Critique My Image

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Yes, Donald, it is all about what we want to see. And, if blue is what you would like, how is this?

Donald's Guest Image REV 02.01.14

Note, the crop is to show the singer. I avoided the Andy Warhol dress as I thought for me it was distracting to the face of the singer. But, again, all this is just personal preference.

I think any color in this venue is OK, but it is a typical mixed light source which is a nightmare in post.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    There are always two people in every picture,The Photographer and the Viewer

Quote Ansel Adams
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I thought the graphic image top was a poor choice for the singer also.
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    edited February 2014
    Here's one of mine for critique. I was trying for a different view of the Roman Colosseum than we normally see, but I'm not sure that it really works.
    Coloseum
    Post edited by cbg on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited February 2014
    @cbg up the clarity a bit on the building to bring out the details a bit more. Maybe crop our the space on the left.

Here is my critique for today.
    I have a better composed photo (fingers not cut off) but unfortunately the guitar was closer to the flash and the glare is hard to fix.
    For this one I increased iris and clarity. Softned skin and brought down the exposure on the nose,cheeck and front side of hand.
    Increased clarity on earring and guitar. Post was done in LR

Ehisha 2
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    @cbg up the clarity a bit on the building to bring out the details a bit more. Maybe crop our the space on the left.

Here is my critique for today.
    I have a better composed photo (fingers not cut off) but unfortunately the guitar was closer to the flash and the glare is hard to fix.
    For this one I increased iris and clarity. Softned skin and brought down the exposure on the nose,cheeck and front side of hand.
    Increased clarity on earring and guitar. Post was done in LR

Ehisha 2
    I would not change a thing. She is gorgeous.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Here is one for you guys. Everyone is talking about the choices that they have to make, so I took this photo two different ways. Adamz, you might appreciate this one if you look closely.

So which one do you guys like better and why?

_DSC6769.jpg

_DSC6770.jpg
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @vipmediastar:

Apart from the loss of fingers you already mentioned, you would have done better perhaps if you had either flipped the camera round to portrait or cropped it square (too much dead space at the ends). Otherwise, very nice.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2014
    OK, here is another version of VIP Mediastar's super image:
    VIP Mediastar_Guest_Image 02.02.14

I do not think this is necessarily better, but different.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    edited February 2014
    @vipmediastar thanks for the comment. I agree that increasing the clarity would really help with the details. I'm not sure about cropping all of the sky out on the left, but removing some of it would probably help.

As for your image, I agree that it is already perfect.
    Post edited by cbg on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Here is one for you guys. Everyone is talking about the choices that they have to make, so I took this photo two different ways. Adamz, you might appreciate this one if you look closely.

So which one do you guys like better and why?

_DSC6769.jpg

_DSC6770.jpg
    The image with the vignette added does deal with some of the distractions on the edge of the frame (like the edge of the bush on the lower right). Due to the lighting conditions, neither image really pops out at you, but that really is not something you could have controlled in this situation. I understand, since I live in Greater Vancouver myself. :)

I think I might have taken a few steps to the right, to put the tree in between the rocks, and make the frame parallel to the cranes. Of course, more of that bush on the lower right would be in the frame as a result.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    end of the day bit tired.. took a whole set of photos .. all blur .. so how to avoid this ?
    Manual 50mm AIS, flash on remote. in the lantern. .. I guess its more advice i need on process and logistic.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited February 2014
    @heartyfisher

If we had all the Exif data, or just the vital stats… f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, and how you focused the camera. It appears focused on infinity….and the shutter speed about 1/30 sec, wide open or close to it. If the lens is a manual focus lens…..how are your eyes? In a dark venue it is sometimes difficult to focus.

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Thanks for the crop. I now see it diffrently. Im so used to doing cars and city that i forget to switch to portrait mode. Ill try to crop a few before i give her the images.

Thanks for the super image comment. That means all the reading here is paying off.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @ heartyfisher, by virtue of the ghosting on the tree under the gentleman's arm I'd guess just what Msmoto said, very slow shutter speed. I can't see that anything would look in focus thru your viewfinder with that result though. At that time of day I likely would have been on tripod in order to work with slower shutter speeds and to keep high ISO noise to a minimum.

I'm afraid you're going to have to ask her to put that very same outfit on and meet you there again. All in the name of art of course!!!
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Don't forget that old glass like that has handy distance indicators etched and painted right onto the lens barrel, so at the very least you can have a close starting point and also know what your distance boundaries are in order to maintain accurate focus.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    edited February 2014

As much it is probably advisable to keep your shutter speed a little higher than 1/30 for a 50mm lens, its obvious that the culprit here is missed focus since we can see that the building in the background is the actual point of focus in the photo.
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    How do you fix a face like this guitar player when the band's colored lights are projecting two different colors on his face?

600_1238
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    My opinion? There is nothing to fix. Concerts have colored lights, as long as you have the context, your eye will adjust. In fact, I rather like the "highlight" on the guitar player, makes him pop.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    @heartyfisher

If we had all the Exif data, or just the vital stats… f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, and how you focused the camera. It appears focused on infinity….and the shutter speed about 1/30 sec, wide open or close to it. If the lens is a manual focus lens…..how are your eyes? In a dark venue it is sometimes difficult to focus.

I think it is more an issue of the lighting setup. shutter speed determines the background, aperture your subject (in the line of flash fire). aim for 1/125 and F4 with some strobes or some massive flash power. Put the camera and the flashes on manual. Overall a challenge since you want to light the subject evenly, but not cast any shadows on the dunes/beach. the classic process looks like you have the whole setup working when you start with the subject, so you can focus on her when she's ready. Use your buddy as a test object.

I think here the camera went for the sky in the exposure and the focus.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    How do you fix a face like this guitar player when the band's colored lights are projecting two different colors on his face?
    Looks good to me Donald but you might try spot metering off the face when shooting in that type of situation. Topaz Clarity is a good plugin to use in order to get the color and texture you want on the face, it has tons of presets. I used the Portrait Presents when doing bands like this.

edited February 2014
    @donaldejose

I bring colors into balance with the brushes in LR5.3. It may require five or more different color additions to get things correct,i.e., a color of the skin which is uniform. FYI there were 13 brushes used in the singer headshot to obtain a uniform skin tone.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    critique away
    62mm, f/22, 1/8 sec
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited February 2014
    @calengor great concept! I love the blur. But the composition feels loose and there are a lot of elements which are distracting the eye. E.g., the guys idly watching on the left doesn't add anything to the picture. I might try cropping in tight -- maybe just the three targets on the right, with the shooter in the middle -- to see if it improves the picture or not.
    Post edited by Ade on
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    edited February 2014
    It was a dreary and overcast day, but the ducks and sea gulls were in full attendance at a local lake. I haven't been having much luck with capturing birds in flight, so it was practice time. This was shot with a D7100 and a 55-300 @ 195mm, 1/1600, f/8.0, ISO200, -2/3EV and it was cropped about a third. I think I flubbed the EV setting, but everything was so dark, except the sky itself. I'd like to try this again, but with a good 300mm. Is the fixed F/4 going to give me better sharpness?

DSC_5594_DxO_c

Post edited by michael66 on