D7200 Pre release and early adopters discusion

Comments

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited April 2015
    @Manhattanboy

I think Nikon would be slightly wider than the Canon as the crop factor is 1.5 on Nikon APS-C sensor as opposed to Canon's sensor which is 1.6. I know I'm splitting hair but at least I can actually calculate the focal length on the fly in my head with FF lenses on Nikon crop bodies :)) with Canon it isn't that instant.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I am not sure if you are responding to me or not. Someone wanted side by side examples of the crop factor advantage that DX gives. Personally I like DX quite a bit, and I still feel like the 7100 meters much more consistently then the 810. I have this issue where the 810 will ramp up exposures throughout a CHigh spray for some reason. For example, ISO 64, ISO 100, ISO 200, etc. WTF is going on?! The 7100 is a rock and once it picks an exposure it barely moves. I think I am going to have to start shooting the 810 in total manual, but just sucks that you can't use autoISO like you can in the 7100.
    I had this happen to me once, until I realized Bracketing was ON. Am learning to turn OFF bracketing whenever I use it. Maybe?

D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    I know some of you have the D7200.. Can you post some images from the D7200 that show what it can do and some limitations etc? I am thinking of getting it .. comparisons with other Nikon cameras that you have would be nice..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    edited April 2015
    There are some ISO comparison images here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7200.htm

and here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d7200/nikon-d7200-image-quality.htm

and you can compare it to other Nikon sensors here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

and just published

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Nikon-D7200-The-new-APS-C-champ

for example:

"The class-leading APS-C sensor scores from the Nikon D7200 mean that results from the smaller DX format are getting ever closer to the best full-frame sensors. Despite being a little way off from breaking through the 90-point barrier, an overall score of 87 from the D7200 is only a half-stop behind the Nikon D610 with 94 points, and two-thirds of a stop off the best-performing sensor we’ve tested (the D810 with 97 points).
    The big difference between DX and FX sensors is still in their Low-Light ISO performance, where the physically larger sensor and greater pixel pitch results in over one-stop better sensitivity for the larger format."

and

"So we have a new DxOMark champion for APS-C image quality. With an overall DxOMark Sensor Score of 87 points, the Nikon D7200’s 24.2Mp DX-format sensor is starting to knock on the door of its full-frame siblings for image quality. Its ISO performance still can’t compete against the larger FX format, but its outstanding Dynamic Range at base ISO is on apar with the bigger sensors, and its color isn’t too far behind either. The outstanding image quality, combined with improvements to the D7200’s build quality (including a new weather-resistant shell), and its better performance thanks to its pro-grade Multi-CAM 3500 AF II autofocus system and bigger image buffer, make the new Nikon D7200 a very attractive APS-C shooting solution."
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Did I just read DXOmark just say that the D7200 has a better build over the D7100 with new material and better weather resistance? I thought D7100 and D7200 had identical build, size and materials.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I believe the D7200 took the carbon fibre upgrade, first seen in the D5500 and D750, over the traditional plastics found in the D7100.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited April 2015
    Did I just read DXOmark just say that the D7200 has a better build over the D7100 with new material and better weather resistance? I thought D7100 and D7200 had identical build, size and materials.
    Can you link to that?
    I believe the D7200 took the carbon fibre upgrade, first seen in the D5500 and D750, over the traditional plastics found in the D7100.
    What is weird is the that DP review clearly states:
    "The D7200's design is unchanged compared to its predecessor. That makes it a mid-sized DSLR with a magnesium alloy, weather-sealed body."
    I doubt anything has changed with the 7200 as both it and the 7100 both weigh the exact same (675g) according to Nikon's own website.

What has impressed me about the DXO 7200 score is the additional dynamic range. I guess they did switch to the Sony sensor for the 7200. I am still going to wait for the 19fps Sony DX sensor to make its way into Nikon's lineup as I think that will be an amazing upgrade for the 7K series cameras. I hope and pray Nikon adds Qc mode next time around.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    I am disappointed the D7200 does not have the feature which automatically focuses on the near eye which is in the D750. For quick shots of people that feature would be a great benefit. It should have been put into the D7200.
  • One_Oh_FourOne_Oh_Four Posts: 70Member
    As should Group-AF.... But we need to have some features reserved for the D400, don't we? ;)
    I am disappointed the D7200 does not have the feature which automatically focuses on the near eye which is in the D750. .....
    Really? .. that's good to know.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited April 2015
    @donaldjose Thanks for the links but when I said "comparisons" I meant personal comments on how a D7200 owner feels regarding how the D7200 compares to his other Nikon Cameras.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The change to the Sony sensor made a terrific improvement on DR and IQ. Finally it's better than the D5500. It was always interesting comparing the D5300 to the D7100. Finally, the logical progression is back...better model better images.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited April 2015
    The change to the Sony sensor made a terrific improvement on DR and IQ.
    Historically Sony made CCD and later CMOS sensors for professional/consumer video cameras/camcorders for its own use and for other manufactures. So Sony has lot of experience under its belt. And when it comes to image sensors I trust Sony more than anyone else. :D
    Here's their remarks...

"So we have a new DxOMark champion for APS-C image quality. With an overall DxOMark Sensor Score of 87 points, the Nikon D7200’s 24.2Mp DX-format sensor is starting to knock on the door of its full-frame siblings for image quality. Its ISO performance still can’t compete against the larger FX format, but its outstanding Dynamic Range at base ISO is on apar with the bigger sensors, and its color isn’t too far behind either. The outstanding image quality, combined with improvements to the D7200’s build quality (including a new weather-resistant shell), and its better performance thanks to its pro-grade Multi-CAM 3500 AF II autofocus system and bigger image buffer, make the new Nikon D7200 a very attractive APS-C shooting solution."

The last couple of sentences...
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Carbon Fiber is the way to go probably compared to say Magnesium Alloy. Quadcopters are a test bed right now for light weight and function. Look at birds. Their bones are wonderfully lightened yet keep required strength. Another factor with bodies on everything from planes to drones to chainsaws, etc. is interference resonance which can rule out some materials and advance others. If for instance a Nikon is built with a super strong lightweight material it can allow more stuff to be placed in the body and do better as a image capture device, There is though a customer perception of value too and I still remember my first reaction to Husqvarna chainsaws with a plastic body. Can't hold up said I. Now that is what we own and have bought 30 from that company.
    So my concern isn't really what type of material they're using. The question at hand is does the D7200 use a different material than what was in the D7100. When the D750 was released I heard all of this "consumer build" stuff flying around. Being a D700 owner at the time, I didn't think I wanted to have much to do with that. I have a D7100 and though I think it's a wonderful camera, the build quality is clearly inferior to my D700.

Upon holding the D750 in the store, I couldn't have been more impressed. The body felt strong, sturdy, and built very very well. Yes, it has the controls, knobs, etc borrowed down from the D7100/D610 but that's just a functionality thing. You can either live with that or not. The D750 felt very rugged and built well to me and if the D7200 has received a similar type of upgrade in regards to body material, etc, I will certainly sell the D7100 and move onto the D7200.

I just don't think that's the case, I think DXOmark's comment is either flat our wrong or grossly exaggerated.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    the build quality is clearly inferior to my D700.

Can you expand on this a bit
    The D7000 is going to "feel different" as it is a smaller and lighter body

When toyota introduced the Lexus to America, they spent a lot of time and money, making the opening and closing of doors, feel and sound right

As far as I can make out. The changes did affect the strength, durability, or functionality of the door

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    So my concern isn't really what type of material they're using. The question at hand is does the D7200 use a different material than what was in the D7100. When the D750 was released I heard all of this "consumer build" stuff flying around. Being a D700 owner at the time, I didn't think I wanted to have much to do with that. I have a D7100 and though I think it's a wonderful camera, the build quality is clearly inferior to my D700.

Upon holding the D750 in the store, I couldn't have been more impressed. The body felt strong, sturdy, and built very very well. Yes, it has the controls, knobs, etc borrowed down from the D7100/D610 but that's just a functionality thing. You can either live with that or not. The D750 felt very rugged and built well to me and if the D7200 has received a similar type of upgrade in regards to body material, etc, I will certainly sell the D7100 and move onto the D7200.

I just don't think that's the case, I think DXOmark's comment is either flat our wrong or grossly exaggerated.
    For the sake of those buying the 7200 I hope Nikon improved something in the build quality over the 7100. But in case they didn't, the 7100 has been a great camera and I do not think it is that much inferior of a build quality compared to the 810 that I shoot side by side with. Honestly its not a D4S or a D400, so throwing it into the water or tossing it on the ground are not recommended (someone insert Canon joke here ;) )
  • One_Oh_FourOne_Oh_Four Posts: 70Member
    edited April 2015

For the sake of those buying the 7200 I hope Nikon improved something in the build quality over the 7100. But in case they didn't, the 7100 has been a great camera and I do not think it is that much inferior of a build quality compared to the 810 that I shoot side by side with. Honestly its not a D4S or a D400, so throwing it into the water or tossing it on the ground are not recommended (someone insert Canon joke here ;) )
    Your wish is my command, sir!

Post edited by One_Oh_Four on
    edited May 2015

Your wish is my command, sir!

Ouch...Funny yes, However it is also too painful to look at. Even for Canon. :)) if it was Scamsung or should I say Samshit NX-1, I'll gladly add the caption too. :D
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It's okay, it's a 5D MKII, almost as bad a Shamsung. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MJH_PhotoMJH_Photo Posts: 3Member
    Hi all,

Just received my D7200 and a 300mm f4D to go with it...mind blown.

I moved up from D3100 so obviously I'm noticing huge differences straight away. I particularly like using the much more accurate focus tracking with the new combo. Very impressive! With a bit of practice I might just be able to rustle up some exciting shots.

And like some sort of divine intervention, Adobe released LR CC today so I can actually process the shots...ideal! I'm sure it's elsewhere on the forum by now, but for those trying to get the new CC version of LR, you need to sign out of your CC desktop app (which is under 'preferences' for some reason) before you can open it all up properly.

Here's a sample from my very first few shots after work tonight, literally out of my bedroom window (1/1000, ISO 400, f4, 300mm + '1.3x crop mode'):

We have lift off...

Thanks,
    Mike (Bristol UK)

P.s. For prospective UK buyers amongst you, I bought my camera and lens for a total cost of £1449 (£730 + £719 respectively) from Panamoz (grey market UK supplier) and received superb service throughout. I was highly cynical beforehand myself and almost bottled it, but eventually I bit the bullet, accepted the known risks and saved myself approx £393 vs Amazon at the time of purchase.
    Nice d7200 rview on photography life...

edited May 2015
    After playing with FX (D610) and shooting with both my D610 and D7000 ... I think I like the DX format better .. I think I will be upgrading my D7000 to a D7200 instead of getting a D750...
    Having a DX camera as my primary kit give so many more functionality options for a budget whatever the size.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Good for you hearty, can't wait to see some images from it. If you keep the D7000, some comparison shots of the same subject/settings would be great.
    Always learning.