Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head

NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
edited April 2014 in Other Manufacturers
Any comments on this gimbal head? Worth buying?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Induro heads are okay for the money. Only owned their mono pod head and sold it after two years for something better. When I was looking at ball heads for my tripod I skipped Induro because of the limited weight capacity. You have got to think about the future and I knew I would be buying a 200-500mm so I made sure it would handle a FC DSLR body + the 200-500mm lens.

I could not afford the RRS ball head and bought the Markins M20L. So really think ahead and buy something you will use for future DSLR + big lens. Too many people buy one and then two and finally a good tripod. They wind up spending as much money for all three tripods if they would have bought the good one to start with.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    Induro claims the GHB2 head will carry a 800mm lens. I can't see myself ever owning an 800. I'm looking at this to carry my 200-400. My Manfrotto ball head will carry the lens but the balance is is awful. I thought a gimbal head would do a better job.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I cannot state weather it is worth buying for any one else, but mine works extremely well. I use it regularly with the D4/400mm f/2.8, and adding the TC-14EII, or TC-20EIII it seems to do the job well. Locks in place easily, maintains very good balance, is well made, essentially a Wimberly knock off as best I can tell.

The only better one might be an RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head at $800

Or, http://www.promediagear.com/Katana-Gimbal-Head_p_8.html is one I played with a couple years ago… very nice at $750.

I would avoid the Manfotto "U" shaped head as it is IMO not worth the effort.
    Msmoto, mod
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    For what it's worth, I bought a Redged Gimbal: http://www.redged.com/rgc-4.html, as I tried a good few including the massively overpriced Wimberleys, and absolutely love it.
    Tremendously light but handles my 200-400, converter and D4s with ease.
    If you can get them in the States, take a look.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 44Member
    The SIRUI PH-20 is another one to look at. The carbon fiber body knocks about a pound off the weight. I have been using one about 10 months now with no complaints. The only other one i have experience with is the type one Wimberly. Cant go wrong with them.
    Www.timbersnakestudios.com
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I've been considering the Induro because I have the Induro CT314 legs and I quite like them. Maybe not quite as good as a Gitzo but darn close when I compare them to my Gitzo monopod. AFAICT, it is as Msmoto said. The Induro gimbal is a Wimberly knock-off. The build quality looks good and the three reviews I found, were very positive about the head. I have no experience with their ball heads. I've never used one.
    Yes, Induro is nice. I love my CT213 legs…and am looking at the CT414. I am a believer in very heavy tripods…have six at present…. Mmm…. TAS. Like NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)
    Msmoto, mod
    Yes, Induro is nice. I love my CT213 legs…and am looking at the CT414. I am a believer in very heavy tripods…have six at present…. Mmm…. TAS. Like NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)
    LOL, how does one person use six and possibly seven tripods?

Well, one is a video head unit from the 1960's….heavy, but extremely sturdy. A second one from the '60's is for a view camera, again heavy and sturdy. Then a Manfrotto monopod, small Manfrotto from several years ago, a Benro CT with Induro Gimbal Head, and the Induro CT with a Manfrotto head. All have been converted to ARCA Swiss clamps except the view camera head. Is this six? LOL

Oh, I have used two tripods with one camera setup. A lens test may have this so as to fully eliminate vibration artifact. Also, a long lens - long exposure may also have one on the body, one on the lens to create stability. And possibly 10-20 pounds of sand bags over the lens to reduce potential vibrations. Years ago I shot vey high budget commercial stuff and there was a zero tolerance for error...
    Msmoto, mod
    Well, I do see your reasoning. There is (I think) some connection between Benro and Induro? I say that because when I bought my Induro tripod from B&H, I also purchased two extra short center columns. The extra columns were Benro products. I plan on just swapping center columns with attached heads, giving me either the ball head or gimbal on the Induro legs.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    If you can, remove the center column and replace with a plate. The tripod will be much more rigid.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

I could but I prefer to have the center column feature even if I don't use it very often. I wouldn't say it is much more rigid but it is somewhat better. I think the main issue with a center column is to keep it down and locked down as much as possible. JMO
    We should all do what works for us, but a center column lockdown is a fulcrum for vibration. The tighter lockdown, will probably raise the frequency and lower the amplitude of vibration.

I was astonished at the difference the solid center plate made when I tried it.

Combos of long lenses and long exposures are where this matters most, but sensors like the d800 are brutally revealing.

I am lately using a D800e with 400/2.8 with tce-17II on an RRS Gimbal head, and everything matters.

The RRS long lens support also helps visibly because it supports the lens at two points. It is necessary on the 200-400/4 and helpful on the 400/2.8.

You are correct that not having a center column is a pain in the a** because I am constantly adjusting the legs for optimum height.

That is why we call them trade-offs, and we each decide what matters most to us.

Regards ... Harold
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

I do appreciate your comments Harold.

I am aware of many of the issues that you are referring to. Also, as you say, there are many trade-offs.

For me, when I get the gimbal, I'll be using three different center columns with attached heads on the same set of legs. It's easier to swap the column then move around heads.

The second issue is, I very often use the center column upside down in the legs for macro work.

I also plan on using my Nikon 1 V2 with the 200-400 + gimbal. Where the camera does not have a moving mirror and I'll be using electronic shutter, I'm not sure if I'll encounter all the issues of using my D800. I have to wait and see how this all works out. This is all trial by mistake for me. If necessary, I'll buy another set of legs.

Upside down work absolutely requires the center column, I do not do any serious macro and did not consider that.

If you can try the RRS long lens support on the 200-400, you will be astonished. It saved my lens from ebay, and it now performs like a $6000 lens. It is a scandal that Nikon cant get these supports right.

Regards .... Harold

If you can try the RRS long lens support on the 200-400, you will be astonished. It saved my lens from ebay, and it now performs like a $6000 lens. It is a scandal that Nikon cant get these supports right.
    If you look at the RRS web site it seems neither Nikon or Canon get the collar/foot right. I wonder why that is? You'd think they could at least have a longer foot? The balance point is no where close for my D800. Maybe the D4 will do it better?

Well I bought the gimbal. Yes, it was the Induro. My local selection was between the Wimberly or Induro. I played with both and I couldn't feel much difference. Both were smooth and frictionless. Both are made well but the Wimberly was an extra $100. The Induro is slightly heavier.

I also ordered the long lens support hardware, Harold. I looked at the RRS system and it is nice but as per RRS, on the expensive side. Instead, I bought the Sunwayfoto hardware. Not as nice but should do the same job.
    It looks identical to the RRS and it should work just as well.

Good hunting .... H

I think you will be happy with the Induro.

And, a note with the 400mm f/2.8…long exposure….Big tripod under lens as per usual. Smaller tripod under camera to avoid any vibrations, And, a sandbag from the tripod can be useful. Or, sandbag draped over the lens once adjustments have been initially made. Then double check.
    Msmoto, mod
    Thanks Msmoto.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
    I notice that Induro now has 25% off on your CT414. Might be a good time to buy?

Bought CT414 plus short post…nice!
    Msmoto, mod
    Bought CT414 plus short post…nice!
    Wonderful! I'm sure it will be your new best friend.

I see Induro has a new second line of tripods. Ones without the center column. I'm thinking about Harold's advice and I'm looking at the new CT505. Someone else said heavy tripods are good.
    http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-grand-induro-series-ep-carbon-8x-tripods-ct505.aspx

I'd like to see some reviews and have a bigger pocket book. I'll keep the CT314 because I still need that center column.

I used the new one this evening to shoot the Moon…. PAD. Worked as I wanted getting the camera overhead so I could use live view focus with minimal effort. I have the Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head on the top of the CT414 with the short post. If you look at the image I shot… 800mm at f/6.3, 1/250 sec, yet the image appears fairly good…due in part to the stiffness of the tripod/gimbal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/14141764566/sizes/o/
    Msmoto, mod
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Nice moon shot. I think you all have talked me into the Induro Gimble.