Nikon Rumors Forum users map

PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
edited March 2013 in General Discussions
Moving another thread from the old forum (started by jonnyapple):

This is in response to the request to see where the users of NRF are around the world. I've created a map at google maps that anyone can edit. My pushpin is in the part of Idaho I live.

Put up a pushpin and make the title your username if you don't care about the rest of us knowing where you live. You could even just put a pin somewhere in the state/province/region/country where you live if you want to keep it more anonymous, but maybe you could mention that it's purposefully vague in the description.

Let me know whether it works or not. Edit: it looks like it's working.
Post edited by Msmoto on
admin | nikonrumors.com

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    The map is working for me, but, when I try to EDIT, it says I do not have permission, yet I can DELETE.

Also, there are two comment boxes, two font/content menus above the boxes.

And it posts the comment several times.

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    make sure you are logged-in in your Google account - it worked for me last night
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    Worked ok for me last night also. Its funny that there are two of us in Fort Collins, CO and no one else in the state. :)
    D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Just to remind people, this was actually not my idea. It was SkintBrit who suggested it.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • bjrichusbjrichus Posts: 23Member
    edited December 2012
    I am surprised we only have one member on the map from Japan; the original home of Nippon Kogaku (aka: Nikon).

Do Japanese Nikon users not like rumors?
    Post edited by bjrichus on
    Okay, here's a supplemental one similar to the users map. This is a map that you can add pins to and describe suggestions for good photo locations. I think it could be a good resource for people planning a trip. They could look at the map and see if there are nearby sites that NRF members know about. 

This way, we could have our own local photo location knowledge base pretty much anywhere in the world, based on what people have placed. Contribute if you're interested. Here's the link:

Post about places near you, places you have visited in person, or even places that are on your photographic travel bucket list.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What a brilliant idea Jonny.

Thanks.
    Always learning.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I like that this is back :D

Cool idea Johnny
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Here's something that makes those maps cooler: hover over the "Map" button in the upper-right part of the map and check "Photos". That adds the panoramio layer—which has photos uploaded to google and geotagged at locations all over the world.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Thank you. The map worked well for me too. Excellent concept for Nikon Rumors. If someone is traveling to a certain location and wanted to know where to get some great shots they could message a member to get pointed in the right direction which is valuable information. . 
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    johnnyapple your location map is a splendid idea. Three cheers and a thank you !!!
  • NeopulseNeopulse Posts: 4Member
    edited December 2012
    +1 Jonnyapple also have a place in Miami, FL.
    Post edited by Neopulse on
    D800 with Meike MB-D12 (Robbed)
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G (Robbed)
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Robbed)
  • bobonitbobonit Posts: 1Member
    Added to the map.  I grew up in the Boynton Beach - Lake Worth area, now hopefully I will be able to take some nice pictures of the places I used to hang out.
    D600
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    great idea with this map, just posted 3 locations there, will add more later. 
  • snoop85snoop85 Posts: 4Member
    Added myself. Not many in the London, UK area :(
    D800, SB910,
  • I 'am on it now, the 2e in Holland, I know there are a lot more out there.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
    Added my location... I'm close to Cambridge, MA. Not many around here :(
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Added my location, the very northern tip of the Denver metro area in Thornton, CO. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to add myself which is odd, considering I've actually taught classes on Google Maps and Google Earth... At any rate, there's only 3 of us in Colorado? Crazy considering I see several bald eagles at least a few times per week on my drive to work.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • ChrisPChrisP Posts: 2Member
    As this seems a very good way of knowing where members live I've added mine to the map.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2013
    Someone put me in the middle of Maine. I've changed it to NYC.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I was thinking that members ought to have to give their zip code and then be automatically inserted on the members map. :-B
    Always learning.
    edited January 2013
    I was thinking that members ought to have to give their zip code and then be automatically inserted on the members map. :-B
    Sounds like a good idea... but what about our international members?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    It works on USA, English and French, so I assume it will work anywhere. :-?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Great idea, while you are at it tell people your address so they can come to your house and steal your gear. :P
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Great idea, while you are at it tell people your address so they can come to your house and steal your gear. :P
    They don't have to use your zip code- they just need to hack Nikon Rumors, get your IP address and then find your location that way.

Scary enough for you? :D