Critique My Image

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited January 2014 in General Discussions
This is a TRIAL THREAD to see if some of us want to have some feed back for an image. The rules are the same as for PAD.
PLEASE POST ONLY ONE (1) PHOTO PER 24HRS* in this thread.

As a courtesy we ask that you keep your photos to under 640 pixels on the longest side. If you post a photo that is much larger than 640 pixels then it will be deleted from the thread. You can have your smaller photo link to a larger version but the embedded photos must be less than 640 pixels. If you need help on how to post a photo read through the Forum Rules & FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread for help on how to post a photo.

Forum Rules: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/298/forum-rules#Item_1

And: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day#Item_118 - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2166/photo-a-day-january-2014/p1#sthash.jOTN2OE6.dpuf

IMPORTANT: The purpose of this thread is to offer suggestions for those who have a desire to hear others input.
After a period of time this thread will be evaluated and if it is helpful to Nikon folks, it may be kept
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    So, the first image for critique…. and if you really hate this, it is OK to let me know.
    NAIAS_2014_15

Larger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/12100436854/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    Msmoto, mod
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited January 2014
    OK, I'll bite. The image is sharp and colorful. Lots of detail. I like the image itself for it's quality. I see no one clear defined subject so instead of the rule of thirds it is the rule of the whole that would normally apply to landscapes. It's the subject matter that is a pet peeve of mine. Gone are the days you can sit on the fender of a pickup and work on the entire engine on the top. Recently their was an article published about one make of car that had to have the engine partially removed to change the spark plugs. Now for an insomniac who has not slept in almost 24 hours I may have missed the whole point of the photo. One thing I'll add is that it is a very "busy" photo. But then again that is the nature of the beast. I've never shot fisheye myself and don't really think I ever will. Guess I'm to much of a realist. The image does show off the IQ the artist, camera, & lens can produce without question. 2¢ and thanks for an at least trial thread.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    I like the idea, but find the picture itself very busy.
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    Msmoto - I do not want to comment the picture, I just want to make an observation about the format of this thread. People are going to throw picture after picture here and by the time the comments are written it will be very difficult to understand which comment is for which picture. IMHO something like facebook style, would work better - each image with the comments right underneath it.

... and to me the picture is not too busy it is just the nature of the subject.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Msmoto Genesis pic. I like it and can't find anything i don't like about it,but then it's a mechanical device and i love that stuff. Brand new tech car but still what looks like it uses an old chevy water pump pully. LOL. I think it's great and well done.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Second Image for Critique:

DON_6171
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    edited January 2014
    It is busy, you're absolutely right, and that's actually one of the things I like about it. It makes me keep looking at it, seeing slightly different things every time I do. Right now I'm captivated by the roundness, and how the rounded blues offset the tyres.
    Post edited by shawnino on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.

Ansel Adams

Unless there is an obvious technical error, I am not sure I can see the advantage of these type of critique threads. Does anyone here really care whether I like or don't like someone's photograph? What makes me think that my opinion (and that's all that will be posted) is noteworthy in any sense?

But lets be honest, technical errors are pretty easy to spot. It is just that I have not seen too many on this forum.

What I would like to suggest is something a little different but, in my opinion (DOH!) would be more useful is for the photographer to post a picture and then have the photographer comment on their own photograph. Telling us what their intent was, what problems did they have, how they mitigated the problems, and most importantly, what would they have done differently if they were to reshoot this photograph.

MsMoto, why the hell did you take a fisheye shot of some motor?????

Well, you probably had a very good reason and I would be interested in learning about it. It might even peak my interest in fisheye photography. :)

Understanding the photographic process that happens before the shutter is pushed, I feel, is an important part of photography and one not addressed well in a lot of books.

We have some really good photographers on this site who take really good photographs. This is probably not an accidental coincidence. I would personally find it helpful to get further insight into what the photographer was intending and what actually happened.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    This is a Great Idea! Can't wait to upload my images once I finish my photography class!
    I like the family at the beach class. What's wrong with that one?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @Msmoto I agree with this point here.
    I'm honestly having a hard time deciding if i think it would be better if the shot was tighter or wider.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    On the idea of this thread: I think it is a good idea, particularity for those of us who do not use Flickr for image storage, and miss out on the comments, and that aspect of this community.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited January 2014
    @donaldejose: Very nice! The only thing I think about is how it would look if you remove the sky and maybe a little bit of the sand in the foreground.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    @msmoto

I like the idea of the shot. Did you take a few alternatives from different angles or positions?

@donaldejose

I like yours too. I like how the picture captured the moment. It might have been better if the person picking up shells was at a slightly different angle.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    @MsMoto - it is busy, but you can get away with busy. I think needs a singular/main focus point in the center-ish of the frame. For me, I have found fish-eyes really work when you are really close, and I mean really close like under 24". I also have found looking straight on or upward seems to work more than not as well. Fish-eyes are bloody tricky. I can tell there is an image there and you are close, I just don't know what it is. ;)

@donaldejose - perfect except for the 2-legged butt alien that photo bombed it ;) Personally I would see if you had a shot just before or after and merge the two sides together in photo shop. It would be a lot of work, but well worth it. It's a great shot in the moment for sure!

I love this video from Scott Kelby - very long, but really shows what it takes to get one good image. For anyone who really wonders how and why some photographers are great - this will show that they don't take snapshots.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Msmoto: I can see this being used by the company in a brochure, I think it really rocks! Best use of a fisheye I've seen for a long while - and I'm not a fan of fisheyes.

@Donaldejose: Please remove that figure that is bending down - it is very unflattering. It is almost a good shot with people making different shapes, but not quite.
    Always learning.
  • jimojimo Posts: 2,532Member
    OK I am game, please critique this photograph. I promise not to shot myself or anyone on NR if it's not favorable. LOL

Great Blue Heron
    edited January 2014
    @jimo I like the processing of this image. I think the one thing I would have done differently, would have been to wait for the Heron to turn it's eye to face the camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM Said:@jimo I like the processing of this image. I think the one thing I would have done differently, would have been to wait for the Heron to turn it's eye to face the camera. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2324/critique-my-image#Item_17

Do you mean like this:

Great Blue Heron
    Yes. :)
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited January 2014
    I find no drastic things wrong in the heron image and not knowing the terrain and lens that was used it is hard to say or maybe even suggest. Had it been possible I see two thinks in addition to the eye facing the camera and that is shifting the heron more to the right on about the 1/3 mark and if possible taken lying down with elbows on the ground giving more separation of the heron and the background. Just a couple pennies worth. I think those are all the things my old photog prof would have told me during a class critique.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
    Thanks for the comments FreezeAction. The picture was taken with a Nikon 89-400 lens. The morning had started off as very foggy but as I was leaving it was just a heavy overcast. I used an flash-extender by Better Beamer and my flash was set to -1 EV. Thanks again for your comments.
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    edited January 2014
    @jimo I find the background is too busy and predominant, I would crop more and darken it much more (not vignett it) perhaps make it more fuzzy and concentrate on the subjet.
    @ToaTeRajed Good video, nice to someone putting words on what we do instinctively.
    Here is mine of Malmo
    _0047439
    How could I edit it better?
    Post edited by Pierre on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    @jimo

It's more of a personal preference but I would probably frame or crop the picture a lot tighter, maybe even in vertical format.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @Pierre I like it. Edit better? maybe up the contrast slightly.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    everyone: Yes, I too think the girl bending creates a flaw. I was so busy trying to catch the kid at the height of his cartwheel that I did not notice the girl bend down to pick up a shell until I had snapped the photo. She distracts from the otherwise rule of third composition with the point of interest on the kid upside down.