Lawsuit Regarding D600 Sensor Spots

Comments

• dcanningdcanning Posts: 9Member
    If anything does come out of this, I hope it will apply to Nikon Canada as well.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    I wish the same lawyers took up some of the issues I have with my Ford Explor(d)er :)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Well said Don. +1
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    There are clearly some very disgruntled D600 owners here on NRF
    Out of interest, have any of you contacted Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein?
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    ...is a about a dozen ND filter short of f1.4.
    I just have to give you an golf clap for that one. Never heard that one before.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    KR may not be a world class photographic expert
    but when doing a Google search on cameras and lenses, he seems to be pretty hot on SEO
    he also appears to be quite good at earning a bob or two, at what he does
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    KR may not be a world class photographic expert
    but when doing a Google search on cameras and lenses, he seems to be pretty hot on SEO
    he also appears to be quite good at earning a bob or two, at what he does
    Guess he reckons his credibility is worth the sacrifice ...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited February 2014
    Well is seem the case has been filed
    http://www.williamlise.jp/D600_3-14-cv-00764.pdf

what I find interesting is the following, from their Introduction

The Internet is saturated with consumer complaints arising from the
    D600’s defect and falsely promoted picture-taking qualities

Living in the UK, I have no expectance of the Law California or the USA ( and to be honest limited experience of UK Law)

but I am a bit surprised that complaints on the internet ( often anonymous) can be used in Law suit

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    You can use any sort of evidence in a lawsuit. The questions is whether it will be admitted in court and if so, how much weight it will be given.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2014
    And Nikon answers before it can even come to court.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.

Affected Products: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Cameras

Some users of Nikon’s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D- SLR cameras.

The solution: Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.
    To have your D600 camera serviced free of charge please follow the steps below:

1) Click on the Schedule Free Service link [above].

2) On the following pages, you will need to provide the serial number of your D600 camera and your contact information.

3) Then, you will be prompted to create and print your pre-paid UPS return label and packing slip.

4) In shipping, please secure the D600 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with several inches of quality packing material on all sides of the D600 camera. Please send your D600 camera and packing slip only. Do not include any lenses, batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Please do not ship in the original display box (It will not be returned).

5) Drop the shipping box off at any UPS facility. (Visit https://www.ups.com/dropoff for hours and locations.) You may also arrange to have your shipment collected by a UPS driver. Nikon will notify you by email when your D600 has been received at Nikon’s repair center. Nikon will notify you by email when the service is complete and ship your D600 camera back to you free of charge via UPS Ground.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That's a load of hooey. Nikon say:

"Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used."

Which is saying they are normal and unavoidable, but then they say:

"We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs."

If it is normal and related to all those other variables, then why do they not apologise for spots on all their other products and offer the same remedial course of action for them? The answer is because they do not get them. Some owners that have posted here say they have always used the same lens so that can be ignored as a reason anyway. As for the high speed parts, if that was the case, then why does the D4 not get them worse as it has higher speed parts?

If they deleted almost all of the paragraph starting "Some users" then I would say OK,better late than never, but why did it take a lawsuit to get what is only a fair and a minimum course of action?

No, they are going to get spanked for this I reckon.
    Always learning.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

It is too late for me, I had a horribly bad D600 but was finally able to return it, but I am very glad that D600 owners are getting some relief. I hope that this fixes things once and for all for them! There were reports, here and elsewhere, from people who had the shutter replacement and still had oil/debris problems right after. Let's hope this is a full fix.

edited February 2014
    The head line

Nikon USA will fix the dust/oil issue in all D600 cameras

seems a bit misleading. Nikon have said

It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used.

• ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    That Service Advisory specifies that even cameras out of warranty can be sent for servicing. Should we understand that if one is not the original owner still gets the service free of charge?
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

What do you call a D600 -- 'Exhibit A'.

At least it has found a use.

My best,

Mike

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes this is an impressive development replacing the censor completely. Talk about being late though nearly 2 years after the fact...

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/02/25/nikon-usa-will-fix-the-dust-issue-in-all-d600-cameras-even-those-out-of-warranty.aspx/#more-72932
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    At least this will protect the resale value for D600 owners.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes for sure, and D600 bodies can be had for as little as $1300 from what I have seen so a great deal on a FX body. Problems aside it still is an excellent camera and now in the US you can get your senor overhauled for free even if the warranty has expired! I would like to pick up one later this year perhaps as a good second body for my system hopefully.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2014
    At least this will protect the resale value for D600 owners.
    It's way too late for that. Used D600's are going for what, $999-1100. That's already a net loss of almost $900. I've never seen a Nikon body loose value that quickly before. D90's are going for half the original sale value 5 years after the release. The D600 isn't even two years old yet!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2014
    I guess I should have said "remaining resale value" :-S
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes this is an impressive development replacing the censor completely. Talk about being late though nearly 2 years after the fact...

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/02/25/nikon-usa-will-fix-the-dust-issue-in-all-d600-cameras-even-those-out-of-warranty.aspx/#more-72932
    Shutter Kanuk, not sensor.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2014
    Used D600's are going for what, $999-1100.
    which at half the price of a New D61O, means if you are thinking of upgrading to FX a S/H D600, is a bargain

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    It would appear this applies to second owners:
    "The solution: Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired)."

It does not say "all original owners" so maybe purchasing a used D-600 (exhibit A) and sending it in to Nikon would get someone a refurbished camera for ….oops, not down to $1,000 for used yet…LOL. It looks like the used market is still about $1400… IMO too much for "exhibit A"….thanks Mike….. :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi all,

@Msmoto - that would be a crapshoot. Buying _any D600_, that is - you don't know where it has been or really, what Nikon will do with it.

The D600 right now is Nikon's unwanted orphan. I wouldn't buy it (again) on a dare.

My best,

Mike

edit - that would should be a wouldn't ...

I think the D600 has a voodoo curse or some toxicity to it, and considering there is a D610 that seems to be working pretty good, by bother with a poorer performing, or at the very, very best, a questionable performing camera?
    Post edited by MikeGunter on
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member

Subject
    D600 Service Advisory

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (E.D.) 02/26/2014 02:55 PM
    Hi Mihai,

Thank you, for contacting Nikon Canada Inc.

Thank you.
    Response Via Email (E.D.) 02/26/2014 12:12 PM
    Hi Mihai,

Is there is no additional damage to the camera, we will service the advisory issues free of charge.

Regards,

The Nikon Team
    Customer By Web Form (Mihai Damian) 02/26/2014 11:29 AM
    Hi

Please clarify what "We will take a look at it under the advisory" means. Is the camera going to be serviced free of any charge?

Thank you.
    Response Via Email (E.D.) 02/26/2014 10:43 AM
    Hi Mihai,

Please provide return address, postal code, telephone number, and product serial number.

We will take a look at it under the advisory

Regards,

The Nikon Team
    Customer Via Email (Entered by R.M.) 02/26/2014 10:40 AM
    Hi

I own a D600 and it shows spots (not removable with a blower). I am not the original owner. Am I getting free of charge service for this issue as per your Technical Service Advisory on February 25, 2014?

Thank you for your time.
    BEN (Mihai)

Question Reference #140226-000346
    Product Level 1: Digital SLR
    Product Level 2: D600
    Category Level 1: Service/Repair Information
    Category Level 2: Service Advisory
    Date Created: 02/26/2014 10:40 AM
    Last Updated: 02/26/2014 02:55 PM
    Computer OS:
    Nikon Software:
    CF Card: