Which Camera Do I Pick - the D7000 or the D7100

claireblackerclaireblacker Posts: 1Member
edited December 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hey - So I am planning on getting a new camera. I currently have the D70 - it is old, heavy and getting very outdated. I am currently taking A-Level photography, I have had an interest in the topic for a few years. I am planning on taking it on further in life. My Mum being an ex schools photographer and my Dad having a personal interest - the camera will get a lot of use.
For reasons to do with the lens motor? I have come down to the choice of picking either the Nikon D7000 OR for an extra £200 GBP (About 400$) for the D7100.
I have looked at reviews - most say there is a noticeable update and difference. However the key question is the WORTH it. Both cameras will be bought from new from the same place - so in that factor there is no difference.
The price difference is a lot, I just want to know if the money is worth it.
Thanks

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Since you intend to use the camera long term, at this point I think you should go for the D7100. It is a newer camera with some modest improvements that make it a better buy for a long term user.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ronaldleeronaldlee Posts: 4Member
    It depends on one thing in my opinion. What do you want to shoot and how do you want to shoot it. If fast frame rate is important AND you shoot in RAW (suggested), then you do not want the D7100, you want the D7000.

I love the D7000, its a great camera. I did consider getting the D7100 as IT IS sharper (no anti-aliasing filter), however the buffer is way to small for me, so after three shots in a row.... I'm waiting for a few seconds for the files to write to the SD card so I can shoot again. That doesn't work for me. I shoot people (fashion, models, and still life. Ok for still life, but not for people the way I do it).
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,338Member
    I like both. I bought a D7000 early last year, and just picked up a D7100. The 7100 has 50% more MP, so you have to account for larger file sizes and storage. I'm quite happy with the D7000 images I've taken to date, and the relative handful of D7100 images I have so far look pretty nice too.

So I may not be much help in your decision. I'd be inclined to suggest you may want to get the D7100 since it is more recent tech, but a lot depends on what and how you like to shoot. Perhaps you'd rather get the cheaper D7000 and apply the savings to more (or better; or both!) glass.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    Its nearly impossible to place a value on something from the view of a stranger's pocketbook. The upgrade is worth it to some, not to others. A lot depends on how hard those extra GBP's are to acquire.
    I've owned both, and sold the D7000 (at a loss) after buying a D7100. The improved focusing system was worth the extra money to me.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    My recommendations...if you plan to buy a new camera every 18 months, buy the D7000. If you are going to use it a lot and keep the body for 3 or more years, buy the D7100.

The technology improvement n the AF system is significant and of course the 50% improvement in mega pixels. If you have a subject and need a high fps, just switch to JPEG Large and you will not fill the buffer. At least I have not been able to fill in for BIF pictures.

What lens do you have and what are you going to shoot. The new 18-140mm lens is really nice.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2013
    What lenses do you have? and what subjects do you like to shoot?

If you are on a tight budget the D7000 is a nice kit. Getting a good lense is worth it. Check out my last posting on PAD. "the lemur" it is sharp and IQ is great. .. and also i have thread reviewing the 18-140 also used on my D7000. i have considered upgrading to the D7100 and for me, feature wise, it will be a worth while upgrade but I think I will get one more lens first before I upgrade my camera.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My recommendations...if you plan to buy a new camera every 18 months, buy the D7000. If you are going to use it a lot and keep the body for 3 or more years, buy the D7100.

The technology improvement n the AF system is significant and of course the 50% improvement in mega pixels. If you have a subject and need a high fps, just switch to JPEG Large and you will not fill the buffer. At least I have not been able to fill in for BIF pictures.

What lens do you have and what are you going to shoot. The new 18-140mm lens is really nice.
    Absolutely +1.

Without knowing what your genres are or you ability to use the tech to the 'Nth' degree, Photobug's advice is sensible.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This topic has been discussed here:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/810/d7000-and-d7100-buying-advice/p2

Please do a search before starting new threads.
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.