Experience /w RRS tripods

Comments

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Shallow freshwater beach in Lake Huron.

I do the same with my RRS, only use the last section. But I have also bought decent black garbage bags and put the legs in them to get a poor(er) man's waterproof tripod for salt water and silty water.

Being able to do this is why I can never recommend a cheapy tripod...
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The Gitzos have some grease in their threads which lets the grains stick extra long :| . In that aspect, the Berlebach wooden tripod was way better - and way heavier... But now that I know, I only extend the last section into water.
    It's why Gitzo introduced a new series of water resistant tripods (ocean or sea series IIRC).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I was already talking about that one page before ;)

It just doubles the price. So either way paying 2000 and more $ for the legs only or get 5 Sirui set of legs which also are "sealed D-lock rings". That keeps me very interested, I just didn't play around with such a Sirui tripod but am seriously considering of riding a trip to the shop.

Nonetheless, the Ocean series - as overpriced as it is - is difficult to get in stock, the dealer here told me. Especially the Systematic series, he gets only between one and three pieces in one go but could sell more. Must hurt him, because there has to be a real huge benefit in for him. It's about time, Gitzo gets a serious competitor more - especially, because Sirui not only is cheaper but also puts more parts in the package: bag, short center columns is something you waste extra cash at Gitzo's.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited July 2013
    Xmas came early this year:)

I just received a BIG package of RRS gear, and for you RRS geeks out there, we're talking Versa 2 w. QC and leveling base, as well as a monopod. Rockclaws for all... Flash bracket with a bunch of adapters, hot shoes, and accessories. Finally the collar for the 80-400mm. Basically I will be spending the next days getting used to it all:)

With my existing heads, L-frames, etc., I am now entirely converted from Manfrotto to RRS. Now it needs to prove its value in the quality of my pictures, and my joy in working with it:)
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Enjoy the new goodies and I (we) are all looking forward in seeing your work.

I'm personally interested on your thoughts on the flash bracket...which model did you go with?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I went with the WPF-QR2, and a few extras (cold shoe brackets, adapter for SC-29, and a few QR mounts for various accessories). I especially like it is so compact that it will not stay at home when out'n'about...
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member

The advantage of using RRS products is its: modularity. That is to say, each of their gear is designed to work throughout their entire line. Take for example their TA-2-LC Versa 2 Leveling Base w/ Clamp. One quick release of the clamp and anything above it comes off. In my case at the moment is the BH-40 which has the TH-DVTL-40 for easy removal. It is my intention to get their VG-02 gimbal head once it is available so that I can easily switch from one head to the other. This video illustrates what I'm taking about.
    I am in a debate looking at the Versa 2 or Versa 3 tripods. I see the TA-2-LC Versa 2 leveling base supports 35 Lbs but the Versa 3 leveling base will not slip having less than 25 Lbs. How you read "support" Vs "will not slip" makes a difference but not sure why a tripod that holds 50 Lbs wouldn't have a leveling base that supported more than the Versa 2 tripods and leveling base combination. I like the Versa 3 leveling base just because I believe it would be more "steady" for a lack of a better term. I am 6' and was looking at the Versa 24L, leveling base, but I think I like the BH-55 ball head better but honestly want to try one out in person before I commit to that. I will say the BH-55 has the same leveling clamp as the current gimbal head. The heaviest camera/teleconverter/lens/gimbal head combination I would use probably is less than 20 Lbs but add a few flashes or extra goodies that RRS sells and you might find yourself at the max. Just wondering opinions.
  • sidewayssideways Posts: 54Member
    I recently bought the RRS ground level / table top tripod. It's rated at 50 lbs, massively strong and stable yet fairly compact and not stupidly heavy. I like the hard anodised finish and the build quality is just as good as everyone says. I plan to use it with an acratech head. They complement each other very nicely.
    edited July 2013
    scoobysmak: Good question on the leveling base. I would call RRS on this before you make a move. Having said that, I do not see how the weight would be an issue given that both the TA-2-LC & TA-3-LC leveling bases are firmly mounted on the apex of the tripod itself.

As for the tripod in relation to your hight the TVC-24L or TVC-33 will both work just fine. However, I'm on the side of having a tripod with less legs extension...it allows for a faster setup and break down. Keep in mind when you add the ball-head and a leveling base, the legs will not need to be full extended to shoot. The Quick Column also comes in handy in more ways than one.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    For what it's worth I have now played around with it all, and the only thing I now realize I did not need is actually the TA-2-LB leveling base.

With the TA-2-QC QC on the TVC-24L tripod, and the BH-40 LR ball head, I have enough movement in the camera that I do not need the leveling base.

I leave it off for now, and who knows, maybe I figure out a way to use it...

BTW - the LC-A13, collar for the new Nikon 80-400mm, is absolutely fantastic!
    Killerbob: the TA-2-LB will come in handy when the ground surface you are on is not level (ie sand or lose soild) or when you hike and are placing you tripod on some rock and need to level you body. Trust me keep it on and as you go out shooting in the different terrain it will come in handy big time.
    Golf007sd: Wouldn't I just adjust for that using the ball head?
    edited July 2013
    Killerbob: No. Try this to see what I mean. With you body mounted on your tripod go ahead and find some steps. Next setup the tripod so that at least on or two legs are on the same plane while the other is on another step. Then try to level the body without the TA-2-LB and you will find it is very time consuming and difficult to get the one or two legs in the right hight to have a perfectly level shot. While with a quick turn of the TA-2-LB you can level the unit by loosening it and making the proper adjustment.
    Don't get me wrong, I know what the leveling base will do for me, but I guess it'll all come down to field experience. I'll try that out tomorrow as I an venturing into the mountains again...
    edited July 2013
    Ok good....there is no substitute for field test. It will specially come in handy for those HDR shots we have been talking about. ;)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Same here, always wipe down the legs after exposure to dirt, sand, water, or snow. The number of people I have seen that don't take care of their equipment is huge. Guess they have deep pockets to replace equipment.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    scoobysmak: Good question on the leveling base. I would call RRS on this before you make a move. Having said that, I do not see how the weight would be an issue given that both the TA-2-LC & TA-3-LC leveling bases are firmly mounted on the apex of the tripod itself.

As for the tripod in relation to your hight the TVC-24L or TVC-33 will both work just fine. However, I'm on the side of having a tripod with less legs extension...it allows for a faster setup and break down. Keep in mind when you add the ball-head and a leveling base, the legs will not need to be full extended to shoot. The Quick Column also comes in handy in more ways than one.
    I agree but the reason I like a taller tripod is when the ground is not level around me, I can set up on a hill side and be near eye level and not have to bend over to some weird position). I also like to travel, most 4 leg extension tripods are more compact than their 3 extension brothers. Set up time is the price I will pay for this, usually I find myself not extending the 4th extension, makes it just as fast but its there when needed.
    edited July 2013
    I agree but the reason I like a taller tripod is when the ground is not level around me, I can set up on a hill side and be near eye level and not have to bend over to some weird position). I also like to travel, most 4 leg extension tripods are more compact than their 3 extension brothers. Set up time is the price I will pay for this, usually I find myself not extending the 4th extension, makes it just as fast but its there when needed.
    Your reasoning are fully valid and I understand your choice in going with a 4 sectional tripod. There have been a few times were I too had to support the tripod on a rock with one leg while the other two were on the surface below...this happened while I was shooting at Joshua Tree Natural Forest.

The TVC-24L is light, made to last a lifetime, and performs like a champ....and it is sexy :P Add the BH-55 and you have a complete package.

Not sure how far you are from San Luis Obispo, but I think that is the best way to get your hands on one. Having owned the TVC-23 and the BH-40, I can tell you will find all your expectations meet...plus one.

Happy shopping...
    edited July 2013
    Well I went a head and called about the Versa 2 Vs the Versa 3 debate with the leveling clamp. The answer was the following:
    "Honestly we should take the weight description off the website but some users need a reference to compare to other products on the market. The Versa 3 locking mechanism for the Versa 3 series leveling base can not hold as much torque so when you take your tripod and throw it over your shoulder with the camera attached it is more likely to slip. But, because of the design of the Versa 3 series leveling base, the weight is held more in the bowl of the base and since the pressure is at or below the top mounting plate it won't require nearly as much pressure to hold (lock in) the same weight. Also due to the nature of the design, the Versa 3 series is not affected as much by vibrations or external forces creating a steadier setup." (not exact quote but basically what was said)

I look at the Versa 3 series as placing a basket ball on top of your standard size (round metal) office garbage can. The Versa 2 series is like placing the same basket ball on top of a drinking glass. Try to stand on both and see which one you can balance on the best (extreme example but what went running in my mind).

I did find out some bad news in this but after what he told me it might not matter anyway. I should use the Versa 3 series tripod due to frequently using a "land cannon" type of lens (10Lbs + for the lens alone). With the weight of the gimbal head and camera/lens combination, the Versa 3 series is recommended for that use.

Post edited by scoobysmak on
    edited July 2013
    The Versa 3 locking mechanism for the Versa 3 series leveling base can not hold as much torque so when you take your tripod and throw it over your shoulder with the camera attached it is more likely to slip.
    Thanks for the info. I'm kinda scratching my head however, with respect to the "slip". One has to question with what lens & body combination this could happen...ie a D4, D3x with 400 2.8, 500, 600 or 800mm? I saw (and talked) to a photographer with the D3x & 200-400 on a TVC-23 & PG-02 at the Miramar Air show last year as he was walking from point-to-point without any issues.

Having said that, I can see the logic behind their recommendation:

TVC33-02
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @scoobysmak

"land cannon" type of lens....yes, I understand this....and, throwing these "over the shoulder" will almost always cause the ball head, or monopod head to slip unless one really tightens it down more than is good for it (my experience). I suspect this is why one rarely sees a pro with anything but the lens mounted directly to the monopod... 400mm f/2.8 and longer lenses....oh well...
    Msmoto, mod
    edited July 2013
    When I talked to the sales rep, slip in his terms meant movement from where you set it. If you took a 400mm F2.8 and tossed it on your shoulder he said its going to slip from where you set it at (and of course I will be calling the hospital because I probably hit myself in the back of the head with it). Since you moved the tripod you need to re-level the leveling base anyway unless your shooting on totally flat ground (not the normal). He said the most it could slip is 15 degrees anyway, it would not break but just wouldn't be where you left it before you picked the setup and placed it on your shoulder.

Once you put the tripod back down you have to level it again anyway. Since this design has a better center of gravity the force to hold it steady is much less than other leveling bases.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
    Using my monopod I will occasionally "throw it over my shoulder", camera still mounted. I find the L-frame on the D800/MBD-12, mounted on the MH-02 LR monopod head such a solid combination, I do not worry.
    Well I purchased a few items to start my conversion, I must say that from what I have seen their customer service is one of the best I have encountered in a long time.

Overall a well made product but its not cheap on the pocket (honestly with the customer service I got and playing with it for a few days I don't mind spending the little extra).

The one thing I wish they did carry is an L plate for a D200 without the battery grip and an L plate for an F5. I will now have to wait and find these used. For the mean time I have a couple of generic bottom plates so I can use a tripod or monopod now.
    Hi scoobysmak,

I think Kirk carries that L-Plate, and they are Arca standard so should work fine on your RRS gear.