D7100 almost a year later

tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
edited December 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So now that the D7100 has been out a while. Thoughts on it? I aim this is going to be my next camera and I might have some motivation to get one in a bit for an event in October 2014. Obviously to be upgrading from my aging D5000.

Any major quirks or problems anyone is having?
D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2013
    There is nothing to think about tcole! I started with the D5000, went to D90 for the controls (should have got the D90 in the first place), then got the D7000 and was blown away by the sensor, but when I upgraded to the D7100, I was totally impressed with the high ISO and sharpness. if you go from D5K to D7100 you will be staggered. It will really make your 17-55 shine!

Do it. Get it now.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • JakesGTJakesGT Posts: 38Member
    I made a jump from the D3100 to the D7100 and it was a great choice. The sharpness of images is just unreal and where I was limited to 400-800 ISO before I can go safely to 1600 or even 2000 if I'm wanting a noisy look. You won't regret the choice at all
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited December 2013
    Lol spray you have been rooting for a new body for me for a while now <:-P

It will probably be after tax time when I can get a new one, but thought I would start looking/asking around. If it goes through I will be the second man at a wedding...I told the person I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself and I really wouldn't with just my D5000. However I would feel better with a D7100 and my D5000 as my second body. We will see how it goes, but I have been eying the D7100 since it came out. Also I would want to get it with enough time to learn it before going in.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    You swayed me towards the 17-55, now it's your turn to spend on my advice!

@JakesGT's experience is different to mine, I am seeing better than that - I have auto-ISO set with no limits - 6400!
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Lol spray you have been rooting for a new body for me for a while now <:-P

It will probably be after tax time when I can get a new one, but thought I would start looking/asking around. If it goes through I will be the second man at a wedding...I told the person I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself and I really wouldn't with just my D5000. However I would feel better with a D7100 and my D5000 as my second body. We will see how it goes, but I have been eying the D7100 since it came out. Also I would want to get it with enough time to learn it before going in. </p>
    I would put a fast wide prime on the D5000 and then use the newer 7100 for telephoto reach given that it can make cleaner images with less light. My 7100 is awesome for outdoor distance action shooting, but I have not been all that pleased with indoor low light shots as focusing takes too long...you may want to also consider the 610.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    While I'm still learning how to best take advantage of all my D7100 can do, I can say without any question, it's the best body I've EVER had. It's low light ability is amazing. It focuses lightning fast. It's high pixel count let's me crop without fear and the 1.3 mode give me amazing reach, with excellent results if I need it. The ONLY thing I had wished for on the D7100 was an articulated screen like I had on my D5100. If Canon can put on on the 70D, which is their D7100 competitor, Nikon could have as well. Otherwise, it's going to be in my camera bag for a long time to come.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    @JakesGT's experience is different to mine, I am seeing better than that - I have auto-ISO set with no limits - 6400!
    I have NR off and I never shoot with auto ISO. So while I know I can easily go past 2000 I keep it below that for image quality
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Just go and buy the D7100. Everyone have listed the pros...you will be amazed. My fall pictures with the 17-55 were excellent. These two are excellent together.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    Did any D7100 owners come from the D7000? If so, is there a big difference? I know there is a resolution bump, but I am not an extreme cropper, so that isn't a big reason for me to consider the D7100.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    And most DX lenses will not exploit all those megapixels. In my opinion, the D7100 is for someone that wants to shoot good FX glass and is using the D7100 to bridge the gap until FX cameras some down in price, which they are and will continue to do so.
    edited December 2013

I have NR off and I never shoot with auto ISO. So while I know I can easily go past 2000 I keep it below that for image quality

I shoot with NR off too, but with autoISO and 3600 is the limit, mainly because indoors you need it that high.

And most DX lenses will not exploit all those megapixels. In my opinion, the D7100 is for someone that wants to shoot good FX glass and is using the D7100 to bridge the gap until FX cameras some down in price, which they are and will continue to do so.

Agree 100%. Sadly FX lenses are the only ones that go on the 7100 or even the 7000. Didn't plan it like that, but that's naturally what happened.

The FF Canon 6D is down to $1350 new... so tempting at these prices, which are now only slightly more than the 7100.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    Did any D7100 owners come from the D7000? If so, is there a big difference? I know there is a resolution bump, but I am not an extreme cropper, so that isn't a big reason for me to consider the D7100.
    I did. I did after testing a fellow club members D7100 for low light noise performance directly against my D7k and found it an amazing 2 stops better.

I vowed not to upgrade to the next model on from the D7K but wow, the D7100 is worth it.
    You forgot to mention that you don't actually have a recent DX camera let alone a D7100 and so are not qualified with actual experience. The 17-55, 10-24,12-24, 10.5, and 40 & 85 micro's are excellent lenses.
    Always learning.
  • BillKBillK Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2013
    I also had the D5000 and just recently got a D7100. I am into wildlife shots. The focus speed on the D7100 is a lot faster than the D5000 because of the internal motor. I used to have a hard time with Birds in Flight but using this camera makes it a lot easier. Picture quality is a lot better also. Very happy with the purchase.
    Post edited by BillK on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Thanks for the input. I have been tempted to jump on buying one recently but we just bought a new house so other stuff has been put on hold. The wedding would give me an excuse though ;-)

I have made up my mind to get one though. Just have to wait a bit.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    You forgot to mention that you don't actually have a recent DX camera let alone a D7100 and so are not qualified with actual experience. The 17-55, 10-24,12-24, 10.5, and 40 & 85 micro's are excellent lenses.
    Hello Spraynpray:

Yes, your lenses are excellent DX lenses and I agree that they are excellent choices for a D7100 or even a D5300. However, I do have a DX camera with an excellent prime lens probably superior to any DX zoom at 18.5mm. The Coolpix A is in my signature.

I don't believe that I need actual experience with a DX DSLR (which admit I don't own and have never owned) to present an opinion on this for the following reason.

This is the same issue as exists in FX format. I own a D800, which despite the fact that it the highest megapixel density FX camera, it is LOWER than your D7100. I also own glass of varying qualities ranging from the mediocre 28-200 (it was considered a very good quality zoom in its day) to the superb 85mm 1.4G. I can easily identify the limits of the glass on my two 50mm lenses (including the 1.4G). Further, I can see the 85 1.4G get a "little" soft wide open, and this is one of the sharpest Nikon lenses of all time. I expect to see more softness when a higher megapixel density FX camera is released. This means that FX cameras (by the D800) are already getting close to the limits of good FX glass and have likely exceeded the limits of all the zooms except possibly the very finest.

Therefore, I think that it is a safe bet to assume that a DX camera with an even higher megapixel density has already exceeded the limits of the generally inferior (but still good) DX glass.

Note that I said "most DX lenses". I did not say "all DX lenses". Two points.

Primes exceed zooms in image quality with few exceptions (the 14-24 2.8 compared to the 14mm 2.8 comes to mind). Of the 18 lenses in the DX lineup, only four are primes.

Two of the primes, which you own, are micros. Micros, because field curvature is not tolerated, tend to have the best sharpness in a lens lineup. I would not feel confident about saying that these lenses have been exceeded.

However, as I was careful to hedge my bets and say "most", not "all", I stand by my original assertion.
  • ReeseReese Posts: 11Member
    I was one of the people that had per-ordered the D7100 and got one of the first ones available. I love it. It is a great camera. I was upgrading from a D5000.

My sensor has gotten dirty a few times. I couldn't tell if it was oil or dust but I know how to clean my own sensor and it wasn't hard. That doesn't happen anymore now.

I ended up getting some better glass because nothing I had before could come close to resolving the sensor. Nikon doesn't really have much good DX glass. I am currently using the Sigma 17-50mm and the Sigma 50-150mm lenses for weddings. They are great sharp optics. I am strongly considering the new Sigma 18-35mm.

The sensor is really good. I have noticed that if I try to push the shadows more than 2 stops in lightroom that I can see some banding. I never saw that with my D5000 but my D5000 degraded fast with higher ISO. I'd take the better ISO any day given the choice. From what I have read I am not sure if everyone else sees the banding or not. It may be a symptom of getting one of the first copies.

The auto-focus system is fabulous! I don't think I could ever go back now!
  • ReeseReese Posts: 11Member
    edited January 2014
    Therefore, I think that it is a safe bet to assume that a DX camera with an even higher megapixel density has already exceeded the limits of the generally inferior (but still good) DX glass

I absolutely agree with that. If you want the most out of the DX 24MP sensor then you will need to either consider pro FX glass or look to Sigma. I am not willing to pay FX prices so I turned to Sigma and I am very happy so far.

Here is what DXO says are the best lenses for the D7100: http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-F1.8-DC-HSM-A-Nikon-mount-lens-review-Unrivalled-Standard-Zoom/Best-Standard-Zoom-mounted-on-D7100
    Post edited by Reese on

I absolutely agree with that. If you want the most out of the DX 24MP sensor then you will need to either consider pro FX glass or look to Sigma. I am not willing to pay FX prices so I turned to Sigma and I am very happy so far.

Here is what DXO says are the best lenses for the D7100: http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-F1.8-DC-HSM-A-Nikon-mount-lens-review-Unrivalled-Standard-Zoom/Best-Standard-Zoom-mounted-on-D7100
    The real value of a high res DX sensor is in great tele. For other normal range shots I would stick with a fast prime to help the light and crop in post. I have some great primes for my DX but hardly use them as I am shooting tele most of the time and am too lazy to change it unless I'm shooting at night. Even indoors, the 7100's ISO is good enough that I no longer swap out to wide aperture primes anymore...they stay with me unused sadly.

There was a study regarding autofocus problems posted here at NR and basically it said that 3rd party lenses regardless of the camera they get mounted to more often cause blurred out of focus images. I have a Sigma 85 1.4 and I will tell you shooting wide open the 7100 does have a heck of a time figuring out exactly what I want to focus on when shooting action. I have actually gotten far superior results mounting it to the 1V1 and using it as fast telephoto, where the 1 series hybrid focusing mechanism seems to help ironically. This is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt.
    I've gotten banding in shadows when I push it in post, except it has rarely been a problem
  • JustLuckeyJustLuckey Posts: 1Member
    I came from a D5100 (previously D40) and am very happy with my D7100. Most everyone has talked about the performance, so I'll choose a different angle. I love the size and feel of it. I also like having more control without menu diving. It feels much more balanced when putting on larger/longer/heavier lenses. I have a couple friends that have the D7000 and have let me borrow several times. I think if I owned the D7000, it'd hold off on the D7100, as I don't think there's that big of a jump/added features. This is not a knock on the D7100, I think it's a testament to the D7000.
    I think if I owned the D7000, it'd hold off on the D7100, as I don't think there's that big of a jump/added features. This is not a knock on the D7100, I think it's a testament to the D7000.
    I agree with one exception.
    The 7100's crop mode has been a blessing. Longer crop factor means 300 is now 600 instead of 450. And the crop factor shooting mode has roughly doubled the rate of sustained, continuous RAW shooting, which is impressive given that the crop photos are similar in size to the 7000. I own both and now use the 7100 exclusively for distance and have a fast prime on the 7000.