D7200 Pre release and early adopters discusion

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    .... I believe they said it isn't a D400 because they are still waiting for one .
    Mods. Please could you consider reopening the D400 thread and contain the D400 there . At the moment the D400 virus seems to have infected every other thread on nrf

donaldejose I think we will see it out late this year
    now where have I heard that before?
    2010?
    2011?
    2012?
    2013?
    2014?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    .... I believe they said it isn't a D400 because they are still waiting for one .
    Mods. Please could you consider reopening the D400 thread and contain the D400 there . At the moment the D400 virus seems to have infected every other thread on nrf
    We have this one:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3426/will-there-be-a-professional-dx-body-from-nikon
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

I would imagine D7100 owner is not Nikons target market
    The target market will be people upgrading from a P&S
    who might be tempted by a Canon
    Using that reasoning, Canon's aim with the 7Dm2 would have been the D7100 owner
    $-)
    Regardless, its nice that Nikon sees fit to make us feel that we are getting longevity from our purchases like the 7100 by marginally updating the next model. I still think they are trying to follow Apple, where each generation they add one thing that was "missing" from the prior model, e.g. a facetime camera on the iPad2, more Ram making an iPhone actually usable in an "s" update, etc. Nikon is adding in the long lost missing buffer while giving us the incremental processor upgrade. Qc mode and increased fps will be in 2 years with the 7300.

Using that reasoning, Canon's aim with the 7Dm2 would have been the D7100 owner
    well if they were , they should have made it available with an F mount

I always wonder why they don't as it's technically possible. A service like Sigma offers where for a small fee they will convert your lens from Nikon to Canon or vice versa would be very nice for camera bodies as well.
    edited March 2015
    I imagine it is a patent issue
    Which may be, while Sigam make Canon and Nikon mount lenses, they have a different SA bayonet mount on their own cameras
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • 4thebirds4thebirds Posts: 27Member
    edited March 2015
    ... I just want to smack anyone complaining that it's not a D400. It's an amazing camera and it costs just 1200 bucks. That's 500 non-inflation-adjusted dollars cheaper than the D300 was when it came out and the D7200 is so much better. Just buy it and be done with it.

Edit: not you. all those waiting for a D400. Do it. Buy it. Now.
    I largely agree with you, but at the same time, do not expect the "D400 dreamers" to ever completely go silent. I quit using my D300 long ago because my D7100 has given me significantly better photos. And I DID order a D7200. But as a bird photographer, a full 2 years now since the D7100 appeared, it's hard for me to be very excited about the D7200... I ordered it mostly because I want to have a back-up/2nd body. The D7200 does not even try to compete with the Canon 7DII. Nikon is stubbornly and deliberately limiting the DX high end, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate demand by serious wildlife/sports photographers, including some current FX users. I'm going to get out and shoot and I won't be "waiting" for a truly worthy D300 successor/7DII competitor, but I won't stop hoping for it. I will continue to get some great photos with the D7100 & D7200, and the lack of anything better will usually not be the main reason when I fail (the D810 is not significantly better than the D7100/D7200 for my bird photography).
    Dave
    Post edited by 4thebirds on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I always wonder why they don't as it's technically possible.
    Why on earth would Canon do that? First of all they would have to have either make an "F mount" version of all their bodies or make an adaptor. Next they would reverse engineer those bodies to support Nikon AF. Thirdly, they would loose out on potential sales of Canon lenses. While Canon could freely use the F mount, the patients expired a long time ago, they might get sued over breaking Nikon's AF. While Nikon lets the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina to get away with it, they might not look so favourably towards Canon.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited March 2015
    4thebirds said -
    I largely agree with you, but at the same time, do not expect the "D400 dreamers" to ever completely go silent. I quit using my D300 long ago because my D7100 has given me significantly better photos. And I DID order a D7200. But as a bird photographer, a full 2 years now since the D7100 appeared, it's hard for me to be very excited about the D7200... I ordered it mostly because I want to have a back-up/2nd body. The D7200 does not even try to compete with the Canon 7DII. Nikon is stubbornly and deliberately limiting the DX high end, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate demand by serious wildlife/sports photographers, including some current FX users. I'm going to get out and shoot and I won't be "waiting" for a truly worthy D300 successor/7DII competitor, but I won't stop hoping for it. I will continue to get some great photos with the D7100 & D7200, and the lack of anything better will usually not be the main reason when I fail (the D810 is not significantly better than the D7100/D7200 for my bird photography).

Dave, nicely said. With all the many comments on a D300 replacement...I thought this was right on target for many people..........Nikon is stubbornly and deliberately limiting the DX high end, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate demand by serious wildlife/sports photographers, including some current FX users. I'm going to get out and shoot and I won't be "waiting" for a truly worthy D300 successor/7DII competitor, but I won't stop hoping for it.

From my perspective....Moving on and getting out there and take better pictures is what it's all about....equipment is secondary.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    CaMeRaQuEsT - interesting video on the new D7200. Thanks for posting.

Lots of small changes as most of us expected. I don't disagree with his closing comments for D7100 owners. For D300/D7000/D5XXX/D3XXX its a nice upgrade. The IQ & DR are the improvements for D300/D300S owners - certainly no improvements in FPS and control layout and size.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    The camera of your dreams no more exists than the girl of your dreams. She's awesome. Shut up and marry her!
    Easy for you to say as you get to work with the girls of my dreams all the time :D
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited March 2015
    I would imagine D7100 owner is not Nikons target market The target market will be people upgrading from a P&S who might be tempted by a Canon

I think that would be folks like me... Who came from Sony Cybershot and low end Canon body (T2i) before.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    The other target market is D7000 owners (like me). The D7200 looks like a worthy upgrade. If I had a D7100 I wouldn't be in the market.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    Bit of like a dog then ;-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Bit of like a dog then ;-)
    We already have a thread for that ;;)
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    Ok boys now can we get back to the topic? :)) Do we have the exact street date of D7200 release?
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    Ok boys now can we get back to the topic? :)) Do we have the exact street date of D7200 release?
    Thought it was in April some time.. but I don’t know where I read that.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    B&H projects availability on March 19.
    edited March 2015
    I think talking about dogs is what he meant :o3 not you :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Having seen the Nikon USA featured video from Argentina I am getting close to going further in debt to acquire a D7200 and probably a second 35mm f1.8 lens. Not that we don't all ready have enough gear to mostly do that type of video but it does make the D7200 wonderful. I like it that the two guys who shot the video have the labeling as to what lens shot what scenes. The low light capability of the camera is very. very good. This camera is a step up for Nikon and I think it will sell like hotcakes.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    OK. B&H alleges they are now overnight shipping the 7200. Please, somebody, when your's shows up tomorrow, put through the wringer and let us know. Lots of angst out here in the peanut gallery.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    OK. B&H alleges they are now overnight shipping the 7200. Please, somebody, when your's shows up tomorrow, put through the wringer and let us know. Lots of angst out here in the peanut gallery.
    What's to worry? B&H has a good return policy, this update screams that it's a D7100 and all the best things about it + a few good enhancements. Go for it, you could have it in your hands tomorrow! :)
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    edited March 2015
    I keep seeing everywhere that the D7200 is really not a worthwhile upgrade to D7100 owners and the more I look at it the more I feel that though this certainly isn't a major upgrade, I think there is value here that would entice a D7100 owner.

First of all, this series of bodies is in my view Nikon's best bang for the buck photographically speaking so money spent in this range represents a lot of return to start with.

Features superior to D7100
    - Buffer 3-4 seconds deep as opposed to 1 second deep
    - Wi-Fi connectivity built in along with NFC.
    - Newer (theoretically) Sony sensor to avoid any banding issues
    - Perhaps mild ISO sensitivity gain based on new sensor (see above), certainly won't be worse.
    - Faster Expeed 4 processor which should make menu viewing, live view interaction faster
    - Upgraded AF engine to 3500 DXII along with better low light focusing and due to new processor, likely better AF performance in general. This body will likely focus as well as D750/D810/D4s or at least in the same ballpark.
    - More frames available for exposure bracketing (small enhancement)
    - HD 60p recording format over 30p in D7100 along with flat picture control
    - 3 additional white balance presets
    - 10-15% better battery life

I'll be the first to say this may not even be as significant as upgrade that Nikon gave us between the D800 and D810 however all of the above is really building on top of a really solid camera already. The fact they didn't change the body controls, menu's, etc could really be a plus for a D7100 owner to really step into a body and have a zero learning curve, that too is worth something.

Anyhow, I just wanted to kick back a bit on those with D7100's that are claiming this is a virtual zero upgrade body. I own a D7100 and will realistically keep it but I'm also a Full Frame shooter so this is a kind of secondary body for me to begin with but if I were only shooting DX, I think I'd probably find a way to make the jump.

Jon
    Post edited by JonMcGuffin on
    That is a lot of little improvements that can justify moving from the D7100 to the D7200. Just depends what you shoot. Nice job @jonMcGuffin of summarizing the improved features.