Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,724Member
    PitchBlack makes some very good points. Maybe it won't happen because of a 24mp DX sensor and not enough processing power.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I've been following this thread for quite awhile. I am pretty irked that Nikon will not make the camera I need and want. I actually have started researching the Pentax K3 for my BIF camera. It has everything the D400 should be.. 8.3 FPS at 14 bit raw, 24 shot buffer. full mag body. Hell it even has focus peaking and IBIS. All that for only $800 bucks with a grip. WTH Nikon? Of course the downside is less reliable AF and poor long lens selection. If only I could mount my Tamron on a Pentax. Guess I will keep waiting for a pro DX from Nikon, sigh....
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    @costalconn how about the Pentax SMC D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW?
    Should fit your needs.

@pitchblack I really don't care too much either for or against a D400, but shooting the 810 has made shooting the 7100 more painful. I love the new 300 f4 and if Nikon would improve the 7200 to add Qc mode and a better shutter that would make me a happy camper and I would be upgrading. Right now I am thinking of dropping DX alltogether in favor of the 810 and the Nikon1 series for extreme reach when the 810 DX crop is too crappy. The problem is that the N1 is still very slow and cumbersome compared to an optic viewfinder camera like the 810. Switching from the 810 to 7100 mid shooting is easy. Switching to the N1...well not so easy mid shooting. As I said before, if Nikon follows Canon and makes a FX camera with the same pixel pitch as DX, it will render the DX reach argument useless.
    If you are going to be shooting some models in the water, let me know. I think that would cheer me up as well ;)
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @snakebunk: so you're saying that I should shut up instead of in a very well-reasoned way tell everyone here that a D400 just isn't going to happen? It's not as though my arguments are based in faulty reasoning. I just believe that this isn't going to happen. If you want me to go away, say the word.
    I like to be up with the birds and had to go to sleep. I was just trying to leave in a nice way.

As to why the D810 is not faster than 5 frames per second I think it was a complex desicion that Nikon based on market analysis, cost and technical possibilities. The fact that it only has 7 fps in dx mode indicates that there is more to it than the handling of data traffic.

I don't think that Nikon has a rule that lower priced cameras cannot have a higher throughput than more expensive ones, or that new technology must be introduced in the most expensive model first (even though it is a common practice).
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nikon holding back the latest tweaks for the best models is unsupportable simply by looking back historically. Many advances have debuted to some extent in lower range bodies,
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015

I will just say to all those entrenched anti-pro DXer's
    I will say again. I am NOT anti DX. I just love my D800

If Nikon bough out
    A profession DX camera for under $2000 with 10 fps; High pixel density ( reach); High IQ at high ISO values; High DR; 51 focus points ;A tough weather-sealed full metal body; EXPEED4 -
    I might even buy one

But unless Nikon also brought out some new dx ultra wide angle lenses to go with it. I would prefer it to be FX :)

I think some new pro new dx ultra wide angle lenses will come out before a Pro Dx body
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What an interesting thread. But, important to realize, one person's opinion has exactly the same validity as another.

The phrase from Shakespeare "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" applies quite aptly, .....methinks.
    Msmoto, mod
    Most of the threads tend to run by the bent flagpole theory. If one expresses an opinion to one extreme, folks will tend to go to the opposite.

However, none of us actually know what Nikon is thinking, and some of us will express our opinions as if we are more knowledgable than maybe we are. This is the nature of almost all chat forums I have seen, and I am no exception to the rule. :D
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    What an interesting thread. But, important to realize, one person's opinion has exactly the same validity as another.
    This is true only insofar as we are talking about matters of taste; otherwise, reason, logic, and the use of evidence should hold more sway. If I were to say that the autofocus system of the D90 were better than that of the 4Ds, I would be wrong and my opinion should be discarded. Not to believe this is to sink into an abyss of nihilism.

In general, I'm seeing far too many rationalizing statements that feed into wishful thinking. These are phrases like "it's possible that," or "you don't know *for sure* that," "well you don't know what Nikon is thinking," or similar such statements that leave open possibilities instead of looking at the weight of the avalanche of evidence. If one looks at the weight of the evidence with a clear head instead of with a zealous desire to make something real, one tends to reach different conclusions. If you want something enough, you will tend to seek any tiny little bit of evidence that could possibly be construed as supporting your position and discard as irrelevant anything that undermines it. That's clearly what has been going on in these threads for years now.
    That applies to both camps :-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Lets make some assertions.. but before we do that lets first define a a "Pro DX camera"
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited March 2015
    This is what I want from a *pro* dx camera:
    – build quality like a D300 or D800
    – two card slots, one for CF cards
    – large buffer
    – works for at least 200,000 images (300,000 if possible)

I would also like if the camera uses the same accessories as the D8XX series. I.e. that they are part of the same pro family, as I think the D300 and the D700 were.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    The "weight of the evidence" argument is good reasoning so long has you are sure you have all the evidence to weigh in the first place. That is the rub. We don't have all of the evidence and never will have. We only know what Nikon so far has put out in the marketplace. We do not know what they might be developing in house. Limiting possible future products by reasoning which assumes they can only used existing parts is too limited. On the other hand, simply inventing from whole cloth parts we want to exist is wishful thinking. The bottom line is we have to wait and see. Yes, the wait has already been too long which is a compelling argument for a D400 never appearing; but not a conclusive argument. If Nikon was sure it was not going to be producing a D400 they could simply tell us but they don't. Why? Maybe it remains a possibility to them. We just don't know. Maybe the name D400 will appear on a mirrorless body someday.
  • RyukyuRyukyu Posts: 30Member
    What do people do with their cameras that the D7X00 camera bodies can't stand up to? I don't understand why people look down their noses at the build quality of these cameras.
    With the faster processor, huge buffer improvements and improvement in the AF system, I don't get why people are so down on the D7200. People seem to love the D750, and the D7200 seems to be a D750 with an APSC sensor in it.
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    @Ryukyu: For me it has always been an ergonomic/feel in my hand issue. I've said before that I think Nikon got it right with the D750, so much so that I bought one. I'm not to hard on my bodies and maybe even baby my equipment alittle.

I still think there will be a D400/9300 but just not in the D200/300 chassis.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    @PitchBlack: Oh yeah I'm a true believer! I think the only real evidence that there will be a D400/9300 is the gap in the line up as far as price point between the D7200 and the D610 as well as the 7D mkII. That's it, that's all we got for hard evidence.

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    there seems to be two points of view

1) I am hanging on to my old, dated Dx Camera. As loyal Nikon customer, I believe Nikon to have a duty make me an affordable replacement, that will fulfill my wildness dreams.

2 ) I have bought a D7100, D600, D610 , D750, D800, D800E but I would really like a D400 D9300

To those you who are in group one. I can only say, dream on

To those of you in group two the D9300 it will be announced on April fools day

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    To clarify the idea of a "Pro DX" it is more like a D300s where the controls resemble those on a D4s, or D810. And the body is built with more metal than composite.

Otherwise, the specs often fall in-between the pro FX bodies and the prosumer DX bodies.

All IMO
    Msmoto, mod
    @PitchBlack: My D750 is more of a replacement.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Yes, more wet models
    The "weight of the evidence" argument is good reasoning so long has you are sure you have all the evidence to weigh in the first place. That is the rub. We don't have all of the evidence and never will have. We only know what Nikon so far has put out in the marketplace. We do not know what they might be developing in house. Limiting possible future products by reasoning which assumes they can only used existing parts is too limited. On the other hand, simply inventing from whole cloth parts we want to exist is wishful thinking. The bottom line is we have to wait and see. Yes, the wait has already been too long which is a compelling argument for a D400 never appearing; but not a conclusive argument. If Nikon was sure it was not going to be producing a D400 they could simply tell us but they don't. Why? Maybe it remains a possibility to them. We just don't know. Maybe the name D400 will appear on a mirrorless body someday.
    You are never sure that you have all the evidence, just the evidence that you have identified as evidence. That is how science operates. If I could go inside a black hole and take some measurements, you could figure out which unification theory is correct, or at least collect enough data to come up with a new one if none of the current ones are correct.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The time dilation would mean you wouldn't return until hundreds of thousands of years later, after we'd already figured it out, and the D400 would be just about ready to ship.
    To clarify the idea of a "Pro DX" it is more like a D300s where the controls resemble those on a D4s, or D810. And the body is built with more metal than composite.

Otherwise, the specs often fall in-between the pro FX bodies and the prosumer DX bodies.

All IMO
    This sounds good are we happy to run with this definition for "Pro DX"?

This is a fun thread. For me at least!
    @ heartyfisher: It's a fine definition. I don't think we'll see that camera but a fine definition.

@ donaldejose: Best thread in Nikonrumors. I start following it in 2011 or was it 2010? I think this is the third version as well.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    The time dilation would mean you wouldn't return until hundreds of thousands of years later, after we'd already figured it out, and the D400 would be just about ready to ship.
    Wait until the D400 ships first and then you can activate "time control mode". Surely something as trivial as the grand unification of physics should not rush the D400.
    The good thing is, the longer the wait the better it will be :-).

What do we say about the possibility that the D820 will have 10 fps in dx mode? Or is pro dx in fx off topic for this thread?