Buy D7100 or D610 for Real Estate?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Don't know about area 51, but we do refer to Canada as the 51st state :P

You are incorrect about the TCCA rules regarding commercial use of UAVs::
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-brochures-uav-2270.htm#how
    You need a thing called a Special Flight Operations Certificate(SFOC) if you are using it to make money (real estate being the topic). So much for that freedom :-(
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Don't know about area 51, but we do refer to Canada as the 51st state :P
    Don't even go down the road. The last thing I'd want as a Canadian is to be mistaken for an American.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Hey, I resemble that remark, but I'm really a Californian, and most of the rest of the states consider us to be a different country anyway :-)

Back on topic, I find the 10-24 with a DX body to be the best for indoor shots. Sometimes you need that extra mm. Just be careful to keep the camera level, or you can get some wicked distortion at the wide end.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I had the opportunity to use the 10-24 on a D7100 last Friday. Had a lot of fun with that lens. Then the Nikon rep dropped it on a D800 and said some wedding photographers have done this for the look/style.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    If you are using aerial drones (unmaned aircraft system, or UAS) for any commercial use (like real estate photography) you are in violation of FAA rules in the USA, unless you receive special training and your aircraft receives an air worthiness certificate, which can take up to a year
    It's worse… if you read the FAQ carefully it actually says that there's currently no way to obtain authorization for commercial operations in the US! That's because the rules governing commercial UAS operations won't be in place until 2015, assuming the FAA sticks to its plan to open the draft rules for public comment next year.

In Canada, the rules governing commercial drones were already in place since 2010 through the Special Flight Operations Certificate process, which is now routinely being granted (free of charge) as long as certain safety conditions are met.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    LOL.
    I want a D400.

The D610 is overkill, I know.

I like the features of the D610.

Really, seriously, is the D400 coming? Will it have better video?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    If you're going to shoot primarily indoor architecture and print the images under say 20" x 30", the D7100 and the 10-24 (or even the 12-24) are more than enough camera. You could go with a D610, but an ultra-wide lens for FX will cost you far more.
    As for waiting for a D400, you could be waiting anywhere from 2 months to forever. I'm guessing that a D400 (should it ever be produced) will provide a faster frame rate and a more robust buffer than the D7100, neither of which should matter to someone shooting indoor architecture.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It's make your mind up time. Hint: D7100 and 10-24.
    Always learning.
    The OP already said that they picked the D610 on the last page... "Thanks for all of your advice! Going with the D610!"
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    If he really wants the D610. the 10-24 can be used on it in dx crop mode ;-) it will have more than enough MP in DX mode for what he wants to do with it. some say that, even in Full FX mode, it provides an interesting image. but I would say stay in DX crop mode.. ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@PB_PM: Look a couple of posts up - he's yinging and yanging over the D400 now /:)
    Always learning.
    I don't know why anyone would get hung up over a camera, that for all intensive purposes, doesn't exist.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    We have a thread with over 1,700 comments.
    edited December 2013
    Learn something every time I log on. Besides, my next new listing starts February 1st, so, I have time. Just wanted to take advantage of the rebates. ( like you told me too)
    Camera shop, Best Buy and picture takers all "feel like" a D400 is Coming Soon) Figured nothing wrong with waiting. Already invested in Nikon now! Ordered the 910 flash and a tripod/ballhead kit. Watching videos on YouTube about wide lenses, how to use the D7100 and D610, AND listening to all of you!!
    Have to buy something......SOON!!
    Honestly, I'm nearly positive it will be the D610........decided to wait for Nikon's Announcements in January, hoping they will be coming out with a D400, I JUST WISHFUL THINKING Right?!?!?!???!!!!!!! From what the "Rumors" say, I do think it's the Baby for me! What's another month?? Like everyone else, I'm sure I'm going to be HOT that I waited when NO D400 shows up in January!!!
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
    We have a thread with over 1,700 comments.
    Yeah, think I read all of them. LOL.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2013
    Don't forget there is another large batch of comments from the old forum as well. It's really pointless waiting. Both the d7100 and d610 won't be replaced soon if you still want to wait for the 400 get a "holding" camera like the d5200 or d3200.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

February is the blink of an eye in comparison to how soon the D400 will arrive. Unless you mean 2015, then you have a chance....
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    @ Ironheart: Having played a role in government aerial photography I do know what the laws are and what is ethical, and not. Since the aerial photography I do is for farm use it is legal.....period. NOAA is making significant use of many forms of air and spacecraft to establish baselines and make management suggestions. The primary use is to get the big picture on plant succession. We used it in SE Asia to assess impact of Agent Orange (it was pretty rough and not effective to accomplish the US military goals). To ChasCS: Hi there! I know you are a good guy and I do enjoy your posts! Wildlife rarely pay much attention to farm tractors let alone a small drone. On the other hand I have seen some fairly big animals run like crazy in Alaska when a float plane or helicopter goes overhead.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Hi DaveyJ,
    Being a big game hunter with stick and string, I'm well aware of how 'farm animals' react in their own back yards.
    In the wilds and farm fields, deer and many other big and small game become familiar with the regular goings on of tractor and combine noises, and of Farmer Brown and feel secure enough to carry on! Continue about, in their daily routines.

There is a funny law in natural nature though, it's called the 'carrying capacity' of the land.
    So animals tend to Stay in a very small area , at least in the bigger picture of our eyes, throughout their whole lives.
    Ah, if not pushed....

So, unless you are doing something out of 'their ordinary', they remain relatively at ease. To "pay attention" no.
    I'm referring to deliberate acts of terrorizing wild animals with any motorized or powered craft. That's all.

Have you ever been to the famous San Diego Zoo? Sign reads:

PLEASE DO NOT
    ANNOY, TORMENT, PESTER, PLAGUE, MOLEST, WORRY, BADGER, HARRY, HARASS, HECKLE, PERSECUTE, IRK, BULLYRAG, VEX, DISQUIET, GRATE, BESET, BOTHER, TEASE, NETTLE, TANTALUZE, OR RUFFLE THE ANIMALS

And that goes for me too!! J/K

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Hi there! To ChasCS: I have never been to the San Diego Zoo although my best friend travel agent says we must go sometime. I know they have a herd of Cape Buffalo which will not tolerate jostling without retaliating! To the point that Disney Animal Kingdom in Orlando decided they did not dare get them at that park because of their intolerant manners. Zane Gray's Buffalo Jones book also said they had experience with Plains Bison being ornery. We had them at Miner Center in NY (upstate) and they regularly turned over vehicles if they were in to fix fences. True wilderness animals we RARELY encounter today.

Back to the topic it seems Spraynpray and Msmoto's suggestion (and mine) about a D7100 and the 10-24 DX Nikkor looks about right. But I am hoping the D610 does go onto becoming a very successful camera.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    It's also known as The San Diego Wild Animal Park...

There are plenty of wild bison, just East, outside the city. Elk Island Park...
    I recall one day, driving out to take pictures. We decided to enter the exit route to be different.
    We saw a group in an opening through the trees, and I decided to get out and walk closer, into the field.
    To take a better picture, you know?
    I had no knowledge of how they protect the young calves, but they looked so cute.
    And I had to get closer, for a great close up...
    The mother was ready to charge me, she had put her head down and I knew it was time for me to leave.
    I always remember reading the sign near the entrance as we drove out. It read in part,
    These animals are wild, and can be aggressive if excited.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited December 2013
    Since we're talking about cameras for real estate photography (originally), I wanted to give you a link to some photographers that you can ask:
    http://www.terriblerealestateagentphotos.com
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Benji oh wow. I can't stop. LOL.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    @ Benji - a dangerous link, that. =))
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]