't pressing the button. When you press the button you invite moisture in.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    any ideas on a fix?
    If, the button needs to be replaced...that is the contact cleaner time.... not sooner. And, this has worked on other electrical switch issues for me, but is only effective if the issue is minimal. If it works, it saves some inconvenience. If not... oh well.....
    Msmoto, mod
    Any specific contact cleaner? and how much of it needs to be used.
    I use one from years ago which we used to clean rotary TV channel dials...Radio Shack still has TV Tuner Cleaner. And the amount....a drop from a toothpick is what I would try...only enough to see it go into the button. Then with the battery removed from eh camera...push the button about fifty times and see if you can get the cleaner worked in. What may happen is a piece of dirt may be dislodged from the contact area and the contact may begin to work once more. I would try this and if it does not work the first time....maybe one more trial. I have used this to clean old stereo remote controls and it seems to work.
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    to @PB_PM's point, you may want to activate (push) the button while applying the smallest drop of solvent in order to try and get past the weather seal. Sounds like you are going to eventually need to send it in. This is where a backup/second body becomes very useful. I'd consider a used/refurb'd D90 as a backup. You could always sell it again after you get your D7000 back and recoup like 90% of the cost.
    Ironheart, are you suggesting I should not try applying the Contact Cleaner at all.. or you are saying if I do apply it will harm the weather seal.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No, what Ironheart is saying is that if you want the cleaner to work you'll have to mash the button a few times to get it past the weather seals.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @gauravd if you have any reservation about this procedure by all mean don't do anything, just send it in to Nikon and have them fix it for you. Your down time could easily be fixed by renting a body.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @gauravd: Golf's right. I can't help myself, I have to say this - just send it for repair. If you need it for work, hire something or buy a spare. If it for fun, sooner you send it in, sooner it will be back. If you are trying to save a few bucks (nothing wrong with that in principle), it could cost you more as liquids capillary around and you don't know for sure where it will end up.
    Always learning.