Buy D7100 or D610 for Real Estate?

Comments

• PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    I agree!!!

Yuck!

In my office, I'm known for making any home look like a Beauty!!!

In our MLS system (real estate site to submit all of our listings), they allow up to 25 photos. At times, I've only submitted 12-15 photos!! If the house only has 3 or 4 "Nice" rooms, I show them off and leave the "messy rooms" out. That's better then submitting 25 and the last 10 loses a Buyer for you. Usually, once they get there, they fall in love and are glad the messy (ugly) rooms never made it on the site.

You know why? They always began to show their friends the listing before they submit an offer!! ;)
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I am reading this thread for the first time and am surprised that no one has mentioned the PC-E NIKKOR
    24mm f/3.5D ED which is designed with certain photographers in mind, particularly architecture photographers.

This lens is on my list but before I decide to buy it I will see how far I can get with my 14-24 2.8 with a tripod and stopped down for maximum depth of field. HDR are also presents other options.

And of course I would recommend FX as architecture often needs wide angles.
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. Going to look up that lens now.
    What an awesome site for newbies!!! I'm learning so much!!!
    Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming, but, over all, I'm having fun learning all about which camera will work best for my business and great techniques to get the Best photos!
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
    If I may offer a suggestion. Often you need to think about "which lens" you need. The camera is merely an accessory that you bolt on to the lens to make the lens work.

I think many here would adamantly argue this point but that is the perspective through which photography makes sense to me. I would encourage you to think that way and see if there are any fresh insights revealed to you.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The only problem with the 24mm TS lens is that it isn't very wide, even on FX. You might need to do some photo stitching to photograph larger spaces.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Also these days with Photoshop/Lightroom/DxO perspective + focus stacking tools, having a TS lens is less of a necessity than before.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, that lens won't work for me. The 10-24 (that a couple of you suggested) is the one I'm going to order. I think it's the best wide angle for real estate photos.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks for sharing the link. Got a good laugh from them. =D>
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Yeah, that lens won't work for me. The 10-24 (that a couple of you suggested) is the one I'm going to order. I think it's the best wide angle for real estate photos.
    That is OK, I am not sure that it is for me too. I can probably figure out how to get 90% of the way there with my 14-24.
    Have to learn more about stitching before I can use that one....
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2013
    @jshickele

Re: How wide? This is a "real estate" shot at 16mm on full frame:

House For Sale

Note: This is not an architectural shot, but instead is intended to show the relationship of the glass, sunshine, and overall layout. In architectural shots a general rule is to avoid the distortion of a rectangular wall,i.e., do not have the film plane anything but parallel to the opposite wall in a three wall shot.

To do this on DX would require about 10-12mm focal length.

Also, a 16mm PC lens would, IMO, be extremely expensive and have most likely issues with the throat diameter of the "F" mount which would limit its shift capabilities. This must be why we have view cameras…...LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    There is a professional architectural photographer in my building that shoots several Canon Tilt Shift lens, including the 17mm, on a 5D, a MkII I think. I will pick his brain the next chance I get.

I have several items on my bucket list ahead of this one and I have the 14-24. So I am in no hurry.
    edited December 2013
    Wow!!! Great Shot!!! If I'm using the D7100, which lens would get me this shot???
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    10-24 @10mm. The gear we have been saying you need from the beginning.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2013
    That's a FX lens? Can only find DX with that format: 10-24 10mm.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2013
    lol !! you are still so confused .. your confusion is infectious.. and i am really getting confused as to how best to help you... ... as my wise Indian friend used to say .. "Confucius say .. do not be confused..."
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That's a FX lens? Can only find DX with that format: 10-24 10mm.
    FX wide angle zoom lenses are the 14-24mm F2.8, 16-35mm F4 VR and the 17-35mm F2.8D.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited December 2013
    @PaRealtor

FYI, my shot above was done with the 16-35mm F4 VR on a D4 at 16mm. Same results would be with a D610 or D800, but on a DX crop sensor, (D7100) the shot would be done with a 10-24mm, most likely about 10mm or 11mm setting.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2013
    You're so right! I was truly confused!! Thanks for clarifying Msmoto & PM_PM.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You multiply the DX focal length by 1.5 to get the FX equivalent.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2013

This is a "real estate" shot at 16mm on full frame:.......
    Note: This is not an architectural shot, but instead is intended to show the relationship of the glass, sunshine, and overall layout.
    and IMHO it does so exceedingly well
    note the detail in the shadows and the highlights and the carful, balanced, lighting in the kitchen

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    @sevencrossing

Thank you…. check is in the mail… LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2013
    Rented the D7100. Will rent the D610 next week
    Really want a D400!
    If it doesn't happened in January, will go with the D7100. It's enough for real estate.
    (Now watch I change that after trying the D610 next week!!!).
    Dan at the camera shop agreed with you, unless I need a life size picture of a house, even the D7100 is over kill.
    Tried to get me to buy a D5200/5300. He had plenty!!

I told him, I want a D400!
    He said, dream about it, it may appear in 2015!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Why don't you share with us your business case or even your technical reason to go for the (yet to be even rumoured) D400? If you can do that, we can get behind you, but at the moment it seems you have little idea of what any of them can do or even what you even really need to get the job done.

Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2013
    Why don't you share with us your business case or even your technical reason to go for the (yet to be even rumoured) D400?
    +1
    I am intrigued why people want, or continually recommend, a camera that does not exist,
    over models, that not only exist, are readily available, are tried and tested and continually get excellent reviews
    Post edited by sevencrossing on