D600 with 70-200mm Nikkor lens- soft focus (Defect, User error or what?)

bishopbautistabishopbautista Posts: 5Member
edited February 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have a problem and I need your help guys and gals. I have a Nikon d600 and a 70-200mm nikon lens, the problem is My last shoot was ruined due to the fact that when I got back to review my images I noticed they all were soft focused. I’ve included an example of the focus issue against a ruler sitting on a 45 degree angle. In these images I was focusing on the number 28. My 50mm prime lens seem to shoot just fine but I notice a bit of a halo or drop shadow to the 70-200mm lens images. I thought that I could correct the problem with the fine tune function of the camera but regardless of the focus point the drop shadow looking marks still appear. Is this a lens issue and if so what do I do? Is this user error or is my last hope to send it back to Nikon to see if it can be corrected?

50mm prime lens shooting good:

http://bishopbautista.com/nikonImages/50mm f2 shutter 60th.jpg

70-200mm nikor lens with soft/blurry focus:
http://bishopbautista.com/nikonImages/70-200mm - 2point8 tripod 80th.jpg

Camera: D600, AF-A, Spot focus

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Bishop
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    your back focus looks fine but I cannot see any posted photos with the drop shadow etc
  • bishopbautistabishopbautista Posts: 5Member
    If you look at the second image I drew an arrow showing the drop shadow looking blur. I remember this lens being tack sharp but in this image you can see it's significantly worse than my 50mm lens. Plus as a portrait photographer I'm used to much sharper images where eye lashes and eye detail is very sharp and in focus, with this lens I no longer can get a very clean focused eye or lashes.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Due to the lack of EXIF data, I have to ask:

Were you using a tripod? Looks like motion blur in the vertical direction to me. I'd check to see if the VR switch was clicked all the way on and make sure you gave the lens time for the VR to work before releasing the shutter. If you were using a tripod, then maybe your lens has had a knock (?) so I'd send it off for a check over.
    Always learning.
    If you look at the second image I drew an arrow showing the drop shadow looking blur. I remember this lens being tack sharp but in this image you can see it's significantly worse than my 50mm lens. Plus as a portrait photographer I'm used to much sharper images where eye lashes and eye detail is very sharp and in focus, with this lens I no longer can get a very clean focused eye or lashes.
    yea VR was on and on a tripod for these tests. A knock, I suppose thats a possibility. OK so you think it I should send it into Nikon for recalibration?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Before sending the lens in I would suggest doing tests at the 70mm, 135mm, and 200mm focal lengths, wide open of course, using a flash to eliminate camera shake, VR on and also VR off,

Make certain you have not changed lenses with the camera powered on. Also, that the lens is fully locked in.

Try magnified live view to focus the lens as accurately as possible.

Provide us with all the Exif data if possible. The opinions can then be based on more info. Oh, has it been dropped?

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    bishopbautista yea VR was on and on a tripod for these tests.
    VR should be OFF when on a tripod
    to avoide any chance of a knock use a 5 sec delay

OK I will do that, I do remember being able to hand hold my 70-200 and get much sharper images without having to use a tripod and a delayed shutter. As soon in the images the 50mm lens if much sharper with out the halo effect. I'm thinking if that's what I will need to do to get a sharp image there is still a problem and won't really help me out at a wedding or fashion portrait shoot. I will try testing at multiple focal length as suggested and post above.

I don't recall dropping the lens or bumping it but I do travel extensively and I suppose it may have occurred without my knowledge.

What's the best way to post exif data here:

Thank again!

-Bishop Bautista
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    OK I will do that, I do remember being able to hand hold my 70-200 and get much sharper images without having to use a tripod and a delayed shutter. As soon in the images the 50mm lens if much sharper with out the halo effect. I'm thinking if that's what I will need to do to get a sharp image there is still a problem and won't really help me out at a wedding or fashion portrait shoot. I will try testing at multiple focal length as suggested and post above.

-Bishop Bautista
    For test shots to evaluate your problem we recommend to try to exclude any chance of motion blur to see the net performance of the lens. This condition is best achieved if you use a tripod, VR off, and 10 sec timer or remote release.
    In day to day shooting your the 70-200 is an excellent performer and, if all settings on the lens and camera are right, you are getting ultra sharp images hand-held.
    So stay cool and let the experts here on the forum help you to analyze your problem.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
    Have you got the sharpening set too high causing a phenomena called ringing which usually is on one side.
    The easiest way to get Exif data is to post to Flickr, making certain you have given permission for the data to be seen by the public. Then post the image here as instructed http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day#Item_118
    So, once we can see all this stuff, there may be an answer.
    Also, tell us how you are post processing the images if any.
    Msmoto, mod
    If you need a tripod and a 5 sec delay to get a sharp picture its time to put it in the bin...its a VR lens for gods sake ...up ..focus ..click ...next
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Never had much luck shooting in AF-A mode. There is another thread (What am I misunderstanding about AF and "auto" focus point? (BIF experts might know). Same issue I think.
    AF-A and P go together…. :))
    Msmoto, mod
    If the OP has marked this as answered then pray tell us what the answer was ....