Nikon Video

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited June 2013 in Videos, Nikon et. al.
New category for those who want to post a video, (embed) and have it critiqued by those of us who are waiting......
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just a reminder you are welcome to post a video in this thread and we will be happy to comment... :((
    Msmoto, mod
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Thanks Msmoto. Video is a new adventure for me but I find it to be a lot of fun. Big learning curve but it opens up a whole new avenue of creativity. I'll post some of my results here soon. I have one video that has clips from my D800 and D4 with additional footage from a small video camera and GoPro. Hope others will weigh in with their experiences as well. It's time to show the capabilities of Nikon vs all the rave about Canon's 5d.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Nikon is having a video contest where you can win up to 18k in gear. The deadline is this month.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    I bought the Nikon ME-1 mic, with good intentions of using it for video recording, but it's just been too shite out of doors,
    For me to venture out to the wilds and wholly forests.

The silent but steady, sparkles of snow floaty falling, just doesn't justify my full attention.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

@ChasCS, I bought the Nikon ME-1 also. It's not much better than the camera mic. Now it sits on a shelf. I've since invested in a Rode NTG-2. I'll say it's much better but, now I have run a boom. Hard to do as a one man operation. However, my Sony wireless Lav mic is working out very well. I've had no problems with it and the sound is so much better. Not great, but very good. When I thought about playing with video I had no idea there would be an equal (if not more) $ investment in audio gear. Oh well, I'm in the water now hence this thread to share our successes and failures to help each other.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited December 2013
    I suppose I can always edit and add to the audio after the fact too, as stated earlier.
    Basic editing "Tech-know-logy" today, is so much easier to afford and learn to utlize fairly efficiently.
    There are many useful tools at our disposal now a days.
    I am the lucky owner of an incredible Yamaha Motif XF8 music workstation as well.

We could always do that sound edit before, in a much more simplified way using our "Windows" software. Smile
    Look at some of the early videos on YouTube...

Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited March 2014
    This was shot in the Gulf Hotel Bahrain.
    D7000+N18-200VRII @ 720p 30f/s. In-camera mic. Your thoughts?

image" />
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Excellent low light results Dredden85,
    Video has been very slow on NR, it seems to be a dirty word that still Photographers look down on, as if it not the accepted thing to do with cameras. I come from both a still and Video background and welcomed camera manufactures introduction to DSLRs. It is a skill with substantial PP sometimes needed. Vimeo and YouTube have brought Video on, however this seems to be amateur teaching or selling productions. Perhaps the problem for serious DSLR video would be's, Is the add on's that are needed to bring acceptable results.It seems the word "Video" automatically ups the price.There are some interesting add on's entering the market, at acceptable prices so maybe still photographers might be tempted.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    imagevideo
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited March 2014
    Wow what a set you got there! :-O
    Thank you for the comments. I do not recall what the ISO was.
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
    Dredden85 On the D4 on auto it is 200-12800 ISO Early testing shows the Ninja Blade gives excellent results in PRO Res 422 HQ without the 30 minute limitation. Being able to use The various filming aids built into the Ninja Blade system helps with exposure and focus.
    I am now using the Ninja Blade but found that when using the Monitor for external use in bright sunlight, it was difficult to see the screen and hence hard to maintain good focus when in manual focus mode.
    So here's the Answer try this link

http://www.gridaccessories.com/grid-5-0-viewfinder/
  • LkyLky Posts: 8Member
    edited June 2014
    The Blade is very good, I would also suggest SmallHD as an option, Their OLED screen really shines, good histogram etc.

http://www.smallhd.com/

A second larger screen is always handy! Nice rig! Schneider! ;D
    Post edited by Lky on
    edited June 2014
    Just finished a short on the all powerful D800, Its low light capabilities well utilized by fast lenses we were able to shoot ISO 400-1600 at 1/25. Zeiss 50 1.4, 135 f2, & 15 2.8. We brought lights but after checking the macbeth chart decided to use the overhead halogens as support, which toned warmer, but we easily took care of the white balance in primary CC. The added Bokeh is the 135's thing of beauty against the FDR highway here in NYC, it was then tracked to the background in Mocha AE, all of the post was done in After Effects, about 70 hrs without render time, over 500 layers. The Sea Change is a Hemingway Story I always carried with me growing up, I attempted to bridge time with a dark color Noir look and score and a New wave "into the camera" direction. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Post edited by Lky on
    Nice. I liked the bokeh.
    As far as Post why did you choose AE over other video editing apps from adobe like premier.

Props to you video people spending all the time in POST.
    I haven't done much video but it looks like alot of work goes into a short video like yours.
    I declined a music video production for the lack of experience filming/producing etc but I will attend its production this weekend to get an insight on it.

edited June 2014
    Thanks! The footage was first edited in premiere for the cuts and pacing, then brought over into AE for CC, Masking/layering and other effects. The audio was another complicated side of the production and was organized within Premiere alongside the edit. The titles were precomped in Photoshop, then brought into AE and developed into motion layers. One of the benefits of the Adobe lineup is they are all pretty interconnected. Everything was output from AE then compressed in Adobe Media Encoder to Prores LT which is the highest Q codec Vimeo and Youtube now accepts.

Have fun on the production, experience is cumulative and nothing beats being there ;D
    Post edited by Lky on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Great job Lky! You can tell there was much care put into the production. The "into the camera" style was a bit startling the first time, but by the end was part of the flow. The sounds/lights of the FDR drive brought back my memories of growing up in NYC. Definitely a "NY state of mind" as BIlly Joel would say. Hemingway meets the lower east side...
    edited September 2014
    Having Lost my notes on one of my iOS apps I did a google search and found a nice tutorial from NikonUsa found here

From shooting a point and shoot film camera until I bought my first DSLR i was doing Video on a Digital 8 camcorder. Now It's time to explore that video side again.

Well today I'm going to do a test video with my wife applying makeup to a volunteer. Currently I have the Camera/Lens (I'm thinking of using the sigma 35 or 50 art), tripod, Rode VideoMic. Later in the week I will have a Generay Led on camera light. For now I bought some Energizer Led Lanterns and they are great for when the power goes out and I will use them today as a test. I did try using them as continous lights for stills previously.

The only thing I'm not looking forward is the editing. Plus my wife wants to "talk" after the editing is done not during the makeup. Which I can understand. Let see how it goes.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    Looking forward to your video. I bought a couple of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/904852-REG/impact_frc_22_ready_cool_22_fluorescent.html and they work ok. I found putting a shoot-thru umbrella in front helps diffuse the light. I know what you mean with the editing. I'm still battling with Premiere Pro.
    @Lky love your video. The sound is great and love the effects! Great job!
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2014
    Several current Nikons are able to do very nice video work. Editing them is a lot of work, etc. I will NEVER buy another camera WITHOUT video on board! Sure looking forward to seeing what the D750 turns out like. In terms of posting our videos here I am going to just say we have been posting videos on the Internet for several years with many thousands of hits so I am just going to state we already now how these have been received by others. But this is a great thread and may serve Nikon Rumors people very well.

We competed in the Rode contest and got an award but not the top prize. The onboard sound is pretty useful for what it is but if you are really serious you WILL need to use a aftermarket sound recording system if you are doing much with it. Good luck to all of you! I think the D750 to be announced Sept. 11th will be very action still and video oriented which should sell VERY well. We are using several other camera systems in addition to the Nikon DSLRs. Canon pros told us on a big photo weekend that they are thinking seriously about switching to Nikon. Considering the lens they had that would cost them a fortune.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    We did our sample video yesterday. The energizer lamps where handy but not powerful but for stills it looks ok.
    I need to make a check list.
    I forgot about WB and changing the Picture control.

I tried the Zoom H4N and I liked it but I wasn't too sure I wanted to keep it for the low amount of videos that I do. It is impressive. Maybe I'll try one of the two new models from Zoom if these makeup videos kick off.
    I probably won't edit this video maybe a quick edit with my wife speaking after the small edits have been done. If she is up for the editing maybe that can be her role in this.

• ErikssonRobinErikssonRobin Posts: 28Member
    We just shot a short video using a Nikon D810, Canon 550D, GoPro 3 and 4.

It's about a bank robbery. And blood does occur. So I assume the video is NSFW.
    Bank Robbery
    Robin Eriksson
    Nikon D810 • Nikkor 24mm 1.4G • Nikkor 105 2.8 Macro • SB-700 • Gitzo 5562 LTS
    Who's shooting video with a D7100. My stepson is looking for a dslr to primarily shoot video. I know he would like to go straight to full frame but just can't afford that right now. To many other accessories for video to purchase as well. He has looked at Canon (because all the cool kids use canon) but really likes my Nikon cameras. So any real world experience with the D7100 is appreciated. I'll be sure to pass it on. Thanks
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have used the video on my D7100 twice. Results outdoors were excellent and better than expected. I shot parts of a wedding reception indoors under terrible lighting conditions and was really surprised with the nice results. Do recommend a monopod or tripod for smoother panning.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |