Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @ccchuck: As heartyfisher said, go with the Canon if that is what you need. If I started with photography now instead of five years ago I would probably buy the 7D Mark II.

@Ironheart and others:
    Lots of great information! I didn't think about that it is easier to make a fast shutter for dx cameras. That's one more dx advantage to put on the list. Can we conclude that it is possible to make a pro dx camera with 8 fps and 24 mp?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    It is even easier for a mirrorless, particularly now that phase detect elements can be embedded in the sensor.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I queried a former head of IEEE about all this stuff....... and I have no idea what he said.. :))

I think it was something like the difference between 12 bit and 14 bit is not really that significant, but the number of pixels, e.g., 16 MP in a D4 vs 36 MP in a D800 is where the speed is truly affected simply as the number of "blocks" of information is so much greater with 36 MP.

Or I may have this all screwed up, but that is where the fun begins.... still... :))

So, if we have a total of 24 MP on a DX sensor, this would be able to transfer faster than 36 MP on an FX thus the concept of a DX pro body to capture BIF for example, would be very nice as opposed to 36 or if the same pixel density of 24 on the DX is used on FX, 54 MP.

Oh, an update... my friend the engineer states the Expeed 4 is a parallel processor and that any generalizations about speed cannot really be made as the multiple processors are doing different things all simultaneously.... and only Nikon knows exactly how this works. I think what all this means is that the discussion and arguments on all this is IMO not germane to much of anything regarding a pro crop sensor body from Nikon. For all I know an Expeed 4.1 or 5 may be the next thing. Mmmm....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yebbut the 7D2 shutter can go fast, and the camera isn't that expensive and Canon aren't worried about it taking sales from their top bods.... :-/
    Yebbut, the 7DM2 is a DX shutter, so it's easier to make it go fast, no reason Nikon can't do it. I want to point out that the D300s went 8fps, but was only rated for 150k clicks. Clearly the tradeoff was speed vs. durability. I'm proposing that a new DX shutter could go 8-10fps for 200k snaps, and it would be cheaper than doing the same for FX. This point shouldn't be controversial.
    I offered that post as support for Nikon being able to make a D400 at 9-10fps at the price level of the D750 and not lose sales to the D4s. Also I read some stats which said the 7D is one of the most reliable camera bodies out there.
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

I offered that post as support for Nikon being able to make a D400 at 9-10fps at the price level of the D750 and not lose sales to the D4s. Also I read some stats which said the 7D is one of the most reliable camera bodies out there.
    Frankly Nikon shouldn't care about one of their cameras eating sales of one of their other cameras...someone is still buying Nikon and contributing to Nikon's bottom line. Its when people stating talking like the posts above where they are fed up waiting for a D400 and buy Canon or Olympus or Sony, etc. that really hurts Nikon.
    Apple did not give 2 sheets about cannibalizing their own product sales when they introduce something new and neither should Nikon. At this point, they should just be happy that someone is still buying Nikon cameras.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Agreed, and at the price of the D4s, if people can afford the 6K to buy it, they'll buy it. That is to say their thinking isn't; ' oh dear, no D400 - never mind, I'll buy a D4s instead'!
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    D400 - never mind, I'll buy a D4s instead'!
    If you are indeed a profession photographer, wanting a Nikon with 10 fps, that indeed will be your thinking

Ah yes but, what about the 7d2 ?

Well, the pro will say, as I have invest over 30 K in Nikon gear , I really don't want to spent another 30K on new Canon stuff

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,715Member
    It is good to hear the speed of Expeed 4 is not set in stone.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    It is set in silicon
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Me too, although I have to admit I have "seen it around the bend" for years now!
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited March 2015
    Yep. Here it comes. I think I see it rounding the bend.
    I think I see it too. 12 fps with AF tracking and that amazing sensor with high DR we all love...
    Wait. What's that, it's labeled "Sony" on that camera and has some weird 77 with a ii. :D

I joke. I kid. it really does not matter. At the end of the day no amount of tech is really going to compensate for the photographer. I think that in a nutshell is what you are really trying to say... go out and shoot and be happy already and quit waiting for a tomorrow that never comes.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    The Pro DX is well within Nikon's capability.. either they don't want to or its in the works.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited March 2015
    The Pro DX is well within Nikon's capability.. either they don't want to or its in the works.
    It is simply they do not believe that such a camera, would give them a sensible return on the R&D manufacture, marketing and distribution of such a product
    Tom Hogan in today's blog when commenting on the D7200: "I’ve written it before and I still believe it: Nikon will eventually replace the D300s with an updated model. Let’s hope they do it soon."
    No, but I don't think Tom Hogan is a silly fool either. He is very knowledgeable. Remember, Tom is the person who said prototypes of the D5 were now out in the world being tested by some photographers (maybe he is one of them) and that it will have some surprises which he could not disclose. I don't think those comments of his about the D5 were "baseless assertions and wishful thinking." Tom also said Nikon was not yet fully satisfied with the sensor for the D400. I don't know where he got that information. Not everyone who believes a D400 will arrive should be belittled as foolish or irrational or stupid. Nor should everyone who believes a D400 will never arrive be belittled as foolish or irrational or stupid. It is fair to say at this point the "weight of the evidence" tilts the balance against a D400.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    While I think Thom Hogan is knowledgeable he's being saying the same thing about the D300s successor since 2011. "It will come this summer," or "It will be here this fall, for sure." "Oh Nikon delayed it, till next summer." It's gotten old, and frankly just comes across as a cop out to make him look better.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2015
    I have been looking at the D7200 specs and it feels to me that they have not pushed it into the 7DM2 arena at all. Nikon has said that they will compete with the 7DM2 and the D7200 does not. So that leaves room for a D300s replacement. Even if they just stuck the new sensor and processor in the D300 body it would be acceptable to many.. but I am sure Nikon will want to put the 8 years gap to good use and properly trump the 7DM2 like the 7D did to the D300. The 7D arrived more than 2 years after the D300.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I was excited when I herd of D9300 last year. but now my reaction would be like "Meh"... I guess I have the change of heart Since D7200's introduction. Believe me D7200 is NOT a pro camera. but it has enough features and spec bumps from D700 and D7100 to satisfy the former D400/D9300 dreamer like me content for next 3 years or so. Would there be a Pro DX Body from Nikon? May be. My guess would be it will be very unlikely. It would be very funny to see those who bought D7200 comeback and moan and bitch about how Nikon pulled the fast one and made us buy D7200 when they announce the D9300 in November. but Sadly that won't be the case either... :))
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    Meh? MEH ? its going to be so awesome you will think why would anyone buy a D4 or D810 !!

edited March 2015
    Thom Hogan I’ve written it before and I still believe it: Nikon will eventually replace the D300s with an updated model.

I think Thom is behind the times

Nikon already have. It is called the D750 and is by all accounts, a very big improvement on the D300s

( the D300s was a budget D700 the D750 is a budget D810)

But he is correct in saying "a number of Nikon fans will be disappointed."

but they were, when Nikon replace the great D700 with the even better D800

as ever; just IMHO, others will disagree

Lots of different opinions held for lots of different reasons and they are all interesting.
    . Nikon has said that they will compete with the 7DM2 and the D7200 does not.
    If you only have $1,200 and a bag of Nikon lenses the D7200 competes rather well
    edited March 2015
    Do I think there is a higher chance that a company like nikon wont lie on public record? Yes I would belief that..

Do you think the D7200 competes well with the 7DM2 .. really ? sorry I wont ask that.. It is obvious that the D7200 does not compete with the 7Dm2.

And regarding how much Nikon cares! LOL .. I doubt nikon or canon cares that you don't think there is a need for a Pro DX either .. not that its relevant at all to any of this .. :-)

Let me ask you guys who think there wont be a Pro DX camera. Why do you think a Pro DX wont appear? It seem pretty obvious that there will be one..
    1) Bec its not here yet? but its here .. its called the D300S and the 7D and 7Dm2 and Pentax K3 etc...
    2) I don't know what other reasons there are for you guys to think there wont be one .. please enlighten us.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

. Nikon has said that they will compete with the 7DM2 and the D7200 does not.
    If you only have $1,200 and a bag of Nikon lenses the D7200 competes rather well
    LOL by that logic the D7200 competes well with the D4S too .. .. no not accepted. :-)

edited March 2015

LOL by that logic the D7200 competes well with the D4S too .. .. no not accepted. :-)

Laugh if you like
    Yes the 7D2 has more fps but not every one wants more than 4 fps
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2210/can-the-the-decisive-moment-be-captured-at-4-fps/p1
    If I have a total budget of say $3000. Money I do not spent on the camera can be spent on glass
    BUY GOOD GLASS every one says
    With a D7200 I can afford, more / better glass
    When you choose between Nikon and Canon you not just buying a camera you are buying into a system
    With the Nikon flagship Dx camera £ for £ you get a lot more system
    you also get (according to many reviews) better IQ