Wondering Wheather The inevitable Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless Will Be An F Mount.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My guess is any Nikon Mirrorless would have a shorter flange to sensor distance....

Here are some of the current full frame bodies on the market:

Sony E Mount 18 mm (Sony Alpha a7R Mirrorless)

Leica M Mount 27.8 mm (Leica M-P)

Canon EF Mount 44.0 mm (Canon EOS-1D X)

Nikon F Mount 46.5 mm

Thus, Nikon may want to reduce the flange to sensor distance. However, an adaptor may be something more like a modification of the body to accommodate F Mount lenses and have no removable adaptor. This may make the issue of AF Fine tune easier.

What ever Nikon arrives at, for certain they will make the F Mount lenses fully functional to attract the folks who have lots of gear in their kit already.

Who knows 8-}
    Msmoto, mod
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    From a pure strategy standpoint, a mainstream camera must use the F-Mount. With the F-mount comes a huge group of users that can migrate to the new camera without buying new lenses. If they change the mount, they lose that advantage and create a barrier. What's more, if you have to sell your lenses, some portion will choose other product lines. Maintaining a 50% share would be outstanding - and a disaster. So the only option for Nikon is to leverage the F-mount.

Nikon has a huge market share in lenses. There is zero chance a full frame mirrorless camera will have a new mount. It would lead to the demise of Nikon unless it simply failed.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    So what are the chances of the nikon equivalent of hasselblad superwide c
    A mirrorless camera with a fixed super wide angle lens
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I also don't see the limitations that people talk about with the F-Mount, particularly focus. Slap the new 400 on a D750 and you won't have any focus issues. It is more about the lens and camera.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

My question to anyone is whether there is really a market for a F-mount mirrorless camera. My guess is no.

That would be a huge paradigm shift for a company that hasn't really made any shifts in a while.

"Live View" likely satisfies most of the user curiosity mirrorless interface comes from in an enginer's point-of-view which seems to be where Nikon generally comes from in its corporate approach to product design - that will probably have to do for the FX users.

The M4/3 cameras do offer a more compact package if the smaller images can be used.

My best,

Mike
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    Nikon uses Sony sensors so if you want to see what a Nikon mirrorless FF Quacks like, have a look at the Sony mirrorless FF cameras ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon uses Sony sensors so if you want to see what a Nikon mirrorless FF Quacks like, have a look at the Sony mirrorless FF cameras ..
    The Nikon would be better, since Sony sucks when it comes to in camera imaging processing (even RAW).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The Nikon would be better, since Sony sucks when it comes to in camera imaging processing (even RAW).
    Sony may suck but at least it is able to. ! lol

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Sony may suck but at least it is able to. ! lol
    The fact that a third party can get better results out of another companies hardware doesn't say much about the OEM and its understanding of it's own hardware. If Sony wants to show photographers that they are serious they need to step it up. That and they need to fix the UI and controls, which are terrible. I'd rather go back to Nikon DX body than switch to Sony mirrorless for those reasons alone.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • FrenchRivieraFrenchRiviera Posts: 59Member
    edited December 2014
    So, eventually Nikon will have to go all in on mirrorless or cease to exist at some point. I sure hope when they do make a full frame mirrorless they will logically make it an F mount so we don't all have to replace our lenses. Thoughts? Am I off base here?
    As a D800E and EMD OM1 user , I would be interested in a Nikon FF mirrors camera for travel .

I've been using mirrorless cameras since early 2012 with Fuji XPRO1, and I appreciated dispite slow AF and pretty poor EVF .

But things are changing on both defaults , mirrorless cameras like EM1 are very handy to use when travelling , I particularly appreciate not to pair every lens with camera AF , AF collimators on the all screen , almost noiseless , good idea of the quality of exposure in the EVF ( especially High Lights ) ...

Sensor like the D800E , stabilization in camera , F mount to use my Nikon lenses ( light fixes lenses ) , not too small ( for my hands ) , not too heavy for transportation ... :-)

But , I will not spend money for a complete new system with new lenses .
    Post edited by FrenchRiviera on
    Hi all,

My question to anyone is whether there is really a market for a F-mount mirrorless camera. My guess is no.

Mike
    the simple fact is a very large percentage of camera buyer are not aware of the difference

they are also unaware of the difference between Fx and Dx
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi all,

Mike
    the simple fact is a very large percentage of camera buyer are not aware of the difference

they are also unaware of the difference between Fx and Dx
    If you look at the number of photographers buying cameras and the numbers of low-end cameras in comparison to high end, you will see a parallel to the world in the future except people using point and shoots now, will all be using their decent phones which leaves the cameras (proper) being bought by those who are more into creating the image than a memory. That last category are aware of the differences between FX/DX and SLR/mirrorless and of course want the best spec and best bang for their buck = no change.
    Always learning.
  • FrenchRivieraFrenchRiviera Posts: 59Member

by those who are more into creating the image than a memory. That last category are aware of the differences between FX/DX and SLR/mirrorless and of course want the best spec and best bang for their buck = no change.
    As mirrorless technology is improving very fast ( according to the gap between a XPRO1 and EM1 in terms of AF speed and EVF quality ) , and the prices between FF DSLR and mirrors FF A7 like are quite noticeable , maybe in the very close futur you may switch to mirorless F mount just because it is cheaper camera for identical performances to reflex cameras , and you could had some advantages like no need of fine AF tune , almost 100 % AF coverage .

A lot af people knows what a mirorless camera is in theory , but few knows what practice spanning for years is ;-)
    The mirrorless design is simpler than a DSLR, thus i suspect strongly it is the direction we will eventually head. Elimination of moving parts may even reduce the oil/dust issues currently common for DSLR bodies. Anytime one can eliminate moving parts i see this as an improvement.

In most industries, mechanical parts have been replaced by their electronic counterpart, where possible, and the photo industry is no different......IMO.... 8-}
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Nikon will be in a catch 22.
    The moment they release a serious mirror less with a different mount, their other camera and lens sales will plummet.
    I doubt I will invest in more nikon glass moving forward.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2014
    @manhattanboy: Why not just sell all your current none D-SLR glass and bodies so you can hedge against any devaluation. Pocket the cash...sit on the side line and wait to see what might come down in the near future. If your current gear is worthy of ownership, let someone else enjoy the thousands of image that they can possibly take with them. Who know, you just might move on to a different manufacture. So why sit on the gear?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    edited December 2014
    @manhattanboy: Why not just sell all your current none D-SLR glass and bodies so you can hedge against any devaluation. Pocket the cash...sit on the side line and wait to see what might come down in the near future. If your current gear is worthy of ownership, let someone else enjoy the thousands of image that they can possibly take with them. Who know, you just might move on to a different manufacture. So why sit on the gear?
    Personally, I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure Nikon will look after all of us, in some way, so our current f-mount lenses are still useable with any future cameras. It might mean keeping the current f-mount (I personally don't think so but what do I know?) or providing an adapter to do so.

Look at the Nikon 1 system. It has a new mount but Nikon has been pretty decent in developing native lenses. Not as extensive as some would like but the adapter was there pretty quick to use f-mount lenses.

Roman wasn't built in a day and Sony is still staging their FF lenses.

Post edited by Nuke on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think it will be a new mount with an adapter. Not sure it will be full frame though. I am guessing dx and full frame later on. Like when the DSLRs where introduced.
    edited December 2014
    I think it will be a new mount with an adapter. Not sure it will be full frame though. I am guessing dx and full frame later on. Like when the DSLRs where introduced.
    Even if they came out with a full frame mirrorless tomorrow, they would be late so if they come out only with a DX, they will get slated for it. They have to come out with an FX soon, AND with an adaptor for F mount lenses AND follow up quickly with superb purpose made lenses which will make everybody buy them for their better performance. All of that needs to happen very soon.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited December 2014
    That's a rather rude comment.
    I was stating what is likely to happen exactly as have occurred for any major change. Just look at Sony alpha sales after their mirrorless was released.
    I'm not going to stop shooting with what I have, but I will think twice before buying any more knowing that 2015 is the year the transition starts.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    edited December 2014

That's a rather rude comment.
    Thought it was funny .. :D
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    If new Nikon lenses for mirrorless, also came on an adapter that can be removed so they can be mounted on an F mount, that would be a coup and go a long way for customer loyalty.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Lots of sick humor here.......
    Msmoto, mod
    If new Nikon lenses for mirrorless, also came on an adapter that can be removed so they can be mounted on an F mount, that would be a coup and go a long way for customer loyalty.

... H
    H: I can only imagine that idea would mean glass in the adaptor which, like a teleconverter would degrade the image quality. That doesn't sit well with me.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    Lots of sick humor here.......
    +1
    On another thread, someone suggest I sell my house :(
    Somthing i find sick, very offensive and totally irrelevant to the subject
    there justification being simply they disagreed with everything had written
    Post edited by sevencrossing on