D5200 - Buttons Not Responding?

MetalMaidenMetalMaiden Posts: 14Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello! New here as I'm having issues with my new D5200. Pretty much all the buttons on the top and back are not responding. Menu, playback, multi shot ect... I press the buttons and nothing happens. Anyone heard of this? Is this user error or camera defect?? Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Does the camera turn on and is there additional data in the LCD panel? If not, you have a dead battery. Assume you checked the battery? If the battery is charged and the buttons do not work, wipe the contacts on the battery and reinsert. If it still doesn't work, I would return it for another body.

Did you do a firmware update?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MetalMaidenMetalMaiden Posts: 14Member
    Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! yes the camera turns on and takes pictures and they show up briefly on the screen when i take them but i can't call them anymore. This is the third-ish time i used the camera and i had set up timers and multi shots before, could call up the pics no problem and i went to take some "selfie" family pics today and none of the menu/playback/ anything is coming up on the screen. i was goingto try do a firmware update but i think i read i need to get into menu for that? full battery. there is constantly a blinking line in the middle of the screen that looks like this"

- ............0...........+

i dont know if im in some sort of setting i need to exit out of in order to access the menu and stuff? i am so frustrated. does it have anything to do with my memory card somehow? i see there was issues with 16gb sandisks or something but mines a 16gb kingston...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You might want to check the manual to see if it is possible to do a hard rest (reboot the camera). If that fails call Nikon support.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    thank you for your reply PB. I just googled a reset and i tried it and its not responding. it boggles my mind tat NIKON is supposed to be amazing because I am 2/2 for defunct cameras. i feel really sorry for the person who is going to have to deal with me on monday.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Metal, try pulling the battery out for like 5-10 min, and then try the reset again if you can. Also, take the lens off and remount it (while the battery is pulled). Also, does live view work? Also try pulling the SD card out and see if you can put it into a computer, pull the files, and reformat the card, in the camera if possible.
    i just did all of the above unfortunately and its still the same. i have a feeling its fubarred. naturally. i have very bad luck with electronics... people might not even believe it unless they were witness to it. if theres a dud in a million, i end up with it! i am so pissed. this is the last nikon i ever buy.
    thanks for all your help though, i appreciate it.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Page 75 of the D5200 User's Manual lists the approved memory cards, The 16gb kingston is not listed as I can tell. There are some folks who have had problems with this card, albeit only 6% of the buyers. If there is a problem with recording to the card, it may cause all the functions to become imperative.

Possibly if you were to borrow an approved memory card and try this, with a fully charged battery, and reset all the functions, this would help.

And, I am assuming you are using a Nikon Lens?
    Msmoto, mod
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

@MetalMaiden - what mode are you shooting in?

I think you need to push the "Info" button to scroll to the next screen.

My best,

Mike
    hey guys. when i push the info button nothing happens also. any button i push nothing happens. i tried a deff memory card too nothing changed. got a hold of nikon said to send it in. i got very worried as i bought it from amazon and i didn't even think about whether they are an authorized dealer or not... i think what i got from the convo with the live chat service lady is that they were, but they are going to replace the camera for me and provide return postage. i am so grateful. i just felt sick yesterday.... thanks so much everyone for your help. i considered just taking a refund and getting a different brand of camera but this is my last try with nikon. who really gets 2 out of 2 fubarred cameras from nikon... it can't be three. i honestly actually even dont know why i am trying them
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Agree with MsMoto. Have not said this for a long time, but I always tell my friends to avoid those "elcheapo" memory cards. Go try a SanDisk or Lexar your results maybe different. There is a reason that Nikon has a list of recommended approved memory cards.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    thanks guys. i just purchased a good sandisk to ensure i dont experience any issues with my replacement.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Which SanDisk card have you chosen, How large did you venture?
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

i went with the SanDisk 32 GB SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDX-032G-X46
    does this sound like it will work??
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, but something tells me that your SD card is not the reason you are having camera problems.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    yeah this camera is being replaced.... i shuold have my new on on wednesday. i just bought an approved SD just to make sure i am doing all i can for the new one not to mess up. i didn't even know there was an approved list or not but now i should be in full compliance for the next one. besides, one can never have too many memory cards kicking around...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Can you check with Amazon to see if you get any money back? Looks like you did get a dud. If possible, you can check the individual seller and maybe email them?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    yes i can get my money back if i want or a replacement which is already on its way... i prolly should have and put it towards a canon... that might be a swear word here as i want to love nikon.. we use nikons for work and i have never known anyone to have a problem with them except for me! I am scared tho if this one messes up too then i'll be SOL because they'll prolly think im lying or mistreating my stuff which i'm not. i am going to use the s*** out of it so hopefully if its going to mess up that it does in the first 30 days this time... i only use it once in awhile for family "portraits"
    edited January 2014
    I don't think anyone here really bothers to point fingers at Canon users. It's certainly fine by me, which ever camera gives you the most value and has many or all the features which enable you the best photos, for your style of shooting.

You can evidently use Nikon glass on Canon bodies.
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

edited January 2014
    thanks chas, good to know about the lenses. this will be my third try with nikon (first one D80 double hooped with dead battery syndrome and "loose" lense F-- blinky error) and now malfunctioning D5200. I have definitely tried! Maybe third times a charm.
    Post edited by MetalMaiden on
    edited January 2014
    Wishing you great luck with your new camera. It shall be good to you.

The atmosphere is a little more friendly here, and much less judge-mental than many blogs and forums.

Much like that Sandro video shot on a D800, Joy Ride.

http://vimeo.com/sandroinc/videos
    Watch it's interesting behind the scenes, notice them hard core bikers accepted dr. crotch rocket,
    with that simple nod of approval.
    http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/07/joy-ride-the-nikon-d800-promo-video-is-out.aspx/

It's all good... Enjoy photography!!

I read this and thought it fitting,
    … whatever you shoot think from time to time why are you doing this, and dont forget: not everything depends from gear that you are using but also from your creativity.
    oh! photography create something out of nothing!
    Post edited by ChasCS on

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am going to guess that Canon will give you no better performance. In fact, in the various tests for ruggedness, not very scientific, the Nikon stuff hangs in better than Canon. Nikon has IMO better lenses, Possibly Canons focus quicker. Low light…I lean toward Nikon.

It is important to follow the instructions carefully to avoid malfunctions. If you were not aware that only certain cards were approved, maybe there were other issues in the instructions missed. To do anything with a DSLR, the power should be off. No lens change, no card change, unless powered down.

We hope you stay with Nikon, but you can do the same images with Canon.
    Msmoto, mod
    i never did anything with the power on, as i said i used it no more than 3 times and very basic usage. but how many defective cameras would someone get before trying another brand... and not even necessarily canon. oh well onward and upward, this is my last try.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    You have to be careful when you buy on Amazon, they sometimes partner with not so reputable shippers and that would affect you whether you buy Nikon or Canon cameras.

I once bought MicroSD cards on Amazon for cheap and I got microSD cards, but the retail packaging was already gone. And it wasn't the frustration free packaging, it shipped in plain manilla bubble envelopes. They worked, but I wouldn't buy them for that price ever again.

Honestly, if you weren't too sure you could have asked earlier for advice on reputable camera stores before you took the plunge.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S