Critique My Image

Comments

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    One I was never happy with no matter how I did the edit. At least I can soon go back and do an HDR to balance the shade and highlight areas. Until then see what you can do.

SteamEngineFF-1074
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The lack of any interest or colour in the sky will always limit that shot @FreezeAction.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @michael66

I usually have +.7 or + 1 ev when shooting into the sky. Then, possibly pulling out the shadow and increasing contrast would improve the overall look.

@FreezeAction

These are difficult, but I might mask the background and pull it darker. Also, increasing the saturation and then brushing the white areas to reduce saturation might be useful. Increasing the contrast locally on the subject may help also.

Please note: All of my comments are based solely on what I see on my monitor and may be way off…. ~O)
    Msmoto, mod
    The lack of any interest or colour in the sky will always limit that shot @FreezeAction.
    The sky was the problem from the beginning. White clipping at it's worst. Had I shot it in RAW then maybe I stood a chance. Extreme Dynamic Range didn't help. I didn't want a composite stealing a sky from another photo. The event is coming up this month again and I'll get another chance at it. All I know to do is bracket and merge with hopefully a real sky. It will test the D5300.

@Msmoto Sounds like a possibility after I retake with bracketed shots.

For any interested in a lot of antique steam power: http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/events.html

• calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member

I like it, but I feel like it's missing something, just don't know what that something is.

D7100, 42mm, f/9, 1/250 sec, ISO 320
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @calengor More contrast would help the image, without a doubt.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @calengor: It needs a subject. What you have there is an excellent stock texture for overlaying on another photo.
    Always learning.
    @calengor: It needs a subject. What you have there is an excellent stock texture for overlaying on another photo.
    I strongly agree. A great backing for a composite possibly.

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @calengor:
    I strongly agree. A great backing for a composite possibly.
    I agree as well.

D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Not necessarily: strong contrast could create a pattern like a Jackson Pollock painting and then it would need no subject.
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    @michael66
    I usually have +.7 or + 1 ev when shooting into the sky. Then, possibly pulling out the shadow and increasing contrast would improve the overall look.
    @Msmoto, Many thanks. I'll have to try changing the EV. Correctly, next time. It will most likely be a different gull, but I bet I can still get the crappy lighting. :)
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    @calengor: this is definitely the kind of photo that people take to use as textures in other photos. If you do a google search of "grunge overlay photoshop" you will find many similar photos and people sell them as such. In photoshop you just put it as another layer on top of your photo and change the blending mode to soft light or overlay. Then, if you want, you can mask it out a bit to complete the effect.

Wow. That makes a lot of sense. When people were first saying it would be good as a stock texture for using behind another picture I wasn't getting it until I saw what you did there. Thanks!
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    @ben_dmb - If that photo were mine I would ask myself what the subject is, and then try to exclude everything that distracts from it. For example, if the subject was the light on the brick background, I would frame it so that the fire alarm switch, books, corner line on the right, etc are not in the photo. Also, I would make sure I was directly in front of the lamp, ideally at its level. Doing so would draw a direct connection between the viewer and the subject. If your subject was something else, then you'd have to work with it similarly.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    @FreezeAction
    If that event is coming up again, try to go early.
    Another option to deal with the sky is to use a graduated ND Filter. I like the square ones best, with that you could nicely follow the tree line with the grey tone.

But bracketing might also work well.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Sometimes I like stepping out of my comfort zone. Ended up with this after a walk the other day. Can´t decide if this picture is just plain boring or if it is worth revisiting that kind of shot. Fire away.

_DSC4235
    @henrik1963

Lots of potential here. I am thinking maybe moving back a bit, move the sun into the 1/3rd rule and include the tree branches. Then clean up the whites some…. all of these suggestions are only my thoughts out loud. I have no idea if any of these ideas are even possible.
    Msmoto, mod
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Msmoto: Thanks for your suggestions. It is very hard to get color in to your pictures this time of year - you have a lot of gray :-) So I was trying to go for shape and contrast. Well it seemed like a good idea at the time. Here is a rework - still not good but....

_DSC4235
    Just the small crop change improved the photo, IMO. And, the snow/ice looks cleaner.

So, for those macro folks, here is one to consider…
    Triad Orchid Society_02.09.14-2
    Msmoto, mod
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    @msmoto - There is nothing really wrong with your photo, but I would challenge it as a macro photo because it does not show an extreme close up perspective that gives a viewer a glimpse of detail they wouldn't normally see. So I would encourage you to go closer, much like the flower detail photo you most recently posted to the PAD thread. Otherwise, it's a photo of a flower, which is in itself not wrong... but not very 'macro'. Keep up the fine work.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
    @Elvishefer
    Thanks, exactly what I thought after I said "macro"…..for sure this is not a macro but simply a photo of flowers….
    Msmoto, mod
    Msmoto: I too have shot flowers without much color variation and then wondered why the photo didn't "pop" more. I usually try to post process them with a bit more increased contrast, reduced highlight, saturated colors and added sharpness in Elements. Basically, I am just trying to get more "drama" into those flowers. Here is my attempt.

MsmotoPhoto_o
    Agree, the increased contrast/sharpening makes the image look more like it is alive….however, for the orchid folks, I am thinking they want to see a more accurate rendition. In my shot, I actually was considering making it flatter……LOL I will se what the orchid growers have to say.

But, I appreciate your input. That is what this thread is for!
    Msmoto, mod
    Yes, sometimes producing reality is not the same as making an image pop.