D7200 Pre release and early adopters discusion

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @JonMcGuffin - Hey Jon, 'Banding issues'? What 'banding issues'?

I must be some kind of dumb-assed photographer - I never get flare issues on my D750, I don't have any problem with AF on my D7100 and I certainly don't get any banding issues. I do a lot of my recreational photography in low-to-no light conditions too so there is plenty of opportunity to get problems. Come to think of it, apart from a couple of trivial lens issues and an af point issue on my D7000, I never had any problems with any of my Nikon gear so for me, the D7200 isn't the upgrade you said it is. :-)
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited March 2015
    For me adding a D7200 to go with my D7100 makes a lot of sense. I prefer to carry two bodies when I am just photographing or shooting video. A lot of times I shoot with just one camera and one lens. MANY is the time when I realize when I am far afield that I do not long enough or wide enough a lens. Yesterday that meant snowshoeing way back to my vehicle or saying......heck with it! Which is what I did. It would have been easier to take two cameras and lens than trudge all the way back. If I had not had some pretty high tech snow shoes with the claw on each shoe and a really great walking stick I couldn't have negotiated the terrain at all.

So if I could afford it right now I should buy the D7200. And yes.....there are places that have that much snow when it is almost spring by the calendar. Thank You Jon McGuffin for the comparison chart. My biggest concern on my Nikon DSLR videos NOW is some flicker.....It used to be lack of resolution. Starting at about D7000 though that poor resolution went away. Now low light imagery (still and video) and trying to get flicker out are the big issues.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm waiting for the hands on reviews to come in. but yeah I've pretty much committed to the D7200 now. :))

My camera shopping list...

D7200
    Nikon 40mm DX Micro Nikkor f2.8 or 85mm DX f3.5
    Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
    Black Rapid RS Strap
    Lowepro AW-16/22L (Backpack)
    Transcend SDXC 16 or 32GB (2X)
    Extra Battery (EN-EL15) Nikon Brand
    Cleaning kits: lens cloth and the dust blower.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    Thanks Jon. While your argument is sound and I'll probably bite on a D7200, I'm with nuku. I don't really have to do anything in a hurry, just suffering from GAS. So, I think I'll just lace up my big boy knickers and endure the GAS pains until the formal reviews start showing up. Given the relatively limited nature of the changes, I don't think it likely the 7200 will have teething problems, but ... . Pitch Black helped, too: not in this thread, but in the discussions of the Pro DX. Thanks again for the reality check.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    @JonMcGuffin - Hey Jon, 'Banding issues'? What 'banding issues'?

I must be some kind of dumb-assed photographer - I never get flare issues on my D750, I don't have any problem with AF on my D7100 and I certainly don't get any banding issues. I do a lot of my recreational photography in low-to-no light conditions too so there is plenty of opportunity to get problems. Come to think of it, apart from a couple of trivial lens issues and an af point issue on my D7000, I never had any problems with any of my Nikon gear so for me, the D7200 isn't the upgrade you said it is. :-)
    Hmmm.. Let me respond...

#1) Out of 10 "enhancements" you pick probably one of the least significant and summarize that it isn't worth upgrading based on this point. Google banding issues D7100, plenty of info around. I own a D7100 and I don't feel it's an issue either, but enough people have seen/had it that it's just something to consider. Small, yes...

#2) For a guy who calls himself "Spraynpray" how the heck do you own a camera that can only shoot continuously for less than a second!! How much spraying and praying can you possibly do? LOL I'd think for you the 3+ second buffer would be a huge boon. Unless of course you're a .jpg shooter and then... well.. I digress... ;)

#3) I mentioned a few times in the comment that the upgrade was a relatively minor release however I was trying to make the overall point that just because you own a D7100, that doesn't make this camera not a bad upgrade option. At $1200 for a body of this caliber and capabilities, I don't see any better value out there; anywhere including all the mirrorless.

Keep shooting Spraynpray! :)
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    edited March 2015
    I have always heard the phrase "spray and pray" meaning spraying out a lot of bullets praying one hits the target; not photography. But then, I come from the American West where we had our first rifle at age 13 and could walk into a gun store without our parents and buy a rifle while we were still in High School. None of this was considered dangerous, no one took guns to school, there were no school shootings and if we did forget we had a gun in our bag the teacher would just take it for the day and you could pick up after school. "Spray and pray" meant someone was a bad shot; that's all. Oh, those were the days!
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    <
    #3) I mentioned a few times in the comment that the upgrade was a relatively minor release however I was trying to make the overall point that just because you own a D7100, that doesn't make this camera not a bad upgrade option. At $1200 for a body of this caliber and capabilities, I don't see any better value out there; anywhere including all the mirrorless.
    All 7100 shooters will take all of these enhancements that are found in the 7200. However, Nikon fixing problems like the crappy buffer that were well known since the 7000 after two generations doesn't warrant applause but rather "about freakin time!"

Unlike the 7000 to 7100 transition (where we boosted the resolution of the sensor, dramatically improved the AF, introduced crop modes with speed improvements, etc.) there is little in the 7100 to 7200 transition that brings fundamental changes for most shooters other than the buffer. That is why folks like the camera store in Canada say skip this one unless you really need the buffer.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Just found this on YouTube:

It is purported to be shot at 1080p60 in crop mode, of course. Looks just as soft as 1080i60 in crop mode did in my D7100. This is the one improvement Nikon forgot to do on the D7200 compared to the D7100 and the one reason I am not buying a D7200. Of course Nikon couldn't improve this feature, since, just as I suspected, Nikon didn't change a single silicon on the D7100 to make the D7200, Nikon just makes the processor in a smaller fab process now and bumped up the cycles per second. More videos like this will just confirm my disappointment with this camera. And the funny thing is that Nikon can still crank out new D7100s with the new processor and pocket the savings of using less silicon material thanks to the smaller fab. Don't be surprised by new D7100 owners down the line finding out that their cameras have much better battery life than early D7100 owners had. Yes, video is that important to me, and Nikon is almost at the state of the art in 1080p60 APS-C cameras, but not with the D7200, unfortunately.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    @cameraquest

If you don't mind me asking, what Nikon APS-C bodies have the state of the art video you seek? Would be surprised if the flagship didn't have the best of what they have to offer but not shocked since the camera isn't 100% geared towards video use. Are you sure from what you can see here on YouTube that what you suspect is true?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    That's a pretty strong opinion based upon a single YouTube video, and we all know that YouTube would never mess with video quality, like ever, right?
    Yes, a single video from YouTube won't confirm anything, but the guy who took this one seem to have done nothing wrong to provoke a soft video. Focus seem even across the frame, so he didn't just misfocused, he had the camera on a stable surface, perhaps on a tripod, it all just looks so familiar to me, like my 1080i60 videos from my previous D7100. I will only change my thinking after I see a sharp 1080p60 video taken with this camera, and then there is still the crop issue.

The D3300, D5300 and purportedly the D5500 all output great 1080p60 footage which currently are 2nd only to the Sony A5100 and perhaps the Samsung NX1 in quality in the APS-C world, ahead of anything from Canon not coming from their Cinema EOS line.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited March 2015
    Nikon wants people to get the camera D750 or higher. I guess I can compare Nikon as playground thug. :)) "Hey kid, You want Aperture in live view?" "You want 1080p at 60Hz?" "Then you gotta pay to play boy!!!" get my drip? :D
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Cameraquest: It is possible for me to make a soft and flat looking picture with my D800. But that is not why I got it :-) I got my D800 because if I try hard enough the pictures coming out of it looks stunning.

I am sure it is possible to make a soft and flat looking video with the D7200 in slow motion. But that is not the right question to ask. The right question should be: Is it possible to make a stunning looking video with the D7200?

The answer to that question right now: We will see :-)
    Yeah, as things stand I am being tempted to go with the D750, but its weight/size/price balance is not for me. Don't get me wrong, I think the D7200 is almost perfect as a stills APS-C camera. But to not provide it with the video chops of even the lowly D3300 is a huge oversight by Nikon. I understand their wanting to wring the most juice out of the capital spent on making the D7100 assembly line and designing its innards, as this tactic has worked just fine with the D4s. But on the other hand Nikon has consistently improved the video capabilities of all their DX bodies since the D7100. Bugger.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    A comment on donalddejose's post. Right now a Nichol's Stallion .45 Mark II Cap Gun which sold for $3.98 in 1957 now sells for between $350 in decent condition to well over $1,500 in mint condition. I believe that was children who become adults associated that with play and enjoyment. Today that kind of thing is generally headed towards being associated with anything but play and fun. There are very few gun owners or collectors in Japan. The US is comparatively heavily armed. My guess though is that there are MORE Nikon DSLR camera owners per capita in Japan than in the USA. I have never seen that statistic for camera owner percentages. Granted my post here is quite a ways out of the topic. But if I spent my recent money spend on "hardware" and spent in on a D7200 I could add a nice zoom lens too. When I get to the Florida Keys in a few days the D7200 would get lots of immediate use.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    Jessops vid on D7200 -- the D7200 seems yummy to the leopard.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

What I'm wrestling with now is how much better the D7200 is than the D7100. Refurb prices on D7100s are under $700. So, is a new D7200 $500 better than a like new(ish) D7100? I don't really need the larger buffer or wifi or NFC. Man my head hurts.
    Tell me what you think.. D7200 vs D610
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Low on both or high on both?
    Sure, I just didn't want to assume...
    What I'm wrestling with now is how much better the D7200 is than the D7100. Refurb prices on D7100s are under $700. So, is a new D7200 $500 better than a like new(ish) D7100? I don't really need the larger buffer or wifi or NFC. Man my head hurts.
    The 7100 is great and honestly I do not see too much other than the buffer and wifi that has changed in the 7200. My hunch is always to tell you to go with the latest and greatest because no one likes buying old tech. But $$ is $$ so the deci$ion is yours LOL.
    @Ironheart: high, of course.
    Are you are suggesting someone get high (over low performance) :D
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 @manhattanboy - Are you are suggesting someone get high (over low performance)
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited March 2015
    Well, I solved my D7100 vs D7200 conundrum -sort of. I ordered a D610. The price drop, plus battery grip, plus spares and the broad collection of freebies, plus the lure of the sensor, was too good a deal to pass up. I'll keep my 5100 for times I need to stretch my lenses. I've read some complaints about the 610s suffering spotting issues, but will cross my fingers and toes and hope for the best. Thanks for all the comments.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    edited March 2015
    Well, I solved my D7100 vs D7200 conundrum -sort of. I ordered a D610. The price drop, plus battery grip, plus spares and the broad collection of freebies, plus the lure of the sensor, was too good a deal to pass up. I'll keep my 5100 for times I need to stretch my lenses. I've read some complaints about the 610s suffering spotting issues, but will cross my fingers and toes and hope for the best. Thanks for all the comments.
    LOL side stepped a serious issue! well done !

<:-P congrats on the new toy!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

@Pitchblack I was only joking. But I agree with your explanation.
    I still am having a tough time with the metering in the 810 versus 7100. I refuse to give up the group AF as it is amazing for action but it meters funny sometimes blowing out the scene (yesterday I shot a sequence and two frames were just blown out completely). I've tried highlight priority without much luck. I will still keep experimenting.

@Captain have fun. Like Pitchblack said for the majority of folks FX is the best move and the 610 is a simple camera to operate. I probably would have ponied up for the 750 or 810 to prevent gear acquisition syndrome from hitting you in a few months time LOL.