I'm new to this. Nikon D5200?

2»

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @ tc88
    Good point. I shoot a prime often. The only way I know how to learn a lens is to shoot with its limitations. And if we simply zoom to get the framing we want, we miss out on seeing what a prime does by moving in and out. One must remember some of us started in a day when there were no zoom lenses. Our experience is here for those who want it.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    No zoom lenses, no in-camera meter and definitely not even aperture priority - manual all the way!
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I had an 18-105 and found it was a very sharp lens. And, the extra reach is always nice. Spraynpray is more of an advanced photographer and beginners might want to utilize some of the more automatic functions at first.
    Msmoto, mod
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I got the 18-55 with my D5100 kit and you can take some nice shots with it. I certainly would have considered getting the 18-105 had I known about it at the time. Take lots of photos at different conditions to learn about using the camera and the limitations of the lens. Read lots of different material about your camera; there are plenty of good info spots on the web. Read the manual. Learn about you camera settings.

If you want to use flash, read up on the flash features and limitations of your camera. For example, you have to watch your ISO range if you want to use Auto-ISO with the D5100 (D5200 too?) and a hotshoe flash. AutoISO and a large range can get you flash shots at higher ISO (and more noise) than you planned on. Again, take lots of shots and learn about the best way to set the camera for you and how you are going to use it. There's little downside with digital - just throw away (delete) the ones you don't want.

I like to keep many of my bad ones, however, as reminders (warnings!!).

Have fun shooting.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    oh, and I would just go ahead and get the 35mm 1.8. It's cheap as lenses go. Google for the lens reviews on it.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]