Is the D7100 Nikon's best camera?

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2014
    I would prefer a faster fps than the D800 because there are a few moments during a wedding when a few more fps can come in handy. Having 6 pictures of a first kiss or confetti shot vs 4 can make a difference..... but I also make frames for my clients, sometimes with 30x40 prints,
    30 x 40 prints can be extremely profitable
    but the quality has to be first rate
    I would be very tempted to put up with 4 fps and go for the D800
    if you sales technique is any good, it should quickly pay for it self and allow you get a D4 as your second camera
    You picture quality needs to better than "Uncle Harry" who might also has a D7100

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • ptrmckyptrmcky Posts: 44Member

@ptrmcky - for A3 (as I presume you are talking 30x40cm not inches) size you can print basically from any current camera, even from iPhone and the client will not see a difference.
    No I am printing 30 x 40 inch prints for some clients. It's certainly not for everyone, but there is a decent margin on a framed 30 x 40 print. I suppose they might be worth getting a D800 for. Wouldn't be long before it's paid off. So that's me back to the drawing board :(

Maybe I'll just get a Phase One. It's just so big and impressive that clients won't even question me when I miss half the shots at the wedding.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    it doesn't stop with the D800 - if it did, I would have one. You will need a top PC/MAC if you are going to edit them without wasting your life staring at a screen.
    Always learning.
  • ptrmckyptrmcky Posts: 44Member
    I updated my Macbook Pro last month to a fairly well kitted out 21.5 inch iMac. 32GB of RAM and the 3.1Ghz i7 should handle the files, but I like to keep the RAW files on a hard drive for a good while just in case. I would probably have to spend a fortune on additional hard drives.
    edited January 2014
    it doesn't stop with the D800 - if it did, I would have one. You will need a top PC/MAC ........
    Yet again I have to agree with S&P
    I would also recommend the big, high res monitor; this is essential, for selling big prints

Maybe I'll just get a Phase One. It's just so big and impressive

This is the real reason a lot of people use battery backs two bodies and a Quantum Qflash

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator

@shawnino
    "I don't want to pick a fight with you, @msmoto, but your Olympus does the job because you've got the skill to make it do the job. You could probably get a majority of your D4 keepers with a D50."

Actually, I am just older than most and have time to work out problems. LOL

If there is anything I could say about "Nikon's best camera" it is that the best camera is what does the job. And, the photographer's preference for the equipment is important.

IMO every current Nikon FX or DX body can outperform my abilities easily. (OK, maybe the D600 is the exception…. :((
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @ptrmcky - u just need an external RAID connected via thunderbolt.
  • CujoCujo Posts: 7Member
    I nearly started a new thread for this question, but it does kind of fit into this ongoing discussion.

I've recently ordered a D800 after some D610 problems, and I'm looking at a cost-effective way to add a second body for action shooting. I expect the D800 to cover a lot of my requirements, except for motor sports.
    Looking at the spec of the D7100, it seems reasonably good for faster action - specifically the AF and 6fps.

My lenses are mostly FX, but I figure my 70-300 VR would work well with DX and give me a handy x1.5 boost. I looked at the MB-D12 Grip for additional D800 fps. But as they are only applicable in DX, I started thinking that I might as well buy a second body instead.

The other big factor is price. A D7100 for half the price of a D610 seems like very good value to me, it certainly doesn't sound like half the camera!
    I don't really want to spend more than the price of a D7100, so that rules out a D300s or a used D700. Or indeed another D610.

Does anyone out there mix and match DX/FX with a D7100 and a D800? If so, how do you find them?

Many thanks

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    @Cujo: D800 comes in around 4.5 fps--4ish FX, 5ish DX. Is 6 fps going to make that much of a difference? (Not trying to be smug, honest question.)
    edited January 2014
    , and I'm looking at a cost-effective way to add a second body for action shooting. I
    When it comes to value for money the D7100 is very hard to beat. but when looking at fps, beware of write speed and buffer issues The other option is a second hand D3

• CujoCujo Posts: 7Member
    Fair question. Probably not is the honest answer for many situations.
    But just occasionally extra fps helps.
    It's not just fps. I do like using two bodies at race tracks, probably a hangover from my 35mm days.

edited January 2014
    @Cujo: Don't forget that 70-300 becomes a 140-600 if you shoot a D7100 in 1.3 crop mode!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited January 2014
    Motorsports…two bodies, I use a D4 w/ 400-800mm plus a D90 w/ 70-200mm. Or, if I am shooting primarily in the short range, D90 w/ long lens to get way down the track, D4 w/ 70-200 +/- a TC for what is going on around me.

IMO the D7100 would be an excellent addition to the D800. I have given some thought to this myself but am still holding out for the elusive D400.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2014
    I can see the D7100 has a lot of advantages over a D90 and a few advantages over a D4 as it has a higher pixel density but I cannot see much difference, apart from fps, between cropping in camera with the D7100 and cropping in post with a D800
    Yes, there is a lot to be said for cropping in post….. I do it all the time. If I had the money I would shoot two D4 bodies, but as I do this only as a "hobby" now, I cannot see the expenditure……yet….

As for pixel density, I am not a fan of this. The D3s can shoot about anything I want and getting one in 9 or 9+ condition or refurbished may be an option.

For the price, it is hard to find something to beat the D7100 (IMO only).
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I can see the D7100 has a lot of advantages over a D90 and a few advantages over a D4 as it has a higher pixel density but I cannot see much difference, apart from fps, between cropping in camera with the D7100 and cropping in post with a D800
    The fps is significant!! In crop mode JPEG you get 7 fps, and in RAW you get 6 fps for almost 3 seconds before slowing down to 3+ fps. For someone trying to shoot action, being able to hold down the shutter for that long of a burst is significant.
    edited January 2014
    The fps is significant!! .
    here is a thread on fps

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=4845

on the old forum

The big question can the "The Decisive Moment" be captured at 4 fps and how many shots do you need ???

I have used a D800 for over a year and for me the answer is 99% of the time

May be it is time for a new thread

'er 'tis

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2210/can-the-the-decisive-moment-be-captured-at-4-fps#Item_1

the difference between using FX in DX mode and using DX mode alone is the time you need to spend on cropping. also don't forget that you can use the crop mode on DX and get even more w/o additional work.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    it doesn't stop with the D800 - if it did, I would have one. You will need a top PC/MAC if you are going to edit them without wasting your life staring at a screen.
    I'm tired of this BS. I have no problem processing D800 files on a 3 year old Core i5 machine.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    Really???? What software are you using PM_PM
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2014
    Aperture 3. The speed of your HDD or SSD will have more effect on loading images than the CPU in any case.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I'm tired of this BS. I have no problem processing D800 files on a 3 year old Core i5 machine.
    It would only be BS if I used Aperture on a Mac. As I don't, (Lightroom on a PC) the comment is both relevant and accurate.
    Always learning.
    Please stay on topic
    edited January 2014
    Please stay on topic
    and the topic is

Is the D7100 Nikon's best camera?

but lets let be honest it is an awkward question, as it depends on, you skill level, what you want to do, how much money you have to spend, and what other equipment ( including computers and soft ware) you have

The fact this forum ( unlike the café) is not divided into sections, means we continually go off topic

things have not been helped when another question was asked

I'm looking at a cost-effective way to add a second body for action shooting

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Best value? Yes. Not best for every type of photography obviously. I shoot more and more with my D600 and less and less with my D800 simply because 24mp is enough for me. A D7100 would be a better DX companion to the FX D600 (or D610) simply because it uses the same user interface just as the D400 would be a better DX companion to a D800 or a D4 for the same reason.