Heavy Duty Tripod Heads (and Panorama Heads)

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited June 2013
    just like the bubble levels only placebo
    I hear that quite often, but I've always used it blindly with no problems. I just measured mine with a (real/tool) water level, and it's exactly on track. Am I just lucky? Is yours off?
    So far, I was not lucky enough to find a single Manfrotto bubble level showing correct level. Not that's impossible, others can do ;)

Here's the level on the wrong place to be read the right way, from top. Doesn't matter, the result would be wrong anyway.

Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited June 2013
    @JJ_SO: You know my answer in which manufacture to go with....now don't you? Starts with an "R" versus a "B" :P
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited June 2013
    Yes, Mr. Salesman-in-the-very-next-future.

And the answer is, if they don't use imperial system screws, it starts to become worth to consider :P

So, your next job is hanging under a tripod and showing perfect bubble levels :D
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Quote from the RRS web site:
    "the main screw on our plates can be operated with either a US standard 5/32” or a metric 4mm hex key" and the majority of the rest of their fasteners use a 5/32 hex head. Their tripods ship with a tool kit.

Since the tripod screw will forever be a 1/4" SAE/UNC I don't really see the point. I would like to point out that the US Standard thread was introduced as a standard a full 34 years before the metric standard thread :P

Don't even get me started on Whitworth.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    And the sail ship was invented long before the steamers... But thanks, I didn't know that. The Gitzo traveler tripod needs a 3mm hex key, if you want to go low-level next to the ground. I should have one in each photobag because I usually forget it at home. I'm a fan of either simple or no tools if it comes to tripod handling. Those are tiny metal things, getting lost, scratching other less hard stuff.

Point is, I live in Europe, we have the metric system and I'm not going to get an exotic tripod at huge transport costs for a nice amount of money, just to have a fourth one. But I'm very happy for all RRS owners are happy users, that is a big compliment for them. Also, I find the design clever and aesthetic (and I'm not saying that about a lot of brands) and some solutions they make are great - but fixing the base plate with three screws in my eyes doesn't go into that category.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited June 2013
    @Ironheart: Take a really close look at the thread form of 1/4" UNC Vs 1/4" Whit then put a thread gauge on the thread of an OLD tripod thread. Modern tripods may have been b*stardised to 1/4" x 20, but the early ones were 1/4" Whit. Old large format tripods are all Whit because they are the only things of that age that are still around. :-B

Feet and inches, pounds and ounces and thread forms are what separates the USA form the rest of the world! Don't get me started on your bizarre low voltage high current electricity system! :)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

Be grateful you do not have to live with this system of inches, yards, rods and miles and....ounces, pounds, Cups and pints and gallons and OMG it is so confusing....if only the metric system were to be set by international agreement.....

But, I have worked on some of those Whitworth cars in the past....
    Msmoto, mod
    I am of the age where I was educated in the imperial system and then kindly they changed to the metric system when I started work... :(
    Always learning.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    So far, I was not lucky enough to find a single Manfrotto bubble level showing correct level. Not that's impossible, others can do ;)
    Wow! I just measured again, I indeed seem to be lucky: The level on the head is spot-on, while the level on my tripod (Manfrotto Triaut 058) is off in one dimension. Since I never really use the tripod level anyway, luckily this doesn't matter. But good to know, especially better than finding out after having ruined some shots because of that...
    @JJ_SO: You know my answer in which manufacture to go with....now don't you? Starts with an "R" versus a "B" :P
    Serious question, maybe this is common knowledge on NRF, but not for me yet: Do you work for these guys or are you affiliated with them?
    @FlowtographyBerlin: I have absolutely no affiliation with RRS. I'm just very impressed with their product line. I take the same stance with respect to all manufactures I put my hard earned money on. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Now THAT is funny - you know it is time to tone down the praise when people think you work for them! :P
    Always learning.
    typical salesmen behaviour :D
    After reading it a second time, I'm totally puzzled.
    Renro?
    Rilora?
    Renbo?
    Rerlebach?
    007, help me! :O
    @spraynpray: HeHe. Well when the topic is about tripods, heads, or items that are specific to them....yes I'm guilty of being on one side of the isle. But with good reason. Just think if the topic was about a strap or a backpack...I's sure each of us would sound like a salesmen or saleswoman. And so you know, I'm one hell of a salesmen....been told by many top-rank, successful CEO's. After all I to am a CEO myself. But I digress. :P

JJ_SO: Now the best way I can help you....which I would gladly do, is for you to please come to the States and I will show you first hand what is behind the R. A nice drive to S.L.O would be our first stop as we drive the cost of Cali. Just wait tell you see the areas on the West Cost to take some shot and put of gear to the test.
    As long as you allow me to bring a Gitzo... :-)) I still would love to see you swinging under yours.

A colleague came just back from a months trip from the west-coast and he was happy to be back. Told me he saw most of the photo-guys run around with a tripod like mine. Now you can choose: Big and chunky / Gitzo / dark grey carbon? I'm sure he saw something three legged. He has so much experience he managed to switch the G11 to the lowest quality... :O

I'm really sorry for him.
    A colleague came just back from a months trip from the west-coast […] He has so much experience he managed to switch the G11 to the lowest quality... :O

I'm really sorry for him.
    [off topic]

Once at an important family event a few years ago, I left my camera at home and instructed my dad to make use of his point & shoot properly. I made sure all the settings were correct and everything. He videotaped my little speech, too. I checked all the images and the video after the celebration, they were great.

A week later when I asked him to give me the files, the images were all 320x240 px. It turned out he had used "resize for emailing" setting upon importing to iPhoto or something, also used the "delete all imported files on the camera" option, and had forgotten to import the video.

What a nightmare.
    [/off topic]
  • ibecameweibecamewe Posts: 32Member
    Great Video Sharing by golf 007 that look great suggestion or the camera. All share great information about the Tripod head and Panorama head. it is very help to to the beginner.
    I have had a tripod for few years so far, I probably have used it under 10 times. It's an carbon fibber tripod with a basic ball head. coz I am going to Banff National Park in the coming Sept., I think it's a good chance to take some panoramic photos, having searching online for an hour, since there are too many out there, I just had no clue which one I should choose. Could anyone could give me some suggestion?
    Has anyone used any Acratech heads? They claim to have a ball head which is open and water and dirt will simply drop out and not be a problem. But, they also claim one can use the ball head instead of a gimbal..... I do not think I would be comfortable with 15 pounds of camera hanging out to the side about five inches off center unless special things were addressed like 15 pounds from the center column. And, if one has to carry extra sandbags, use a specialized gimbal head instead.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited June 2013
    "And, if one has to carry extra sandbags, use a specialized gimbal head instead.

I usually use my camera bag as a weight - it is usually heavier than 15lbs even with the body and a lens out of it.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Hauling your krugerrand's around?
    I wish! I spent Friday evening in London hauling the bag and my heavy tripod around for 6 hours in humid heat - I only walked 8 miles, but it felt like 80. Saturday morning found me looking at carbon fibre tripods and small bags so I can't take so much stuff around.

This thread may be useful to me yet!
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray: Not sure how many of the 8 mile walk involved photo taking, but sometimes for me when I'm going about and know that I will be in an area that has side walks and more or less paved paths, hence, no dirt roads or wildlife setting, I will take my Lowepro Pro Loller x200 with me to make my life easer in caring all my gear. Sure save ones neck so to speak.
    "Not sure how many of the 8 mile walk involved photo taking,"

All of it Golf. My friend said I should get a bag on wheels too, but he also called me a lightweight too - I suppose being a third my age, he would think that....

I can taste a CF tripod and decent head.
    Always learning.
    True confessions:

I was with a friend who was using a new RRS Gimbal and tripod. The cost of this set up is not small. Is it worth $300 more than my Induro gimbal? Without a question, if one has the money, it is clearly worth it. The adjustability is better, the overall smoothness of the knobs, slides, etc., is phenomenal. And, for panoramic photos, it has an adjustment not found on the Induro which allows the perfect pano reference point.

Shucks.....

Now, the RRS tripod has some advantages as well, but not as much as the gimbal head......
    Msmoto, mod