Heavy Duty Tripod Heads (and Panorama Heads)

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, I was able to use an Acratech head and it is sweet. Very well constructed, easy to use, smooth....I think the one I had in hand was capable of 15-20 pounds.
    Msmoto, mod
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited June 2013
    Well after researching things a bit, I am now sitting on the fence thinking of what I should do. I started reading other threads about our three legged friends and a few of the other links posted, great information.

I currently use a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 tripod and 498RC2 ball head for most things if I take a tripod. I also bought a smaller SIRUI tripod for travel purposes (think its labled like T-2005)). For my long lens I use the Manfrotto 393 monopod mount (to me it works like a gimble head but cheaper). I have the 681B monopod for hiking. Overall I have about 5 RC2 plates, at least 3 for my camera bodies and I think 2 for my lenses but I would have to go count them to be sure.

I got suckered into reading about the ARCA Swiss conversion thread and am now tempted to change my setup. The first thing I like is the option of an L-plate, I don't shoot portrait style very much but it would have been really handy recently (of course I might do it more if it was that easy to change between the two). The second thing I might look at changing is my gimble head mount, the Manfrotto works but I really wish I had something like the JOBU Pro2 that could lock with a flick of the switch. For me this would be great to use if I changed out a teleconverter or even the camera body itself. My current system is just not that easy to work with if I want to change something out.
    I admit I like keeping with one company for most of everything but not always the best way to do things, but then I would not have to worry about this plate from this company did not fit this or that. For gimble heads I like the JOBU Pro2 mostly for the locking feature with the flick of a lever. I am not sure if any other brands have that feature or not. The other gimble head I looked at is the RRS pano gimble head, I admit that I probably would not do many pano's but the option is there, plus this head comes apart so it might make it easier to travel with. I might be able to lock the RRS gimble head down by tighting it up but not sure how much an unbalanced load would cause problems later. Other options seem to be the tried and true Wimberly II head and I did not do much research for Kirk but have seen them listed a few times.

I think my ball head seems to be fine so long as I could change the mounting plate to the ARCA Swiss plate style. If not, then I am not sure if I want to mess with drilling or not, might be best to just sell it and get something with the ARCA swiss plate.

I see that RRS sells a lens foot for the 70-200 VRII but I didn't see one for the AFS 300mm F4 (correction, they sell a lens collar but you have to look deeper for it than Nikon, look under all to see this lens collar), I think Kirk sells a lens collar for this but again I have not researched it.

I like my tripod so I don't plan on changing this but don't mind looking at stuff with better features if it exist.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Post edited by scoobysmak on
    I have found since converting all to ARCA Swiss everything is so universal it makes the setup very smooth and very fast. All cameras on all tripods/heads...so sweet.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I put my D7K with new grip and 70-300 on my Slik head in Portait format last night - it struggled. I dismantled the head and improved it and it is better now, but it is clear it is operating near its limit. Oh-oh....
    Always learning.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Is Slik not offering an L-bracket?
    I believe Slik offers an "L" Bracket, but it is very cumbersome and is a universal unit, not custom fit. About $150.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited June 2013
    @spraynpray: Do you hear that? There is it again? What do you make of it? Their is something in winds and it is saying something...or is it a figment of my imagination? Really...what is it? Yah...Right? This Stuff is freaking me out? I think I'm just going to call....:P
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited June 2013
    Is it that windy tripod dealer again...?

:D
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Now either you stop that or pass the hat around so I can get the necessary to buy one! :o3

The decision is not Really Really Simple! :D
    Always learning.
    But it won't be really really stupid, either.

on this side of the planet wind is wispering sssssssiiiruiiii - but I realized a fat translation mistake: while the German sites of Sirui are blablahing of "sealed" D-lock rings, the English sites are talking about silicone D-lock rings. Of course, silicone can be used to seal, buuuuut... :-@
    You both Really...Really, need to Stop. :)>-
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited June 2013
    12kg load capacity, Arca-swiss compatible - and manfrotto?

Yes, they can (and I didn't know...)

clamp and plate can be ordererd separately
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    @JJ_SO

Three cheers for Manfotto.......on the new Q6 Top Lock quick release
    Msmoto, mod
    better late than never
    Oh, I also sent Manfotto an email asking about the issues of all the Manfrotto heads going ARCA Swiss....and they suggested that not all their heads would be ARCA Swiss......

I would guess the process of transition would be one to sell the current inventory, then gradually move to a universal mount so as to become more user friendly....only my suggestion....
    Msmoto, mod
    You mean, all YOUR heads going Arca swiss? ;)

I don't know of more transitions than your's and I believe, in total numbers of sales there are still much more RC2 out in the wild than Arca Swiss, at least in Europe, were Arca is expensive and rare to find (in normal shops) and Manfrotto is all over the place.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2013
    It's funny you say that JJ_SO considering that Arca-Swiss is a Swiss company. :D

Some brands that make Arca-Swiss compatible products (RRS/Kirk) might not be as available since they are made in the US. From what I heard Acra-Swiss stuff is common in some parts of France, but not so much in Northern Europe. I know a German fellow who switched to Acra-Swiss gear and he had to go to France to get the gear.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    It was, once... Actually the heads are produced in France and the address in Switzerland is more or less just a letterbox - they don't have a valid phone-number, as far as I know. While photo-gear usually is cheaper to buy in Switzerland, the Arca-"Swiss" stuff is cheaper to import from Germany than to get it in Switzerland.

When I was looking for an Arca-Swiss website, first I got were several enterprise informations, when and how Arca was renamed, reformed, other guys as CEO - they have experienced some stormy times, I guess. I'd say, Arca is no more Swiss than Gitzo French. They had French partners before, but now it appears, it's a French-only brand. Doesn't have to be a bad thing, they just still demand "Swiss-prices" for their stuff.
    edited July 2013
    I hate this crappy website!
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    Sorry about the website....

Here are four of my heads,
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/136/arca-swiss-conversions-of-tripod-heads/p1

I have one more gimbal with ARCA Swiss, and then two old tripods with just a screw on the head.
    Msmoto, mod
    I think, Safari and this forum software are not best friends, sorry. I just added an edit an it ended with a double post and lost edit, sigh.

Yes, I know you converted your heads. And who else? Manfrotto is one of the most popular brands around here. Literally there are dozens of Manfrotto dealers, if the want to get the high-price paying customer they offer Gitzo. But Arca is really difficult to get and I know only one dealer who has some of their heads on display.

You should make a Europe trip and convert those Manfrotto dealers. And bring @Golf007sd with you and a container of RRS :D
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @JJ_SO it's not just Safari, I've seen that happen with all main stream browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited July 2013
    i must say, I've never that kind of problems when I'm on PC in the office.

Anyway. It's Arca France in Nimês and in Bésançon: http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/
    They have one of the worst video presentations I've seen so far: http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/arca-swiss-gamme-rotules.wmv First it starts okay but when the old guy takes the lead, he's incredibly unfocused ^#(^ Still, they have a great system with their rails an monoballs.

And that one is the German guy for Arca: http://www.arca-shop.de/
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    edited July 2013
    A good video to illustrate the No Parallax Point for panorama photography.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,338Member
    I recently converted my Manfrotto 498 ball head and 410 gear head to Arca-Swiss using the Hejnar kits. Dead simple. Everything seems to work fine so far.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]